Register now to get rid of these ads!

Axle camber problem..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by darkk, Oct 31, 2013.

1. darkk

darkk

46 ford pickup: Not sure if this front end is salvageable yet. It looks like some one did some work here, they put in a 3" dropped axle but it don't look like it was done properly. The camber is way off...I think. the Rt side has about 1/4 deg positive camber and the Lt side has around 2 1/8 positive. On the right side upper king pin area,the spindle backing plate looks like it's touching the axle at the thin arrow and you can see a small gap and see the king pin at the fatter arrow. I'm getting kind of #%(^& @ at this damned thing. I already have to replace all the tie rods, ends etc, I haven't gotten the steering box out yet to see if it's useable or not. Should I try to repair this mess or start over?

Attached Files:

2. alchemy

alchemy

Don't worry about the gap between the top of the axle and the spindle. They should never touch. The bottom side of the axle is where the spindle touches (at the bearing).

Everybody says (I've never had it done) that big truck alignment shops can slightly bend your axle to fix those camber issues. Your's looks like a perfect case for this solution. Trailer the truck over to the shop and have them tweek it.

3. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

The gap can be taken up with a shim kit that comes with the king pin set, ask around and someone may have shims left over from a front end rebuild. Any good alignment shop that works on trucks can repair the axle. Just looked at Brattons, 800-255-1929, catalog, and they have .010 shims PN4370 at $0.35 each.