Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Axle I.D. help needed

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Dubbzilla, Jun 19, 2015.

1. Junk yard find today…is this what I think it is?!?

Measures 50 1/2 on king pin centres at the top of the axle.

36 1/2 on spring perch centres on top of the axle.

2" spring perch boss.

Not sure what those weird spindles/backing plates/drums are either.

I know what the other axle with the bones attached is.

Thanks guys :)
    axle 1.jpg axle 2.jpg

2. F&J

F&J

Yes,

you suck :)

3. geoford41

geoford41
    from Delaware

looks like a 1932 Ford as they say "heavy"

4. holy shit eh?

I'm still hesitant to believe it.

Before I jump up and down…I'll wait for a few more folks to weigh in.

5. And then…why and what the F is hanging off it from the KP's out? haha

6. Manager

Manager

7. F&J

F&J

squirrel probably can tell. Or, start with the wheel lug pattern. If it's 4-3/4 Chevy, maybe it's from early Chevy vans with straight axle?

Did you ask the scrapyard when the stuff came in? I wonder if an estate clean up is going on? Geeez, you need to wonder what else was there, if it was an estate.

I'd also measure the king pins in the 32 axle or compare with the other later Ford axle, as I suppose they might have bored out the axle pin bores? If they did, I sure it could be sleeved

8. So, the full story is.

Me and my buddy are out quoting on a carpentry job, and on the way home he says to me…some guy has a bunch of 21" spoked wheels for sale…lets go look at them. We go to this auto junk yard where we think they are.

Guy with the wheels isn't there…but they tell us who he is. Turns out my buddy knows him…he works at a scrapyard about 10 mins away from the auto junker.

I had some other stuff to do, and my buddy likes to route around the scrapyard when he's there…so I drop him off and he goes over in his own truck.

Shortly after, he texts me a picture of a 37-41 complete banjo rear….spring…everything.

He found a bunch of old car stuff buried at the bottom of the pile set to be crushed.

Scrapyard guys said some old guy sold it all for scrap earlier in the week.

So I just confirmed his inkling to buy whatever he could for weight…I said ya! Grab it all!

I drove over to meet him...to take some stuff in my truck too.

When I show up…I see this! And I'm like…wow…I think that's a 32 heavy…but I've never seen one in person.

Moral of the story…my buddy saved a bunch of great stuff from the crusher. And now I need to convince him to let me have this axle :)

9. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sure looks like a stock drop '32 heavy to me. Not quite sure on the backing plates. Looks like extra holes for bolt thru shock mounts. Good score!

10. Update!

My buddy's total score was $170 CDN for both those axles/frontends you see…plus the absolute complete 37-41 rearend…and 4 solid 19" spoke wheels…all from the scrap pile.

I traded him a mint, mint original model A frame and rear spring for this 32 axle.

So at the end of the day…I got the axle I wanted…and he's got the makings of a good roller w/o rubber for $170.

Today was a good day!

bowie likes this.
  11. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Nice score on the rest of the stuff.

But 32 heavy axles are ugly. The Hamb is the only place you see guys get all excited about them! Not sure why. I had one. I gave it away. A dropped standard axle is like the neck of a swan.

F&J likes this.
  12. HAHA, trying to start a coast to coast pissing contest??

13. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

No pissing contest. 32 heavy axles are decidedly bovine looking.