Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Baby Moons

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by knucklenutz, Apr 15, 2018.

1. knucklenutz

knucklenutz

I am currently running 35 Ford 16 inch wire wheels on my '29 AV8 Tudor. I would like to run alternative wheels. I have what I believe to be late 40's Dodge/Plymouth 16 inch 5 on 5 1/2 rims. They have hold down clips that face inward. I have spent a lot of time searching for a source for Baby Moons to fit. No success. Can anyone offer a source ?
    P1050176.JPG

2. Deuces

Deuces

I'm sure someone will respond...;)

3. 2935ford

2935ford

Depending on the size, Hubcap Mike has Chev truck '40-'63 baby moons that may work?
    They use a similar clip setup.
    [​IMG]

4. Alaska Jim

Alaska Jim

Not trying to hijack this thread, but, Who is Hubcap Mike and How does one contact him?

5. rudestude

rudestude

I know a hub cap Mike....he is a friend of mine... don't know if it's the same one that you are looking for....you didn't give much info...like what state would maybe help..... the one I know is at the Portland swap meet every year....he lives about 7.3 miles from me... I'm in Oregon...

Sent from my QTASUN1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. Steves46

Steves46
    from Florida

Google. His shop is in California. Good guy to deal with.

7. knucklenutz

knucklenutz

I tried Hub Cap Mike. You can reach him here : https://hubcapmike.com/
    No luck with Baby Moons for 16 inch Dodge truck wheels with 5 inward facing clips. Anyone else ?

8. Stooge

Stooge

This style cap uses the clips but I cant guarantee they will fit the opening in the wheels you have, but could be worth asking them for some dimensions before you buy, they've been pretty helpful to me in the past when I've ordered from them, (I've bought both the clips and different looking hubcap from classic parts for other cars before)

https://www.classicparts.com/1937-59-Hubcap-1_2-Ton-No-Lettering/productinfo/64-195/

9. Alaska Jim

Alaska Jim

Thanks for the info guy's, I appreciate it. ----Jim

10. rudestude

rudestude

I have a 27 Buick that originally had wood wheels but the owner had these after market wheels installed around 55-56 they have clips like what your showing and the caps are 8"across on the inner ring where the clips grab and 9" over all...and the wheels 16"...[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my QTASUN1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. I was in the same pickle and needed center caps for my aftermarket wheels [old rusty chrome reverse/sandblasted and painted] on my 48 Pontiac. I went to my local semi truck accessories outlet [truck stops have this stuff too] and found a cap that worked for me.
    Also......once I needed a way to attach center caps to my dodge cop-car wheels. I went to the ford dealer and bought some 80s-90s ford ranger hubcap mounting plates. They go under the lugnuts and have a series of clips around their outside edge...small enough to fit inside the wheel and takes a ranger or small aftermarket "baldie" cap...again, available at truckstops.

48poncho.jpg

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
    jnaki and lothiandon1940 like this.
  12. low down A

low down A

I used the 40's mopar wheels because they have a 4-1/2 in bolt pattern you can find them in 4 inch and 4-1/2 inch width's. baby moons,dog dish what ever you want to call them are very hard to find. I know of no aftermarket caps that fit. what I use are the 46-48 Chrysler caps and yes you can find them without the logo stamped in. they are two piece steel with a stainless cover

13. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

check out car and boat trailers... buddy just bought a set of "holesclaw" innie caps...