Register now to get rid of these ads!

Back by popular demand! 55 chevy 2-door CONVERSION MANUAL!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CSU55Chevy, Dec 14, 2007.

1. str8axle55

str8axle55
    from MA

Great thread, I have 2 sets of doors, and want a 2 dr wagon. Any one have a 4 dr 55 wagon around cheap?

2. Studebakester

Studebakester
    from Oxnard, CA

Someone may have said this already, but I would think that the doors from a mid fifties, the tri-years, Pontiac, Buick or Olds would probably work as well. The basic bodies were very similar in design. Anyone out there tried those options? db

3. Squablow

Squablow

Pontiac 2 door sedan doors work, but not Buick or Oldsmobile. Pontiacs used the same doors for the sedans and hardtops, and you can use the door pillars and rear quarter windows from the Pontiac too if you have access to them.

4. lilclay81

lilclay81
    from illinois

man that is amazing work i keep looking at four doors maybe i will i have to try that. and go the cheap route and get a clean four door

5. It would cheap you can open the doors and walkon the ground!:eek:

Attached Files:

6. Too cool!

I swear, if you found a way to turn straw into gold, someone would bitch about how you f'd up a perfectly good load of straw :rolleyes:

7. 2Loose

2Loose

This works great if you are in the lower 48 where the doors are available. Over here in the middle of the ocean, those doors are impossible to find in ANY kind of condition! There are always the fiberglas doors, and I have considered that, but the freight to Hawaii is killer, kills off many a project !!!
    So my gasser project stays a 4dr, but what the heck, a 4 dr gasser? why not, keep the bench seats with good, safe kiddie seat tie downs for the grand kids in the back seat (yeah, I am grandpa material.....)
    Got the motor between the front rails tonite, the motor is not together yet, still waiting for a couple packages of parts to arrive from across the ocean, but I will fab the motor mounts (and the drop out cross member with it, as I want to be able to easily drop the oil pan)
    I reduced your thread to a Word document and printed it out, it is stapled across the wall in my shop, right next to the same Word document I made up from the 'Shakey Puddin' thread! Both the best threads I have seen in a long time on the 'net....
    Aloha,
    Willy
    (My gasser thread, will update it in a couple of hours....)
    A pix from earlier this afternoon....
    [​IMG]
    Aloha,
    Willy

8. James Maxwell

James Maxwell
    from So-Cal

Great information! If only more people would do this...help spread the word!

9. James Maxwell

James Maxwell
    from So-Cal

That, and making something out of nothing. This is brilliant!

10. 2Loose

2Loose

Yeah, my running 6 cyl 3sp stock rusty holes here and there 4dr 55 chevy was given to me, nobody wanted it....
    I'd make a 2 dr out if it in a minute if I could find a pair of reasonable doors...
    But making a gasser out of it seemed a reasonable thing to do, as I had a lot of the "makins" hangin around in the storage shed....
    W
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

11. James Maxwell

James Maxwell
    from So-Cal

If you're doing the Gasser deal, throw some fiberglass doors on that bad boy! Lightweight for shipping.

Aloha Bro.

12. rustbucket65

rustbucket65

That's ingenious saving this thread for possible future use. Thanks!

13. 2Loose

2Loose

Checked out the 'glas doors, they wanted to double the cost of the doors to ship to Hawaii....
    Still might do it....
    Aloha,
    Willy
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

14. James Maxwell

James Maxwell
    from So-Cal

Cool, this information could solve a lot of problems for all 4-door tri-fivers.

This is the answer!

Like the old saying, make Chicken Salad out of chicken chit. :cool:

15. 2Loose

2Loose

Many years ago I was at our local dump, and two guys came in towing a '56 Chevy 4dr rolling chassis! Asked them what they were doing, and they said "It's a 4dr, nobody wants it...."

Well, I do, so I hurried home and got my tow straps and a couple tires (no brakes on that '56) and a couple buddies, and we hurried back to find the dump operator had already flattened it with his dozer! When I asked him why he did that, "Well, nobody wants a 4dr....."

I could have easily shot him!!!

16. I think you could take two four door front doors. cut them in two and make a 2 dr door of the proper length. any my son Zack is gonna try to build a 2 dr gasser from the best parts of these gems.:) OldWolf

Attached Files:

Tall t 26 likes this.
  17. Squablow

Squablow

Hell, I could build two cars out of what you have there! Good stuff.

18. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

This guy in Australia didnt have access to any two door,doors either.
    and the best I can remember the green one used part of the back door to lengthen the front ones also.

Attached Files:

Tall t 26 likes this.
  19. FLIPSYDE

FLIPSYDE

very unselfish of you, 2share your info like this. way to pay it forward my friend.

20. The sun came out yesterday heres what got done.:) Also caught my wife Debbie Playing in the 55 2 dr wagon! OldWolf

Attached Files:

Tall t 26 likes this.
  21. Wew went and got what is left of a 55 2 dr yesterday.You dont get much for $100.oo:eek: OldWolf

Attached Files:

22. 2Loose

2Loose

Well, the roof looks pretty good, if I was chopping a top that would come in handy! What condition is the frame in, one-piece or two piece?
    Aloha,
    Willy

23. Two piece frame its good has all suspension componets. The rearend is just a housing with axles.Also it has the rear window hardware and garnish moulding. The guy has a dozen that he will sell for $100.oo . I posted pictures of them on the tri five website.:cool: OldWolf

24. 2Loose

2Loose

Yeah, for $100 I would jump on a couple of them, too bad I live in Hawaii !!!
    W.

25. davsel

davsel

Hi again I sent you a contact by email but please post here too! NICE WORK!!!

26. b52

b52
    from Detroit

Anyone know if theres an "easier" install for a/c and heat into one of these shoe box cars? I am doing this conversion, and while I was at it I figured I would install a/c and upgrade the heating system, and was wondering if theres a good option to remove from another car and install into this. I am going to keep factory look on the dash with the controls, and prob just hide everything.

27. Gearhead79

Gearhead79

Very very Cool! Just not sure I like the idea of cutting the new 2 doors latch panel to make fit on the 4 door B pillar. I understand now they are different. But why cant the door striker plate or section on the 4 door B pillar simply be cut, relocated and welded smooth to meet the doors? This seems easier. Or....is there anyway to find a B pillar section (sheet metal patch panel) online and weld it on the 4 door B pillar? I like the idea of keeping the new doors untouched despite the whole thing is a custom leap. Any suggestions other than cutting the doors is gladly appreciated. Thanks.

28. We bought another 55 2 dr shell we now have enough parts ganged up to build two gassers. Anyway this is a great thread. Old Wolf

Attached Files:

29. benchseat4speed

benchseat4speed
    from Golden, CO

Sweeeeet:cool: another one saved. You gotta make a build thread or photo album on your profile or somethin

30. CSU55Chevy

CSU55Chevy
    from Olathe, CO

Hey guys, I logged in today for the first time in probably a year and a half. This car, as well as my 56, and my 55 big window step side have been sold. I am focusing on my 57 two-door. But as far as any more progress on this 55, it was sold in essentially the same condition you saw here. A local body shop owner bought the 55 because he thought the conversion was so clever, he just had to have it. And he offered me a job on the spot. Ha! Other than that, I really don't wrench or weld on hot-rods anymore. Gettin wrapped up in my journalism endeavors. Some day I will do something with my 57...

Good luck with your conversions! My one piece of advice, "just do it." Stuff can always be welded back together...