Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage B-bop's Laid off, make the most of it Solo road trip

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by b-bop, May 23, 2016.

1. b-bop

b-bop

The following day we went to the Pomona swap meet. I debated with myself for putting a rant in here, but 6 months have passed and I am still a little pissed. We pull up to the gate for car show participants and they want to charge me for two vehicles because I have my trailer. I tell him I am shorter combined length than some of the dually trucks pulling in. He says rules are rules. I can go unhook the trailer and come back. I tell him I just drove 3000 miles to get here and may not be back before the show closes. Then the moron says I can just unhook it and leave it on the street. Yeah, sure, I will leave my accommodation, tools, food and everything else on the side of the road for someone else to take home. The was no talking sense to this simpleton, because he said I would take up two parking spots. So we drive all the way around to the public parking area and walk in. When we get in I see all kinds of cars after car parked all cockeyed and taking up in some cases 4 parking stalls. I wrote an email to the Pomona Swap meet folks, and never got a reply. That's what we call SHIT customer service up here in the Great White North.

We picked up some small goodies and a bunch of Hot Wheels for the little guy. I was hoping to pick up a couple more pedal car bodies, but the guy I bought the 55 that is in these pictures, was not at the show that day. Ughhhhhh, pissed off again.

So we hit the road. but not before Braxton did a massive burnout and got busted by Pomona's finest.

IMG_0860.jpg

Last edited: May 28, 2016
  2. b-bop

b-bop

OK, I just noticed that this thread is a "Featured" thread. What makes it a featured thread? Who has the power to give it that designation? I feel kind of special now, not special in a lick the windows-hockey helmet wearing-short bus riding kind of way though.. Bahahaha :)

NoSurf, brEad, OahuEli and 1 other person like this.
  3. b-bop

b-bop

Almost forgot, we caught the Derelict Donut show as well when we were in HB. My trusty traveling partner was a little slow moving that day so did not get many pictures. But at least I can say, "Been there, done that" and cross it off the bucket list.

Out like a light. Could not get him to wake up this morning.
    20151206_151708.jpg

Still yawning, guess the beach was too much work the day before.

IMG_0762.jpg

Still would love to have one of these some day, just to load up the 3 grandsons and go to the beach and for ice cream.
    IMG_0763.jpg
    The parking lot was already starting to thin out when we finally got there.
    IMG_0764.jpg

Last edited: May 27, 2016
    brEad likes this.
  4. b-bop

b-bop

After a week in the S0-Cal sun, we headed back to Vegas. When we got to Vegas I spent some time with the other two Grandsons, and kept looking for a break in the weather to head back home to Calgary for Christmas. Winter was upon us so I started looking at other options. I had built a sliding barn door for my daughters on-suite bathroom while I was down and I also cleaned up and organized their garage so everything was tucked into corners and on shelves. There was now room to park another car. She offered me the spot until I could come back in the spring to pick up the car. I jumped at the offer. I would have drove home myself, but because I had my little buddy coming back on the return trip I did not want to take a chance with the weather. So we tucked the Model A into the corner of the garage, and stored the teardrop at a friends house and caught a plane home for Christmas.

Stay tuned. The return trip home was lots of fun too.

brEad likes this.
  5. catdad49

catdad49

Great stuff, grand babies are precious. Can't wait for the trip home.

b-bop likes this.
  6. rdscotty

rdscotty
    from red deer

Great story, told very well.

b-bop likes this.
  7. Weedburner 40

Weedburner 40

What a great trip, and to get to share it with your grandson makes it magic!

b-bop likes this.
  8. DC40

DC40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great trip and making memories with your grandchildren is priceless, they grow up way to fast. Thank you for the great adventure. Can't wait to see the report on your return trip!!

b-bop likes this.
  9. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Hey there, sorry to hear about your experience at Pomona.
    Just for the heck of it I jumped over to their website and sent them your comments.
    Lo and behold they replied back to me.
    Here is what I got as a reply:
    Hi Larry,

Thank you for your message. We always appreciate feedback, even when it’s critical.

