Register now to get rid of these ads!

Back in my garage

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by Low Buck Larry, Dec 7, 2020.

1. Low Buck Larry

Low Buck Larry
    from Elgin Il.

This project was originally started by me back in 1978. Life got in the way, and I got rid of it about 1997. The person that I sold it to never finished it either. Enter Vince Anderson. Vince worked on it for a couple of years, got it together, and asked me if I wanted a ride in it. The rest is history. The car was originally built as a coupe, back in the mid 50's by teenager Don McQueen. He got a brand new '56 Buick 322 v/8 for it out of a brand new '56 Buick that was involved in a fire at a Buick dealership. He coupled the engine to a '38 Roadmaster trans, and a '37 Ford rear end. His friend, Ron Adelman created the most distinctive part of the car. The finned aluminum valve covers on the engine were cast by Ron in his high school shop class. In the early 70's, Don sold the car to Dale Anderson,{Vince's Dad}. Dale had the car for several years, even strapping his aluminum boat to the roof for a fishing trip to central Wisconsin. Then for reasons known only to Dale, he took the Coupe body off, and sold the frame. The next person got another coupe body for it, but lost interest after about a year. The next person decided to go with a more modern frame, and sold me the chassis, complete right down to the handcrafted Ron Adelman valve co. vers. Rusty coupe bodies were expensive, even back in the late seventies, so I decided to go with a glasss '29 roadster body from P&R Parts unlimited forthe princely sum of $695. I put a floor in it, got the engine running, and then life got in the way. I'm glad that Vince found the car, kept everything pretty much the same as I would have done , and I will try to finesse it for Spring. {what else have I got to do in this lockedup covid mess} 20201031_145913 (1).jpg 20201031_145925.jpg 20201031_153739 (1).jpg 20201031_153749.jpg 20201107_153047.jpg 20201107_153109 (1).jpg

Attached Files:

2. Welcome to the HAMB. Was in Elgin earlier today. Interesting project. Also enjoyed the magazine article.

3. Lloyd's paint & glass

Lloyd's paint & glass
    ALLIANCE MEMBER