Register now to get rid of these ads!

Back in Black! rpu build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dodgerodder, Apr 12, 2009.

1. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

See you at Billetproof then, should I be able to elbow my way thru the crowd! I'll be there regardless of the truck, sometimes they let me in, sometimes they don't. Gary

2. 49F1Jeff

49F1Jeff
    from Oregon

I just found this thread and read the whole thing. All I can say is WOW! :eek:
    Your work is the definition of amazing and what really makes it is having done this with your dad.

Here's a list of what you should change on the car:

;)

3. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I know Dan really appreciates the nice comments and the friendships he has formed here. Helping him on this car (and also helping his Brother Don on his projects) has been the light of my life too. But I have to say all the ideas and work on this rpu has been 100% Dan. You always want your Kids to be better than you and Dan and Don have done that. He does drive me nuts sometimes because he just won't bend, but I guess that is why his car is nicer than mine. :eek:

When I look at Dan's rpu it not only makes me proud but amazes me how he has evolved over the years. I know his membership on the HAMB has played a big part in that with the exposure to so many extremely talented people who so willingly share their knowledge. Thank you to all of you who have supported him during the good and bad times in this project.

I know a lot of people see a Father-Son car build and naturally assume the Dad was the guiding force in the build. In this case the reverse is actually more accurate...........Dan did all the work and I kept the garage floor swept and helped him lift stuff when needed. The rest is all him.:) As Dirty Harry said "A man has to know his limitations", and I know mine...........I could never in my life have built a car of this calibre.

Don

4. They have better taste in women than you do too...........;)

5. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Bob, it isn't my taste that is the problem, it's my ability to GET better women ! :eek: :D

Don

6. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Dan, I've been watching your RPU build during the last couple years.
    What an outstanding job! So many great ideas and VERY nicely executed.

Congrats!... I hope you can put a ton of miles on it this year.

Malcolm

7. sololobo

sololobo

Holy Hairpins, that baby is so beautiful! Loves me some RPU's, spot on coolness. Looks like rubber to the road very soon! Congrats!! ~sololobo~

8. You three are lucky to share a garage together and work side by side. That rules!! :cool:

9. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

Well hopefully if all goes well me & pops can get the loose ends wrapped up this weekend. I am almost afraid to even say that, don't wanna jinx myself...............

Bill, thanks bud, I really appreciate that. With some luck I'll get a few more miles out of this go around haha

Gary, that'll work. I definitely want to check out your truck man, have you been putting some miles on it?

Hey, long time no see:p. Why couldn't you have gotten us into something trouble free & relaxing, like knitting:D

Hopefully we can get this thing done soon so we can get back to work on your project!

No doubt, me & my brother are lucky dudes. Getting to do this stuff together is the best, love ya pops

Bob, don't let pops fool ya. We are both looking for a sugar mama haha

Malcolm, thanks a ton for that, I really appreciate. I think I have the longest build in history haha. I really hope to get some miles in this year for sure

Thanks man! Hopefully with some luck I can take a little spin this weekend (crosses fingers:))

That's the truth my friend, the coolest thing ever

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  10. grovedawg

grovedawg
    from Heber, UT

I'm glad you finally found the money tree and finished her up. When you get a second can you harvest a little more and send it my way! ;) Congratulations again. Saying this rpu is amazing isn't enough.

11. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

I hate to break it to you, but my money tree never came back, that's why it took me so long to get it going again:eek: haha

Thanks for the nice words gd, I truly appreciate

Last edited: Jan 14, 2012
  12. i was wondering lately how you where coming along , we cant hardly wait to see your ride finished .. tell your dad hey man from kenny!

13. miraclepieco

miraclepieco
    BANNED

Usually I hate it when readers criticize or offer suggestions for someone else's build, but in this case he's right: it would improve it to break up the black a little.

14. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

Well, me & pops had a GREAT day today. Got all the loose ends wrapped up, & got to take the rpu out & get some drive time in today! I am deathly afraid of jinxing myself, but the car is running really good!

The engine really is crisp & clean running this time around, so I think we are on the right track.

Today was a cool day, & really cool night, but we did quite a bit of day driving, & went out to dinner tonight, taking a pretty long trip, about 50 miles. Knock on wood, we had a great night. REALLY felt amazing to drive the car, it's been so long.

Here's a few pics of the thing all back together:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And even better a couple moving videos. Megan Fox was not available to go with & do the camera work today, but pops was:p.

A little spin around town today:

And a brief moment to step on it a little on a back road:

I will sleep SO good tonight, it really feels amazing to finally have this back together again. As always, I want to thank my pops for all his help with this, thanks pops, you're the best!!

Thank you for looking everybody, time for some sleep:D

Last edited: Jan 14, 2012
  15. out of fuckin sight man , excellent job Dan!!

16. 60galaxieJJ

60galaxieJJ

17. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

Kenny, thanks a ton man! It was really great to drive it today. I will tell dad you said hello

I appreciate JJ

18. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

You got that right Bob! That's about the only thing I have said all day!

19. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

Dan your roadster pickup is my favorite build. Thanks for the posting the videos. I pretended I got on it after the first stop light!

20. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Big congrats on the road test! FYI, I just registered (on line) for this car show in Punta Gorda on Feb 26 at the Muscle Car Museum. I'll be visiting old Navy buds who retired there and going to the show.

So drive the truck up there so I can see it and you can get your first best of show trophy! Gary

Open Car Show at Muscle Car City
    WhenSun, February 26, 8am – 3pm
    Where3811 Tamiami Trail N., Punta Gorda, FL (map)
    DescriptionGo to http://premiumc​arshows.com/w...rick-treworgys-​muscle-car-city​/ for more info.

http://premiumcarshows.com/wppremium/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/corvettes-of-charlotte-co-1.pdf

Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
  21. striper

striper

Thanks for the ride Dan

22. Old Roadster

Old Roadster

23. After all that hard work taking it for a ride and hearing that sweet sound had to put a huge smile on your face! Congrats on a beautiful ride, love the sound!

24. I see the cowl vent was open. How warm is it there?

25. The37Kid

The37Kid

Sure glad everything is back together, and you're on the road again. Your car has a lot of great features, but the cowl and firewall details are the ones I find really pleasing, I've even got the Chrysler white paint picked out for mine. Thanks for the motivation, I'll go work on it later today. Happy New Year! Bob

26. hasty

hasty

Stunning!
    Congratulations - it looks and sounds really amazing. Have fun in it.

27. hotrod mike

hotrod mike

Glad to see you're all fixed up again and the changes you made were just perfect. I like it even better now. Congrats man, now go out and have some fun, you deserve it!

28. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Your too modest old fella, I'm sure Dan loves the hell out of ya Don.

29. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Dan great job dude, at least this year i will get a ride in it at last, can't wait [​IMG]