Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Ayala-Barris Jack Stewart 1941 Ford RESTORATION has started.

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Rikster, Aug 31, 2010.

1. chrisman

chrisman

Although I don't fully agree with pimpin paint on this subject, I think he has some valid points that are worth to be discussed with mutual respect. Nothing wrong with that, is it? That said, I think Palle is doing the right thing on this car. Who knows what the next caretaker chooses to do, that is up to that person to decide.

2. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Hey,aprils 1st was over 2 weeks ago!:D

3. strike a poser

strike a poser
    from Salinas,CA

Rik, do you guys gave a different calender over there? April fools was two weeks ago.

4. Rikster

Rikster

Totally agree... but we have been there and done that.

5. So it looks like you guys decided to go with the flow on this one. Well at least the air ride will make it a pleasure to drive and you get the best of all worlds when you control the height at a touch of a button.The car will get loads of attention by the masses now and be a hit at all the car shows.

6. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey Rik,

On the subject of the nu direction the project has taken......." OH, THE HUMANITY!!'' Did i miss the part 'bout the Art Morrison chromed frame, the four wheel dics brakes & the IRS from a late model BMW V12?:D

I think Palle may have mistook my statements, I've deep respect for anyone who builds a real kustom, especially in a foreign land! At the end of the day, he has to worry about pleasing no one but himself et. al.

My issue is with the changing of history, when you change or alter it, it no longer is extant.:(

" Meanwhyle, back aboard The Tainted Pork "

7. pregrid

pregrid

Damn near got me, til the dash and gauges, course I've never been accused of being sharp!!

8. beauishere

beauishere

Great job Rikster and troupe! However the car is finished, I'm sure it will be awesome as you have always shown great taste in your work. But (there's always a but)...

The discussion of history with pimpin reminded me of the debate concerning filmmakers going back and altering their iconic films. While one may argue that it's their right to do so, one may also contend that the new version no longer stands as historic, but as a totally new work. Same point with authors who'd like to change books 30-40 years after writing them. Kind of like going back to the Sun vaults and changing the mix of Elvis' early records (Let's add a drum machine!). Being able to do something doesn't necessarily mean one should.

I use these examples because the Ayala-Barris Jack Stewart Ford is as much a work of art as any famous movie, book or song. Heavy is your burden as part of the team restoring that masterpiece because it's a fine line between restoring and re-building.

I support you folks in whatever you do, but my humble two cents is that if the profile or any of the lines, wheel wells included, are changed, then the name of the car has to be changed as well to, at minimum, include the new owners name. That may have been the objective all along, but it's certainly the right thing.

Good luck. I look forward to the outcome.

9. bob t!

bob t!
    BANNED

Cut the roof off and install a bubble. With the cost of Cromalusion paint being so expensive it might be cheaper and it definatly will get more show points. I'm sure Jack will agree.L.O.L.

10. Sledge

Sledge
    from Nor Cal

Nice choice of wheels guys! Although, I think raising the car up and running those Donk wheels pictured on the Monte Carlo would be better!

11. Excellent changes for the car, though I would run custom 32" wheels sent you some pics.

12. shoebox1950

shoebox1950
    from California

Rik, that's the best reply I have ever seen...

13. steveb

steveb

Rik, I'm so glad you came to your senses & threw out all that "traditional" styling that you & Palle were planning. NOW, this once old tired custom car will be OFF THE HOOK!! Boy-eeeeee.
    [​IMG]

14. Wellsville

Wellsville
    from Sweden

HA HA,, that was funny,, I needed a laugh :) Thanks guys! Now BACK to the GOOD work ,, Thanks for showing the progress Palle,, looking forward to see this one cruise around in Denmark in the future.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
  15. HAHAHAHA! I nominate Rik for the SmartAss of the Year award. That was Hilarious.

and on the actual note of this thread... I can't wait to see the finished product... or refinished product.

16. customcory

customcory

I got to thinking about the wheel openings. Ayala might have simply been trying to make the openings more GM like. I mean look at a 49 Chevy and the top of the w/o is flat. I think it was a attempt at modernizing it. It also matches the straightish line on the top of the skirts. Cars were going from round to squarish openings by then. Customizing back then was a mixture of good looking mods and trying to have the newest look on something. Maybe Barris was supposed to finish them out in the corners , when he rounded corners everywhere on it, and ran out of time. Y'all think about it.

17. 00 MACK

00 MACK

Push comes to shove, the car was never on anyones favorite list. The reason for that is because of the wheelwells and the color that it has been for the past 40 years. Had it originally been done as Palle is going to do it, it would have been as popular as alot of its contemporaries. There will be no shortage of pics showing how the wheelwells once looked. I congratulate Palle and Rik for taking care of unfinished business and making the car what it should have always been.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2012
  18. shoebox1950

shoebox1950
    from California

Well said, Anthony...I think the fact that Jack Stewart is still around and that Rik and Palle are respectfully consulting him for advice on his old kustom, and that he is approving the minimal changes...go for it. It's not like you're putting a mustache on the Mona Lisa with a sharpie, people....calm down

19. Karl stark

Karl stark

On a practical note, how about provisions for mounting a snow plow, wouldn't want winter weather spoiling all that fun!

20. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

I definately don't like to tell folks how to build theri car, and I am truly impressed with the quality and amount of work Palle is doing on his car, but after lots of thought, I think I tend to side with pimpin'.
    For the same arguments he makes, I wont' repeat them.
    As one example, there was a A GREAT ealry Ford custom in NJ, called the Fordillac, locally, owned by Jimmy Nolan. 39 or 40 Ford with a 39 Buick grill, chopped, Caddy engine. Everyone kenw it back in the day. Well, make a londg story short, Jimmy's brother took over ownership and it sat for over 20 years in a garage. A friend finally bought it off him, and sold it to Donn Lowe. Donn was going to build it for himself, but wound up selling it....and completing the restoration of it, to a wealthy customer. Unfortunately, Donn installed a M2 front end, and some other bits, as well as using modern 15 in wheels, insead of the 16's it always had. While I truly admired the car, for it's workmanship and quality, it still bugged me that they changed it. No one would really SEE the differences, but they were there, it was a changed car.
    Next, when we built the Kopper Kart clone, it would have been easy and chaper to use any old straight six, or even a V-8, but we went through the trouble to use the Corvette intake and exhaust, so even if the block wasn't a true Vette six, it certainly looked exactly like the Kart's original one.
    We also did the body as correct as humanly possible, and took great pains to duplicate every nuance, even ones that seemed ungainly. even ugly! Even the paint, the scallop design, had some glaring issues, which we dutifully duplicated, even though if we changed them , not too many people would ever know, and the paint job certainly would have looked better. or at least flowed better in design.
    When it came down to having Alan Johnson do the striping on it, there was a HUGE interpersonal issue with the somewhat distasteful cartoons on the tailgate. I was the only one who pushed for their inclusion, as it was the way the truck truly appeared. But I was outvoted, unanimously, one of the arguements being that even in the truck's heyday, you often did not see the tailgate, either it was covered with a showcard, to hide the Jefferies cartoons, or suspiciously not included in the phot shoot, probably censored by the publishers!
    In any case, go with what you believe is right. Everyone has their own opinions. But don't criticize a purist like pimpin paint for stating the obvious, the car did not come that way!

21. OK guy and gals I hope this helps some of you with Palle's decision to change the wheel well design? I stopped by Jack's house on Tues to ask who's decision and why was the wheel well designed the way it is now. He told me it wasn't finished the way he originally wanted it because he ran out of money and they were running short on time entering the car in a show. I showed Jack some pictures on my computer that Palle and Rik had sent me showing the new wheel well design, instantly Jack said "YES SIR that's the shape I would've used if I'd had the money" Jack totally agrees with Palle and Rik on this wheel well change and he's really happy to see this re-build taking shape, he just hopes he's able to see the finished car again. Jack wanted to thank everyone for all their input on this subject.
    Craig

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 21, 2012
  22. Way to go Craig! Isn't it great to be able to speak directly with people who are still with us instead of having to rely strictly on speculation! There will always be camps divided when it comes to restoration work as both sides have their valid reasonings. The way it ACTUALLY was, or the way it WOULD have been had circumstances allowed. This hobby's great because there's room for all!

Thanks for taking the time to add Jack's own thoughts on this!

-Dave

23. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

I'm the ONLY person that will ever say this, but I actually kinda like the old wheel wells. They gave the car visual interest and kind of distinguished it as not just another sled. But then again I'm severely chemically imbalanced and have spend my life seeking out weird odd ball things that are less than desirable to others. :eek:

24. Rikster

Rikster

This is the photo we send to Jack to review. And the portion with the front wheel opening he is holding in the photo Craig is posting comes from this Photoshopped file.

The top image shows how the car was, and the bottom photo shows the proposal of the new wheel opening how the car will be.

Only the sharp corners have been rounded in a way Jack would have done it if he had the time and money back in 1949-51. The rest of the opening will remain the way was it has been since 1949.

[​IMG]

25. emiliedk

emiliedk
    from denmark

Thanks Craig..its good to see Jack is back! we are happy he liked this version. I think it looks fabulous, and it only takes a few changes. I will show you some pics next week, as I already made a couple of new small corners to see how it looks!

And thanks Rik! excellent work as usual..

thanks for all your comments, that was what we where looking for. its fine if you agree or not. the changes will be done, now that Jack said it was just like he wanted it!

the body is over the frame, and only needs a couple of small mods, to fit. I realized I didnt have the right wheels for the car. it came with mustang wheels when I got it..so the search is on.
    dog dish!..I got mail thanks!

and Craig..tell Jack i'll do whatever I can to reunite Jack and the car!

have a nice weekend
    -Palle

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 21, 2012
  26. Sledge

Sledge
    from Nor Cal

well I guess that settles it!

27. emiliedk

emiliedk
    from denmark

Hi Kevan...
    Hows everything on the merc farm ha ha!!

-palle

28. Sledge

Sledge
    from Nor Cal

Hi Palle, I got more mercs sprouting up all the time! hahaha. I should be getting some good work done soon! Im really liking the photoshop Rik did for your car. Perfection!!!

29. Yep, that makes a huge difference, it really finishes it off.
    [​IMG]

30. Joey Anchors

Joey Anchors

I have to shoot this car! it's coming a long so well. glad someone is taking the time to save these old pieces of history