Register now to get rid of these ads!

axle center line

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chevydude#1, Oct 12, 2011.

1. chevydude#1

chevydude#1
    from louisiana

Hello to all,
    I've got a 41 chevy sedan and i will be locating the rear axle center line soon.I know the axle is forward of the center line due to the off set perches on the original axle. Under the frame on each side there is a bolt, looks like it use to be a bumpstop, also looks to be perfectly located on the centerline. It looks like I could use these bolts to locate my axle center line. Is this correct? I will be putting a new rear axle and a four link with bags soon, this is why i need to locate the specific placement. Thanks in advance.

2. RDR

RDR

the center bolts are approx 11/2 " forward of axle center....the rebound rubber you mention is over the center of the axle...... a 41 Chevy has a 116" WB

3. chevydude#1

chevydude#1
    from louisiana

Thanks for the info. That will make locating the new rear end a lot easier!

4. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I remember putting a 57 Chevy rear end in a 40 Master Deluxe coupe I had years ago and I had to weld a pad to the bottom of the spring pad and drill the hole for the locating bolt forward to move the axle back. The original Chevy rear had the hole drilled forward of the centerline, as I recall.

Don

5. It's no different than a rearend upgrade in a 49-54 Chevy.

The stock axle is centered. It would only be off center if another rearend was installed without compensating for the offset pins. If it is, I did mine on jackstands with a tape measure from the center of the front axle, eyeballed it, and measured the center of the wheel arch and marked that as well. To get 115" on a later axle I used custom lowering blocks as the pin needed to be just ahead of the metal on the existing perch.