Register now to get rid of these ads!

Back in Black! rpu build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dodgerodder, Apr 12, 2009.

1. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

It's rad looking Dodgerodder!

2. Can't wait to see the shiny body to match the shiny frame.

3. Django

Django
    from Chicago

4. 42hotrod

42hotrod
    from S.E. Idaho

Tell us a little more about the rear suspension and show some close ups please, Very creative, looks like 1/4 elipticals with a 4 bar and panhard??

Scot

5. looking

looking

Cant wait to see this around Ft. Myers area

6. Mopar34

Mopar34

Read all about your PC problems posted by Don Sr over at CHR. Glad to see you have it all back together and it's looking great. Will you, by chance, have it ready for this year's Daytona?:eek::D:D

7. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Absolutely gorgeous simplicity...

8. Roothawg

Roothawg

When I grow up I wanna be a Dodgerodder.

9. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

Wow, thanks a ton for the support guys, I really appreciate that!
    Getting this thing together once & having to go thru it again kinda knocked the wind out of me, but I feel really good about it now. I almost forgot the zillion hours of sanding & prep work it took............TWICE:p

It is far from perfect, but I am proud of it!

Thanks Doc! It's definitely not the textbook 100% traditional frame for sure, but when it is all together it will work ok I think. It should be reliable & strong to beat on, & something that I can drive the crap out of. I appreciate the fact that the Hamb has overlooked some of the new things about the car and not let it get in the way of looking at the car with an open mind. It should appear to fit the part of a hot rod with a few upgrades that will make it a little different.

No, not Bleed for sure, but I'm trying:D He & so many Hamber's raise the bar to make you try a little harder. I appreciate the compliment!!

Thanks Rich. I am really excited to get the body on too. My original plan long ago was to build the car in suede. But as it goes along I now definitely want it shiny!

Scott, it is Posies quarter elliptics with a Pete&Jakes 4-bar & panhard. Give my a few minutes, I'll dig up a couple pictures. The thing that I liked is that the rear springs hide under the skirts of the bed, so it makes for a different & clean looking set-up

Wow I didn't know there were any Hamb'ers in Ft Myers. Not a lot of good hot rod activity going on:eek:

Man I hope so......I have disappointed myself too many times missing Daytona. I'm not trying to jinx myself, but I better be able to make it this year. If not, you'll see the unfinished car for sale in the Hamb classifieds right after Thanksgiving :D

I assure you that you don't...... If you did, you would never finish a car!!

10. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

Well, these aren't the best pictures, but they'll give you the idea. The 1st shows where the springs hide with the bed on, & then what it looks like assembled. Hope these help a little

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. dv8

dv8

Still looks awesome, Dan!

Great job!

12. Chris Cissel

Chris Cissel
    from Fresno Ca

Power coating looks great. Love the 4 link set up

13. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

Thanks man! Hey, I somehow missed seeing you @ Billetproof btw. I was in disguise myself:D

-

14. brentthebarber

brentthebarber
    from San Diego

beautiful build dodgerodder!

15. Church

Church
    from South Bay

Nice work man. Looks tits.

16. Cshabang

Cshabang

badass......GET TO WORK!

17. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

Well, me & my dad have made some progress on the engine. It was rebuilt 3 years back, & never was even fired. It has sat so long in the dirty shop though, there was bound to be lots of grinding crap that found its way into it. So I used the chance to make some upgrades.

I first stripped all the old paint since I am going to change color anyways.

The block was bored 30 thousands. I wanted to bump the compression up & upgrade to forged pistons. Of course it seems that .030 pistons are on major back order. I ended up getting the block remachined .040 over, and got new pistons.

The machine shop also line bored the block, & decked the head-mounting surface of the block a bit. I also had my GA heads redone with stainless valves, better springs, and had the heads decked as well.

I also got a new cam too, so I am ready. We got the crank, pistons, & cam back together. Over the weekend I hope to get the motor & tranny into paint finally, & get it mounted in the chassis very soon.

Not terribly exciting pics, but it's progress. I am really excited to fire the thing up, it's way overdue:eek:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Skirv

Skirv

Freshly machined engine parts look so nice. Is the new engine color a secret Dan?

19. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

I know, I love the look of that too!

The new color isn't so much of a secret as it is undecided:p

Damn I have changed my mind about 67 times............
    I guess I better figure it out by Friday. I have decided to do the frame in black though:D

20. mosimpson

mosimpson

Dan

Your frame looks great. I can't wait to see the motor sitting in it.

21. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

Hey, thanks man. Speaking of, I am getting closer!

This weekend we got the motor, tranny, intake, & misc pieces into paint finally after a couple of long days work. I sprayed it all with epoxy primer, then Imron, & I really am happy with the result. I have never sprayed Imron before, but I like it! It sprays very nice, is very forgiving, & is glossy as hell! If I can spray something & make it look good, the paint must be forgiving:p

Heres a couple/few pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then I got excited & wanted to set the carbs on for a little look, and in my infinite wisdom I set the back carb on backwards:eek:

[​IMG]

I also bent & ran my stainless front brake lines to the frame, so I can get the motor in:

[​IMG]

I also really needed to polish my valve covers, they are really dull. I also spent some time with a dremel & smoothed out a lot of the casting marks in the recesses of the valve covers, and repolished them. It made a big difference I think:

BEFORE:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

AFTER:
    [​IMG]

So it's getting there. Hopefully by the end of next weekend I can have the motor & tranny back together & mounted in the frame finally-I am excited! Thanks for looking

Dan

metalhead140 likes this.
  22. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

That looks awesome, Dan...glad to see your back in the saddle again!
    Thanks for the update.

23. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

lookin good !

24. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

Hey, thanks guys. Keith, have you been up to anything with your project lately?

25. Looking good Dan. The valve covers look great. It is going to be s hame to cover up that chassis with a body after all the work you have put into it but man is it going to look incredible when you are done. Decided on a color yet?

26. And that's just the frame!!! That thing outta be
    georgeous when she's all together.
    I want to build one of those so Fn bad.
    It'll be perfect for cruising out to Sanibel and Captiva and hanging at the Mucky Duck or Bubble room.

27. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

Bondo and beer, Dan..bondo and beer!

I hope to be shooting the color and shiny stuff within a couple of weeks!:D

28. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

2nd times the charm?
    looks awesome..very nice work.
    shame to cover it with a body ..eh?

maybe just put the engine and drive train back in it with a seat and drive it that way..

I'll take the body off your hands..you can just drop it by anytime..

real nice work man.

29. LOW DOUGH

LOW DOUGH
    from Sachse, TX

30. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

Thanks!! Man, getting old is a B-I-T-C-H!! We worked at the shop from 2pm saturday til 6am sunday getting it all prepped & painted, & I am freaking dead today:p

The valve covers were looking pretty tired. They aren't perfect, but good enough! The color thing is always a pain to decide. I THINK that I have it figured out, but I don't want to say that I decided on teal with magenta heartbeat graphics yet & kill the suprise:D

Thanks man! Hey, I take it you have been to Sanibel & Captiva
    -beautiful area! That would be a great trip on a nice day for sure. I haven't been to the Bubble Room in a LONG time! Cool place though.

My 2 favorite things!! Actually, 1 of my favorite things-I HATE sanding:p.

I gotta see some pics of your car, it will look GREAT in color! You're not gonna steal my idea of the teal/magenta graphics paint scheme, are ya??

I will be glad to cover it with a body-that means I can finally drive the damn thing! I may sit on a cardboard bod & test drive it without the body though.......

If I do I'll have the body delivered to you:D