Register now to get rid of these ads!

Babbitt bearings

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bart78, Jun 8, 2012.

1. Bart78

Bart78

I was just wanting to know if anyone knew what it would do. And sence I have gotten two answeres I jusy decided to hell with it and going to just do it. The process in line of site. If I only do the top part witch is the part with the rust it schould not hurt. But for how good it has cleaned other stuff I will do the whole thing.

2. BangerMatt

BangerMatt

3. Commish

Commish
    from NW Ok

Matt, that table is for the corrosion of dissimilar metals in seawater, two different metals of different makeup will actually set up their own little corrosion cell and generate a low current with one acting as anode and the other as cathode with the seawater as the electrolyte. I imagine if you sunk an old cast iron block with the babbit intact in strong saltwater and left it, it would do exactly that.

What this discussion has been about is an impressed current system in a cleaning solution as the electrolyte, I am really curious as to how the experiment turns out.