With regards to teardrop trailers, we don’t charge for them when they’re being pulled by a classic car… and we haven’t for 5+ years. It’s hard to respond to what happened with your friend, but I actually supervise the classic car entrance, and this definitely wasn’t brought to our management’s attention at the show. Now, keep in mind that we only have 7 events each year so our cashier’s only work for us 7 days out of the year. And we have turnover, with new employees at every event. It’s entirely possible that one of our employees misunderstood the situation, or our rules. If you’ve been to our show, you know that we have a LOT of rules because of all of the different situations that can come up. That said, we’re also extremely accommodating, especially with people who have travelled from far away.

If possible, please ask your friend to contact us. We’d love to hear from him, and to have a chance to make it up to him.

Sincerely,

Adam Johns

Operations Manager | George Cross & Sons, Inc.

Pomona Swap Meet & Classic Car Show

714-538-7091 x 16 office | 714-538-7080 fax

P.O. Box 3923, Tustin, CA 92781

2016 Events: Jun 5, Aug 14, Oct 16 & Dec 4

So, there you have it, drop him a line to see what he says.
    Larry.

alanp561, NoSurf, brad2v and 3 others like this.
  10. Boatmark

Boatmark

Aw man, we have to wait for the return trip?!?!

Great travelogue. I love that the adventure is worth putting the car out there. You can always fix a car, you cannot replace memories.

Love the parts with your grandson. They remind me of some adventures my grandfather took me on. I can tell you your grandson will treasure these memories long after you are gone.

Miss my grandad today . . .

catdad49 and b-bop like this.
  11. b-bop

b-bop

Wow, Larry, thanks for this. I am amazed. Like I said. The email I sent, never even got a response. I will send them a note and see what comes of it. Not sure how they will make it up to me though. 3000 miles is a long way to go for a swap meet.

12. b-bop

b-bop

OK, lets get back on the road. After having a break from the action for 3 1/2 months, it was time to head back to Vegas and pick up my car. I was still jobless so I figured I might as well go out and see some of the stuff on my bucket list. I have to send a big "Thank You" out to my wife who even though at times was a little worried about my unemployed state, said, "Go out and have some fun, figure out what makes you happy". It was like I was Billy Crystal in the movie City Slickers. Remember this, because at the end of this story, there is another reference to this movie. Ahhhhh, a cliff hanger. But I won't keep you waiting till next season.

My wife and I are very different in some aspects of life. Travel is one of them. She is a 5-star kinda gal, and I am 5-foot guy....as in the width of my teardrop. She shakes her head in disbelief in regards to my boon-docking adventures, but enjoys the fact that I spend very little on my vacations, so we can spend more on vacations together. My only cost when traveling is Gas and Groceries. In this trip I never paid a dime for camping. Geez you must stink when you get back is the thought of many, but here in North America, there is always a cheap place to shower. Most major cities have YMCA's and they are very accommodating to travelers. Showers are between $0 and $5. Every one I have visited has been very welcoming. Even when my grandson was with me, we visited a couple. The other place to get clean is any recreation center. Some have a "facility fee" for just a shower, and sometime, especially with the little guy along, we stop at a pool and get a swim and hot tub in at the same time.

Sorry, I tend to ramble and go on and on about boondocking, but it is just such a great way to travel......for me, not the wife.

TFoch, brEad, Sparked and 3 others like this.
  13. b-bop

b-bop

When I got to back to Vegas, I spent a couple more days visiting the daughter and my two grandsons. In payment for storing my car for 3 1/2 months, I offered to take care of the boys while my daughter and son-in-law went away for a weekend. Even though they live in Vegas, they never get down to the strip. So they decided to have a stay-cation and had a ball without the boys. Lots of people were amazed that I would take care of a 3 and 1 year old by myself, but I was a very hands on dad, and loved having just me time with the boys. Although the 1 year old can sure fill a diaper...twice a day. You could never say this kid is full of shit, because its always filling a diaper.

I took Sawyer to Slot Car city to introduce him to slot cars. (http://www.slotcarcity.com/) He had a blast. We were the only ones there on a weekday afternoon. The guy running the place is fantastic with kids. If you ever find yourself in Vegas with kids, I highly recommend this place. We have been back a couple of time. The last time even my daughter got hooked. I almost had to pry the controller out of her hand.

