Register now to get rid of these ads!

axle ID help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sephgato, Sep 7, 2009.

1. sephgato

sephgato
    from fenton

I picked up this axle yesterday because I wanted the wide five hubs and rims, but I am confused by the axle/spindles. The spindles look like 32 but are missing the swept steering arm and are cross steer. they have deep backing plates and mechanical brakes...when did ford start hydraulic brakes? wide five wheels?
    any help on the year would be great, some one made a trailer out of the set up and bolted on a bar from the spindle to the perch pin hole, I am hoping the pins were removed.....the zert fittings in the spindles took greas too! I did a search and didnt really find any difinitive answers.

Attached Files:

2. unclerichard

unclerichard
    from Michigan

I believe that hydraulics on Fords were 1939 and cross steer was 1935 which still would have been mechanical brakes yet

3. bbtom30

bbtom30
    from so. cal

Axle is 32-36.Ford started wide 5 wheels in 36.Hydraulic brakes started in 39.Picture of the spindles is not too good,but I think they are 35-36.bbtom.

4. axle is 32-36 , spindles are 35-36, drums are 36....so i will guess it's all from a 36

5. sephgato

sephgato
    from fenton

I will be checking to see ig the perch pins were removed, if they were and the spindles move freely I may use this instead of my 46 axle I currently have installed on my car.
    Thanks for the Info guys.