Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods B4Cdan, or Just Another AV8 Build Thread!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by brett4christ, Jan 5, 2013.

1. OK, here it goes.....

Most have seen my original thread on my good fortunes in finding and bringing home my first bona fide hot rod. If not, you can catch up here...

http://jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=706054

For those that have already seen it, read on.

Back in May, I purchased a Model A tudor sedan from the recently widowed Mrs. J. Carl Jenkins (Jenkins Rod Shop here in NC) had purchased the car from another gentleman, Mr. Baker, back in 1996, but had done nothing to it other than drive it in local small-town parades.

As found.....

[​IMG]

First "fitting".....

[​IMG]

At home.....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mr. Baker used to work construction for a general contractor all over the southeast, mostly in the NC Triangle area. The GC once asked Mr. Baker what of his would he like to have. Mr. Baker had always admired the gentleman's auto collection, especially the Model A's in the mix. Later on, the GC offers Mr. Baker the sedan, as a token of his gratitude for Mr. Baker's years of service. Mr. B stated he couldn't afford it and would not accept it as a gift. "I'll sell it to you for a dollar!" Done!

I'd love to learn more about the history of the car, but the GC has long since passed. I DO know the car came out of Alabama!

Last edited: Oct 31, 2022
    oliver westlund and Stogy like this.
  2. Move on to July....

I am skimming the HAMB Classifieds one day and I see a for sale post listing a body-less 30 Deluxe Coupe chassis. We work a deal and I travel with my partner in crime to pick it up.

What I got....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I swapped the wheels/tires (old 15" truck steelies/new 17" Henry Wires) to get to this....

[​IMG]

3. When visiting Mr. Baker, he mentioned that he had the original engine for the tudor. So we made a deal for the engine, some small A bits and 2 antique NC license plates (30 and 31). I wanted the 30 plate since the car is titled as a 1930.

But researching the motor stamping, I find that it was tested in January of 31, which, along with other little clues, indicate that I actually own an early 1931 Tudor.

Several other items are acquired, a dual-point Mallory distributor, a couple updraft intakes (to cut/grind/destroy/test), a 36 Ford dash, extra taillight bits, 2 pair of headlights, among the prizes.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  4. Last week, my partner in crime and I visit a gentleman that is supposed to have a bunch of A stuff. When we got there, he had a TON....of British sports cars, Austin Healys, MGs, Triumphs....as well as several undesireable french cars (redundancy at its worst).

Among the mix, I find this pile....

[​IMG]

Got it all! The pile contained 2 A frames, one good for parts and one in nice shape with a complete front and rear suspension (well, no shocks), and the back half of a T frame (good for the spring and crossmember)! A couple little parts were in the mix, but not really important to my build. This is how I got them home!

[​IMG]

I think I'll build the good frame....clean it up well, box it front to back, paint it, get everything ready, transfer all my good stuff from my other frames to this frame....then swap my running gear and body to the "hot rod" frame. I will be running the original engine/trans/banjo and properly-set-up mechanical brakes....I ought to be able to make one set out of the three I have!

Don't hold your breath for any MAJOR updates as I have to finish my truck (part of the deal with my better half), but I will be posting as I find other little jewels.

Anyone with experience in similar builds, please chime in! I'll need tons of information and guidance as I set out on building a proper banger rod.

5. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

good score man i like it ,

Stogy likes this.
  6. cmyhtrod

cmyhtrod
    from ct

what about the Vette?

Stogy likes this.
  7. She's keepin' the split-window!

Stogy likes this.
  8. You got a great accumulation of parts.
    Looking forward to seeing this build.

Stogy likes this.
  9. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Cool, so now you start a build thread to get us anxious about a sedan that you are going to get to after a truck that has been in the works for as long as I've been on the HAMB. Way to get my hopes up. :D:D:D:D

Looking good! The 17" wires look way better! I can't wait to see where you take this thing. Keep the fenders. Keep the fenders. Keep the fenders.

Stogy likes this.
  10. Look at the POT calling the KETTLE black! :D HRP

Stogy likes this.
  11. Thanks HRP!

JJ, I'm working on the tudor "incognito"! :D I'll do something little, figuring if I do it often enough, eventually it will be done!

Here's what I'm aiming for.....

[​IMG]

....yes, with fenders!!!! Don't know who's it is, but I'd really like to chat with them!

