Register now to get rid of these ads!

axle dropping jig question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by atotalnincompoop, Jan 11, 2010.

1. i have seen a couple of threads on here regarding the construction of an axle dropping jig, however a couple of points are still unclear to me...they may seem obvious but i just want to clarify

when setting up the jig, and i will use an old spindle welded to the upright leg of the jig to hold the axle end, should that upright be at exactly 90 degrees to the base or should it be toed in or out?

also, how is the other end of the axle, the end that isn't being dropped at that time supported? i have seen where others have made a brace that keeps the axle from twisting, but what keeps the axle from staying at the right height in relation to the spindle?
    or is it just measured and blocked up or clamped?

2. alchemy

alchemy

The spindle shouldn't be toed in, but it should probably have one degree of camber. Not sure if you were meaning what you asked, or were using the wrong terminology.

Early Ford axles have one degree of camber (at the assembled wheel). BUT, Ford did change this sometime (1937?) to zero, so it may not be that important.

3. thats exactly what i was asking, i would hate to make the tool, bend my axle only to find out i am out of whack a bit

4. Rex Schimmer

Rex Schimmer
    from Fulton, CA

Do a search on the HAMB for dropping axles because I think that there is a thread on dropping axles by the young guy in central California, can't remember his name he built a flathead A roadster on a TV program,. Anyway his tooling works really well and he has done a number of axles.

Rex

5. Dick's Beaters

Dick's Beaters

Titus covers it twice in the tech archive

6. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Yeah, people have probably been doing this here and there for a long time, but I want to say titus was the first guy to appear on the HAMB dropping his own axles.

7. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I will never understand why someone would want to take the time to build a jig just to drop an axle for themselves. If you think your going to make a living doing it I've still got the deed to the Brooklin st. Bridge and there is a blue light special running all of Janurary.:rolleyes: You'll probably only ruin a half dozen axles getting the process down, if you ever do. Too many reputable people already doing it bother. IMO

Frank

8. Harms Way

Harms Way

Hey buddy just remember, you may own the bridge itself,... but I bought the pylons it sits on from the same guy,..... (just wanted to make sure you didn't get to big for your britches :D)

As far as the jig goes,.... don't make a nincompoop of yourself !

9. I was talking to Sid of www.droppedaxles.com and he said there are a few tricks to not junk an axle and he has a badass jig he made, just floors me to watch that in operation.

10. I helped my friend drop a few axles, he made a SWEET jig, but it sure takes some heat, we use two torches and theres usually 3 of us to do them, but hell try it.