Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Axle flex question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 3banjos, Sep 1, 2017.

1. 3banjos

3banjos
    from NZ

Out of curiosity, how much flex should one see on an I-Beam axle ( 4" drop ) when jacking.
    I was swapping rims on the coupe, and normally I would use a bottle jack under kingpin, but the kelsey rims i had on have a 4" back space and couldn't get close enough. Used my trolley jack under perch area.
    Removed wheel, and placed bottle under kingpin so I could jack opposite side with trolley.
    When lowering axle down onto bottle jack, noticed a significant amount off vertical movement in the drum. Would that be considered normal.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Mo rust

Mo rust

It will surprise you how much a beam axle will flex. That's why you can use a beam axle with split wishbones but it's not a good idea to use a tube axle with split wishbones. The beam axle will flex and the tube axle won't.

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I always figured that was designed into the I beam axles. Part of why factory I beams of any make tend to hold up as well as they do. When My 48 got hit back in the 70's the axle was bent at more than a 90 degree angle but didn't crack or break.

4. They are pretty wiggly to start with then we drop 'em. A forged I beam will take a real beating, well if it is a good forging it will. I have straightened forged axles that have been severely bent and seen them go a long time after the fact. They are just tough.

An original non dropped Henry will flex quit a bit and never loose its shape, and once you drop one it adds a little extra bending torque to it, think of it like using a cheater pipe on a breaker bar. They still hold up real well after dropping, but the flex would be more noticeable.

Work In Progress likes this.

5. Mo rust

Mo rust

I took this picture recently at the Speedway Museum in Lincoln. Ford axles do bend before they break. I have a buddy with a super bell axle that he broke in half when he dropped a tire in the ditch on his roadster so I'm not sure aftermarket axles are always as flexible. axle.JPG

Montana1 likes this.
  6. bct

bct

if you lay an axle on the ground with split wishbones attached ,pointing straight up, you can twist it an amazing amount by hand.

Atwater Mike likes this.
  7. 3banjos

3banjos
    from NZ

They're an interesting piece of metal alright. I was just surprised how much it moved between perch and kingpin.
    May have to tie my camera to the frame and hit the roads.

bct likes this.
  8. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

'32 'heavies' have more 'constitution'. All the rest are surprisingly resilient. Chrome Vanadium. Signed, Henry Ford.

9. BJR

BJR

I am surprised that no one has twisted one a few times and got the king pin angles correct and used it. I think it would look very cool in a car.