Could not get that grin off his face.
    20151227_154743.jpg

Rental car has seen its fair share of the wall.
    20151227_155310.jpg

Serious concentration.
    20151227_155506.jpg

20151227_155556.jpg

alanp561, brEad, Johnboy34 and 8 others like this.
  14. b-bop

b-bop

Leaving Vegas, I headed down to Havasu again to visit friends for a couple days. My plan had been to head north and visit all the canyons in AZ and UT, and mountains in Colorado. But winter was hanging on and in Colorado, the snow just kept dumping. So I decided to head to sunny San Diego and catch the Good Guys show.
    I headed west of Havasu on HWY 62, another great secondary highway with no traffic to speak of until you get close to Twenty Nine Palms. I spent the night in Palm Springs and headed out the next morning taking HWY 74 up and over the San Jacinto mountains. If you like twisty roads and awesome views, put this one on your list.

I love roads like this. May be part of my motorcycling DNA
    20160330_083114.jpg

This pic should give you a sense of what the road was really like. :)
    20160330_083311.jpg

Again, the GPS says it all.......Yeee haaawwwwww
    20160330_083316.jpg

Saw this sign in one of the rest stop/view points. Read it at least twice, maybe more so it really sinks in.

20160330_083854.jpg

Looking down on the Coachella Valley with the city of Palm Dessert slowly creeping up the hill.
    20160330_083922.jpg
    Camp spot on a dead end road........shhhh, don't tell anyone.
    20160330_090445.jpg

alanp561, brEad, rjones35 and 6 others like this.
  15. catdad49

catdad49

Keep em coming B-bop, I'm in for the duration!

16. Great story. I have traveled hwy 74. In a semi. Not for the timid.
    I hope to do a trip such as this soon, with my '50 Buick pulling my tear. Maybe see you some where in the outback.

Ben

b-bop likes this.
  17. Kiwi Tinbender

Kiwi Tinbender

Fantastic. Reminds me of my old travels through Canada in 87. Took my trusty, sunburnt `61 Falcon Wagon. Slept in Hanna, Alberta, in the back of the wagon, then ate a big breakfast in the Hotel, the only thing open. Celebrated my 30th Birthday right there on the road....

Keep posting. Great Inspiration......

18. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

b-bop likes this.
  19. b-bop

b-bop

Wow, that must have been a heck of a ride towing a long trailer. There were probably some corners where you could read the license plate on the back of your trailer .

alanp561 likes this.
  20. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Come on B Bop I need another chapter to read.

b-bop likes this.
  21. b-bop

b-bop

You may have to wait a day or so, it's a sunny beautiful day, and I think it's time to go for a drive :)

22. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Hi B Bop.Thanks for the ride along.Time with the Grand kids is priceless.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

b-bop likes this.
  23. qzjrd5

qzjrd5
    from Troy, MI

Awesome story! You are the man! Better than Jack Kerouac. Seriously.

b-bop likes this.
  24. dmorago

dmorago

love this thread. good work, good times, you inspire us

b-bop likes this.
  25. 1947vert

1947vert
    from Minnesota

This is by far the very best travelogue I have read on the HAMB. To combine a great streetrodding adventure and include your grandson makes this so very special. Can't wait to read more. I'm casting my vote for Bebop "Grandpa of the year."

b-bop, Bulletnose26 and INVISIBLEKID like this.
  26. Thanks for the ride along B-Bop! :)

b-bop likes this.
  27. bobo

bobo
    from New Jersey

I'm enjoying the trip, well documented and written.

b-bop likes this.
  28. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

What everybody else has already said........ x2:)

b-bop likes this.
  29. swifty

swifty

Way back on page 1 when you posted this pic I thought " There's a Crazy Canadian!!"
    Coming from a country where we hardly get snow I just couldn't imagine doing such a trip but you did and a lot of us have enjoyed sharing it with you. Great trip, great story. Well done.

b-bop likes this.
  30. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Patiently waiting :D

volvobrynk, firstinsteele and b-bop like this.