Register now to get rid of these ads!

Back When Detroit Still Remembered How to Swim- Pics

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by notebooms, Nov 23, 2008.

1. notebooms

notebooms
    Alliance Member

Since a lot has been mentioned of the Life mag image search, here's some goodies i found and posted to Bolus (there's also a new little post on El Mirage, so click the link and check it out....)

[​IMG]

Back when i was a kid, every year we'd go to the Detroit Auto Show at Cobo Arena. It was huge and grand looking to me, even in the late 70s, but grandpa used to tell me stories of how much *more* thrilling the auto shows were back in his own earlier years. According to him, everybody flocked to the auto shows, one of the most grand spectacles, to see the latest great cars and what Detroit had in mind for all of our futures. Looking at the above picture (1950 Paris Auto Show,) I completely understand that thrill.

Nowadays, it seems like cars have evolved into bland, commodity tools--- and since a socket looks like a socket, people don't get so excited about them anymore. New cars aren't bold. Aren't fresh every year. Detroit grew up. Detroit's grown old. Like BB King said, "The thrill is Gone."

Is rescue money really going to solve the problem? Perhaps the auto industry folks need to study these pictures (early 50's auto show pics from LA, Chicago, Detroit, NY and Paris) so that they can remember what they were and recall how they used to lead the swim instead of crying for the lifeguard.

[​IMG]
    Load the family in and see how everyone fits! (Los Angeles Auto Show)

[​IMG]
    Transparant power (LA Auto Show)

[​IMG]
    Back before people got offended about having Indians in logos (LA)

[​IMG]
    Free family pictures in the new shoebox convertible

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can check out all my old auto show pics on my flickr here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/notebooms/sets/72157609479613963/

-scott noteboom

Last edited: Nov 23, 2008
  2. speedtool

speedtool
    BANNED