Register now to get rid of these ads!

axle length on a 9 inch rearend?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RUDOG, Aug 12, 2009.

1. RUDOG

RUDOG

I brought my axles into Currie Enterprises in Anaheim, Ca. for them to duplicate my 9 in axle w/ the ball bearing instead of the taper bearing type, so I keep it the same as the passenger side. They said okay & said maybe I should leave the passenger side to see if it's bent. I got them back today and they are both the same length. Isn't one side suppose to be longer than the other side?? I could have sworn one side is longer!!....Help! I'm second geussing myself!!:eek::eek:

Thank you....

2. RUDOG

RUDOG

Oh Yeah! it's a 1958 Ford Truck rearend. The length I measured was 29 3/4" from the back of the flange to the end of the 28 splined end.

Thanx..

3. RAY With

RAY With

As I remember it the 58 ford truck had a longer axel on the left (drivers side) than the right. I haven'r seen a stock 58 axel from ford with a tapered bearing. The normal bearing is a 88128AR bca on the truck and station wagon and all the HD stuff.

4. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

It depends on pinion offset. Measure it.

5. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

I had a 1959 Ford F-100 9 inch rear end under my 48 F-1 ... years ago. I pulled both axles and had new axle bearings done at NAPA. I believe they were both the SAME LENGTH.

I remember looking them up in a Hollander exchange ... and it seems that they were listed as 30 inch and right side and left side interchanged.

:)

6. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You didn't mention the model of the truck, so I'll assume it's off a F100.

Hollanders says the axle is 30" long and the same for both sides. Fits all F100's from '57-'65, except P/trac. Ford p/n B7C4234A

7. jackandeuces

jackandeuces

My experience with Truck axles 57 to about 70 both axles are about 29 3/4 as you stated

8. Buzznut

Buzznut

IME they have always been the same length...

9. RUDOG

RUDOG

Well here is my follow up on my axle situation. I talked to Currie & they said measure from the 2 o'clock position stud to the end of the housing flange for measurement of 22 5/8"on the driver side of the 3rd member. and then measure for the measurement of 22" from 10 o'clock position stud to the end of the housing flange on the passenger side. It was those measurements!!!!... So he said I can use those 29 3/4" axles for the Driver & Passenger...So I'm up and running by this weekend!!

Thank you & I hope this helps someone else if they are in question...

10. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Some 9" fords have an offset pinion, some don't. When I say offset, I mean if you view the driveshaft from above, it runs at an angle. May seem crazy but a driveshaft does not know if it's angle is up/down or side/side.

good luck

11. Drive Em

Drive Em

If you have the same length axles on a 9" Ford, your pinion is offset to the right approximately 2 1/8". If you have one 9" Ford axle that is longer than the other by 4 1/4", you have a centered pinion.