Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Ayala/Barris Jack Stewart '41 Ford arrives in The Netherlands

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Rikster, May 31, 2010.

1. shoebox1950

shoebox1950
    from California

Great story Rik- thanks for posting this! The car is in the right hands and I can't wait to see the progress...very cool!

2. I dug this outta the Custom Cars Trend Book. Sorry for the quality, the scanner has decided to be difficult today.:mad:

Attached Files:

3. Mr.Musico

Mr.Musico
    from SoCal

cool story..................., i thought the same thing........wow 666th post!

4. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

That would be so rad to be the new owner of a well-known historic custom. Congrats Palle and good on you Rik for helping get the car into the hands of someone who really appreciates what it is all about and plans to restore it to it's glory.
    Never saw those swirly details on the dash before - that's what's so cool about getting it in your hands...you can spend all the time you want looking for details that others never got to see.
    Looking forward to seeing a lot more on this - especially bare metal.

5. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

wow wow wow wow!
    congratulations palle!
    i know the car is in good hands,,,,,
    i'll bet you had a lot of sleepless nights waiting for that car to arrive,,,,

i can't believe the price,,,,,major, major score!!

6. SAVAGE

SAVAGE
    Alliance Vendor

TOOOOO cooool I want a ride~!!

7. Great to see another old historic custom ending up in good hands!! Cannot wait to see the progress on the restoration. Congrats Palle!

8. Rikster

Rikster

Yes the photos in the first Custom Cars annual (#101 from 1951) show the car at Gil's Auto Body Works... they are the only in progress photos we have (so far). We hope to find more along the way... but chances are pretty slim.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2011
  9. Rikster

Rikster

Most likely those swirly details where added by Bob Drake when he restored the car. In the 1954 Motor Live article the car is shown with a "stock" 1948 Ford dashboard.

We are still looking for the early 70's Street Rodder magazine with the article on the restoration by Bob Drake (the article was re-used in Street Rodder magazine 2001 or 2002) So if anybody has these in their collection.. please take a look at those. It might help us a bit more finding out the complete history on the car. Thanks

Here are some more photos from the ebay auction showing the dash...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 2, 2010
  10. Church

Church
    from South Bay

Awesome piece of history. It appears to be in good hands. I was there when it sold at the Icons of Speed auction and wished I had the loot to scoop it up then.

11. Hey Rik just did a quick scan of the index's for Street Rodder from 2000-2002 and didn't see it mentioned there but I didn't have time to go through the mags so when I get a chance I will see if I can find it.

12. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Congrats! What a car!!!!

If anybody has any interest in another old Hot Rod/custom there is a Pink track nose '32 on ebay that was featured in R&K a couple issues back. It was also at the GNRS this past year and happens to be one of my favorite '32 roadsters ever! I want it!!!!

13. yeah, like my '27 T or 30 Tudor....dammit man...

14. Sledge

Sledge
    from Nor Cal

Found this picture of the car at a Detroit car show in November '72 Street Rodder. Still looking for the restoration article! Sorry for the bad quality, I don't have a scanner.

15. Sledge

Sledge
    from Nor Cal

Shit! Let me try again!

Attached Files:

16. And you dont have the picture either:D
    Lars

17. You beat me :)
    Lars

18. Rikster

Rikster

Thanks Kevan...

19. Rikster

Rikster

There was.... but thats another story!!!

20. Well I have been through the 2000 and 2001 issues of Street Rodder and could not find a reprint of the article but I did find at the back of the July 2001 on the 20 Years Ago in SRM page a small rear 3/4 picture of the the car with the following caption..

"Though it may be true that some hot rods never die, the same could be said of certain customs. Bob Drake's '41 Ford Coupe had seen its share of owners as well as custom shops (most notably Gil Ayala's place and the Barris Brothers shop) before it ever landed in his driveway. Redoing the car decades after it was first built was something of a chore as well as a fairly unique accomplishment due to the lack of interest in cusoms in the late '70s!"

So is it possible the original article may have been in the July 1981 issue of Street Rodder rather than an early 70's issue? I don't go back nearly that far so I am of no help on that but might be worth a look if someone has it.

Also I wasn't sure what years you thought it may have been reprinted in Rik as you out 2001 down twice. I will look through 2002 this afternoon and see what I can find.

Any chance it was reprinted in Custom Rodder rather than Street Rodder?

21. Rikster

Rikster

Thanks for looking. Don't think it was in Custom Rodder. I have all those issues.. and I would have remembered.

The Hop Up 2002 mentioned it appeared in SR as a revisited 20 year old article recently... So yes you might be right and it might be in the early 1980's.

22. Well I know recently is a relative term but I think it is a bit of a stretch to be using that term for an article that was printed 21 years before hand LOL.

I will look through my 2002 and 1999 but thats as far back as I have so unfortunately if it was before that I won't have it.

23. koolkemp

koolkemp

Hey Palle would you be able to measure the height of the door window openings and the height of the windshield? I will be starting the chop on my 47 soon and I like the amount of chop on your new car!! :)

24. Sorry Rik no luck on my end. It is possible that I missed it but I looked through 1999-2002 and didn't see it.

25. Rikster

Rikster

Thanks for looking!
    the search goes on... Hopefully Bob Drake will remember which issue it was in.

The car has a Street Rodder sticker in the windshield... so it does make sense it was in the magazine...

[​IMG]

26. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

Great Job Rik,and cogratulations to Palle.That is a swell piece of history to be the proud owner of.Hopefully when he decides to go through the car he will make a thread for us to follow it.

27. I( hope there happy for a long time the the atthment between a man and his car is unreal, I couldnt tell you who my first kiss was from but I can still tell you anything
    about my first ride a 29 ford P.U.

28. Rik I found this site that lists the contents of the July 1981 issue of Street Rodder and it does list an article on a '41 Ford chopped coupe custom which is the same issue the 2001 Street Rodder I have refers to so I think that might be the issue you are looking for.

Here is the link scroll down for the July 1981 issue.
    http://www.carnut.com/store/mags/srmags/srmags.html

29. Rikster

Rikster

Thanks... I mailed the info to a friend in Australia who has a near complete collection... Lets hope he has this issue.
    If it is.. scans will follow soon.

Thanks

30. Just checked my magazine collection and it is in the July 81 issue of street rodder. Unfortunately my scanner is not working. It states in the article Bob had sent the magazine a bunch of material on the car. It was featured in early 50's HOP UP, Motor Life and Custom Cars magazines. The top was chopped in 1948 by Reggie Schlemmer's custom shop with Kenny Lucas doing the chop. Barris later rechopped the car and removed the drip rails among other custom touches as enlargening the front window and reshaping the rear window area. The train wreck apparently broke the dago axle and wiped out the bottom end of the Caddy engine. Interesting article. Hopefully someone on here can scan it. Rikster, if you are ever looking for an article on a car in a magazine, use Bill Jansen's car magazine index. It is a really good tool for finding articles. http://hotrodindex.150m.com/ Pat.