Stogy likes this.
  12. As mentioned before, I'm going to run a banger with a few little goodies bolted on, just to break the "stock" mold. However, I do have a dilemma....

My tudor came with a late 29 engine that, according to Mr. Baker, was completely rebuilt by a local machine shop back in the early 90's. Taking into consideration the virtual lack of any miles since 1996 (Mr. J never signed the title, so no legal tags), and the fact that Mr. Baker was collecting parts and info right up until he sold it (he probably never put it on the road), I feel fairly confident that this banger should be in good condition......

[​IMG]

Then, there's the late 29 banger from the coupe chassis. The complete car looked like it was really roadworthy with a lubed chassis that is complete. The tires have some checkering, but from 5 feet they look brand new. The head has been off,as the liquid gasket running down the side of the block indicates.....

[​IMG]

The long shot (not really an option, but it may have been the superior engine in its day) is the early 31 that was original to the car.....

[​IMG]

My next task is to pull the pans on each one and discern which one looks to be the hopped up banger of the future.

Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated. I'll also copy this post to the current banger thread.

Stogy likes this.
  13. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah buddy! Your stash is getting as "bad" as the rest of us! :D:D

Love it! And I'm with Jeffey Cakes! Keep the fenders!!!

Stogy likes this.
  14. Thanks, Scooter!

And don't worry.....they're stayin'!

Stogy likes this.
  15. chevy54man

chevy54man
    from NC

Loving the car and the build! God bless you man!

Stogy likes this.
  16. Moedog07

Moedog07

Cant wait to see the "A" come together.

Stogy likes this.
  17. Thanks 54/moedog!

Got one of the "little things" done today. Had a moment to kill, so I stuck a newer 6v battery in the girl. Trimmed the rat's nest wiring away and reconnected the battery leads. With the plugs out, I bumped the banger over a few times. It was really all it could do since the battery was low. But I got it to turn over!

Put the battery on a trickle charge and I'll try again tomorrow!

Stogy likes this.
  18. A Rodder

A Rodder

Hey, progress is progress!

Stogy likes this.
  19. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Jealous.. Nice to see another A tudor getting done up right!

Stogy likes this.
  20. It sure is! Little things get you stirred up to do another little thing, or maybe something just a little bigger. Before you know it, you have a runner, then a driver.

Thanks TS! I know it's not much, and it won't be a Ridler winner, but hey, it's mine and I can do whatever I want (read "whatever I can afford")!

Again, thanks for the props!

Stogy likes this.
  21. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Love it Brett! Good luck!

Stogy likes this.
  22. PKap

PKap
    from Alberta

Great start!

Stogy likes this.
  23. Thanks Brer/PKap! Looking forward to driving this one as close to how it is now as possible. It'll be a long road, but I'll play the part of the tortoise.....

Stogy likes this.
  24. AHotRod

AHotRod

I'm so happy for your project and the direction that your aiming for with it.

Enjoy and God Bless!

Stogy likes this.
  25. Brett,,I'm just waiting for that post,,"IT'S ALIVE"!!! :) HRP

Stogy likes this.
  26. awesome!

Stogy likes this.
  27. olskool34

olskool34

Yep!

Stogy likes this.
  28. Thanks, I'm pretty stoked myself! :D

So am I, HRP, so am I! Maybe soon though.....help me out (read update below).

Your new A is awesome! Mine is coming along though, Thanks!

Thanks!

Okay, banger gurus, help me out....

Did a little more to the tudor this afternoon. I fixed a couple questionable test leads, then checked voltage at key locations (per my Les Andrews Mechanics Handbook Vol 1). At each location, I'm getting the proper 6V....starter block, each side of the coil, and at the points post just prior to the points. Also, I'm getting 6V to the rotor button from the coil.

Then I put a plug in each plug wire and rested the plug over each hole in the head. Keep in mind, there's no fuel to the cylinders! When I push the starter rod in, the engine turns over, but I get NO spark at the plugs. Does this indicate the points and/or condenser is bad? What else should I be looking for?

Stogy likes this.
  29. ....and for those of you in the know, I think my better half might be coming around.....keep your fingers crossed.

Stogy likes this.
  30. J.Barrett

J.Barrett

great plans! i like where your going with it, I have a pair/set of vern tardel split exhaust manifolds that would look great with that intake.

Stogy likes this.