Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Back to the 50's

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scoop, Apr 14, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scoop

scoop

It's still on as far as I know, but with all the stuff happening in Minneapolis are you still going? I'm not, and my family agrees.

loudbang and Mario p herrera like this.
  2. BJR

BJR

Back to the 50's is in St Paul. I live 4 blocks from the fair grounds, it's calm here, so far.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. scoop

scoop

Ya, I know where it's at. But you have to drive to and from places and I don't know if I feel safe.

4. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

The twin cities are as safe as they have been, as long you stay out of the hot spots(Brooklyn center and lake st at night) and no reason to take a old car there any way.

5. We would love to come up. Have family we stay with in Brooklyn Park on the River. Ironically my exes sister lives 75 yards away with my nieces and nephew. Talking with Jen and Jeff I am sure Waltz will nix the event. I feel for you guys in that State

6. hotrodharry2

hotrodharry2
    from Michigan

7. BJR

BJR

It will still go on, the trial for Chauvin will be over before then, and all the riots will be over from whatever the verdict is. The trial for the latest issue will be way after BTT50's. So it will be fine for the 50's.

8. You sir are an optimist

9. BJR

BJR

Thank you, I try to be. But I consider myself a realist.

10. He won't let 100K folks gather and have fun.

MMM1693 likes this.
  11. BJR

BJR

Who is he?

12. Walz

13. Fairgrounds @ 322 acres (14,020,320 square feet) = 10,000 people per the dictator's unseated outdoor event calculator; on the other hand Menard's 7000+ capacity. Makes sense; right.

rusty valley and Tman like this.
  14. Crocodile

Crocodile

I and a few friends are planning on going. I will be monitoring the climate through a few buddies down there, however.
    I stay with a friend in Bloomington, so that should be calm. And most of the riff-raff is probably not too active as early as we head in, and we don't usually stay that late.
    A few in my group usually stay in Brooklyn Center, they will be looking for a different motel elsewhere, I think. Probably a good year to find a new spot, as I think there will be cancellations.
    I believe a person should stay informed and make wise decisions. But, you don't get anywhere living your life scared, either.

Frankie47, rockable and stillrunners like this.
  15. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is coming perilously close to politics.

Remember, this is a traditional Hot Rod forum, guys.

16. rusty valley

rusty valley

As stated earlier in this thread, the only problem areas are 38th and lake st., the St George memorial, and the new thing in Brooklyn center. The rest of the cities are safe...well, there is the 350% rise in carjackings, and the mpls chief told us last year to not go out alone even in daytime, but whats the little details? I still go to the cities once or twice a year if i need parts because nobody would ever think of hijacking the crap i drive. Oh, yeah, we were talking about the 50's event, not to worry there, thousands of old hoodlums to keep it in order

17. Closer t
    Closer to safety than politics.......

ahshoe, j3harleys, Crocodile and 9 others like this.
  18. Casey Riley

Casey Riley
    from Minnesota

I'll be there unless I'm dead. Or unless they cancel it.

19. rusty valley

rusty valley

To sum it up, as a life long resident, not downtown, 35miles sw of the cities, the same places that were unsafe most of my life, are even more unsafe today. That does not include the state fair grounds or any of the surrounding suburbs for a motel for those in need

20. rusty valley

rusty valley

Closer to safety than politics....... quote from @stillrunners , 35 likes

wicarnut likes this.
  21. wicarnut

wicarnut

My favorite big car show, because of the times/problems I will not attend this year, some of my car hobby friends are thinking the same way.

22. Belle53

Belle53

i've heard stuff from what i'd call reliable sources , but really it's anyone's guess as to what will happen

what i do know is it is not listed on the schedule of events for the state fairgrounds

https://www.mnstatefair.org/fairground-events/

23. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

I plan on being there unless there is some weird restrictions. You guys need a bit of perspective. Just the act of driving 30 miles to anywhere is THOUSAND's of times more dangerous than anything you will encounter in the Twin Cities. Car accidents are the leading cause of death for people aged 1-54. After that it is heart disease. Unless you plan on walking through North Minneapolis with your Klan outfit on, you are much better served to worry about the drive than anything else.

cavman, impala4speed, Chucky and 2 others like this.
  24. Man, I wouldn't trust a 1 year old behind the wheel. No wonder poeple die!

norms30a, Chucky and A Boner like this.
  25. OLD REK

OLD REK

Closed border crossings kinda makes the choice easy for us CDN's.

26. MMM1693

MMM1693
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There is still some covid things up in the air I'm told. I'm betting Walz will wack it again.

Tman likes this.
  27. BJR

BJR

That's a real bummer for you guys. I have met a lot of you guys at BTT50's, had a few drinks and lots of fun.

1959Nomad likes this.
  28. It was nice chatting with you in 19. That was my girlfriend that was with me. We had been together for 4 months at that time even tho we met in 5th grade. We got married last fall

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
    Nicholas Coe and BJR like this.
  29. Almostdone

Almostdone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Grew up there, have family there. It’s a big place; don’t worry, be happy. Go to the show, have fun, enjoy the 12,000 cars.

John

1959Nomad and rusty valley like this.
  30. i plan on being there. i will take my responsibility for my own safety. always have always will. better to have and not need. trouble can find you anywhere not just in a troubled area.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.