Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Avoiding waste of money...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by F-ONE, Feb 9, 2021.

1. Buying good used stuff that already works and borrow tools. Make it run and drive it around.

BigDogSS, Rusty Heaps and F-ONE like this.
  2. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

I stick to one project, or part of a project at a time. I buy the things I need to complete that task as I can.

I used to be constantly searching the friend network prior to the internet, or Ebay and Craigslist once I had access to it, and buy everything that piqued my interest. A lot of it never got used. Over time, I cleared a lot of that stuff out.

I currently have one car that I want to put power brakes and power steering on. Buying the brake booster is the next purchase, and my son offered me a free p/s box today. Once those are done, I need a chassis for my Henry J, but that's going to be a big money purchase for me if I can find somebody to build it.

Devin

1959Nomad and F-ONE like this.
  3. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Money will get spent on something. It just doesn`t just sit their. Be it your wife, your kids or the house. It will get spent. So live a little and enjoy what you like. My wife and daughter like going to the store. They ask if I need anything, my answer is almost always no. So my daughter asked why I like swap meets. I told her it is like going to the store. You don`t know what you want until you see it. She now understands. I think, money spent on something hard and tangible like a car part isn`t a complete waste of money.

X-cpe and F-ONE like this.
  4. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Well, what did I do today....?
    I wasted a perfectly good (brand spankin' new) part.
    Things were going well. I got one of the front brakes done on the 51 and it was time to install the new bearings and races. I could not find my tool (a big brass drift) so I tried to make do. I had a bright idea. :rolleyes:

By the way, the big brass drift is by no means the tool for this...it can work.

Here's the main thing about installing races. The goal is, not only to get it seated properly, but to get it seated properly without f-ing it up.:confused:

I got it down alright but it looked like hammered catshit. It was much worse than the old ones I removed and those races and bearings were filling the front hub with glitter grease.

I got too far into it.
    I got stubborn.
    I knew better while I was doing it yet I did it anyway.

Those backwoods ideas and fixes usually wind up biting you right square in the ass.

Money saving tips...
    Keep up with your stuff because when you loose it, you'll need it. Since you already have one somewhere, your are apt to do stupid stuff.
    If you don't have the right tool, get it or rent it or make it.
    Don't get stubborn.
    If that little voice says stop....Your gonna screw this up.
    Listen.

5. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

In our humble opinion, there are two things that should be the most important in any build. One is safety and the other is reliability. If money is spent on making sure your hot rod or car is safe, then that is money well spent. Start with the brakes, suspension, alignment, seat belts, handling, etc. those are the keys to enjoying driving the old hot rods, however they are modified.
    upload_2021-2-23_5-11-58.png
    My first 40 Ford Sedan Delivery needed new brakes all around, front shocks and a new bulb in the rear brake light. For some reason, we lucked out and that old Flathead powered sedan delivery took us all over So Cal from the Mexican border to Santa Barbara more times that we can count. There was never a problem with the sedan delivery other than a flat tire in La Jolla and having to put in a gallon of reclaimed oil to get home safely. (no money for a full rebuild of the motor from 1960 to late 1964)

No leaks, no smoking and ran well with all levels of gasoline. It was a mystery sedan delivery, but as the Energizer Rabbit had the attitude of continued longevity, “It Keeps Going and Going and Going”

Some of the other slogans would be a great example our first 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery:

“It Takes a Licking and Keeps on Ticking”
    “Don’t Leave Home Without It”

Jnaki

For some reason, it did start up with the first click, never leaked oil and ran well enough for us to enjoy our teenage lifestyle as surfers and hot rodders. We did not have much to worry about, except to find good waves and the next grilled, cheeseburger/fries/Coke combo. (also if the Flathead power with a full load of teenagers and surf stuff was going to be able to make the Coast Highway climb in 2nd gear or have to pull over into the slow lane in first gear?)

Safety first, then reliability is the key for us. It is never a waste of money. Even in our 2nd 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery with a 327, it was almost finished, but it took us a long time to get it to the point of reliability and safety before we attempted those cool road trips all over, with more power and A/C for my wife.
    upload_2021-2-23_5-22-13.png

TrailerTrashToo and F-ONE like this.
  6. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Spot on!!..and thank you.

I have to say this, it is always a privilige to read anything by Jnaki.
    Thank you sir. It's an honor that you posted on my thread.

jnaki likes this.
  7. Put me in the club where your hobby doesn’t have to make a profit. I value parts I bought from a guy at a swap meet or salvaged off a car myself higher than something you order of the net or from a catalog. If I have something in inventory to give or sell to someone to move their project along, that is a good day. I don’t have a lot of vices, so my old car hobby can be a time and money waster, within reason. I have worked a long time, have assets and a pension. Time spent with like minded car guys or among my treasures is an investment in my mental well-being in what I hope is a balanced lifestyle. Enough of that - out to the shop!

F-ONE and TrailerTrashToo like this.
  8. jnaki

jnaki

Hey F,

Wow, those are some very nice comments about my stories. I am privileged to be here on this fabulous website. I hope I have contributed something from our old adventures. I have learned to pick and choose stories from little parts of our long time history.

My wife is/was an English Major in college and has kept me sharp with writing as much as this old brain can do. I have learned that some little things can add to other's stories or at least sparked some interest.

In essence, "with a little help from my friends," I can hopefully continue to participate.

Jnaki

Thank you, again... My wife will also like those comments. She and I have, literally, grown up in the hot rod/photography world and all else the world has to bash against us over the years.
    We don't waste money, but she keeps a lid on money well spent. For her, safety and reliability is a necessary part of her daily driving...as much as the current pandemic will allow.

Budget36, dana barlow and F-ONE like this.
  9. I used to worry about all the stuff I didn't have, then I went out and got it. Then I spent all my time worrying about all the stuff I had. I got rid of all that stuff and all the new stuff I got. Now, I got no stuff and a lot more room in the shop...so, to solve the problem I'm gonna get a bunch of stuff.

F-ONE, Beanscoot and Truck64 like this.
  10. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

Tools --> I have network of friends and family. For tools that are used only on occasion or specialty tools, we tend to share. For instance, I have a blast cabinet setup, friend has a shop press, another friend has an engine hoist, etc.

F-ONE and 1959Nomad like this.
  11. Seems like I'm always finding a use for parts I squirreled away years ago from other projects...

I do this for fun- not profit. My boat is a bigger money drain than the car...

F-ONE likes this.
  12. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Before the boxs some things were in became dust,if I'd had labels" Don't Know"-"Did not Know"-" Forgot"-"Can't tell"-"To much on top of this,but kind of remeber in there.",so man I got a lot of that "Just need to look".
    Up intell I helped my Son,build his hot rod,he thought I was a packrat,but then, I kept pulling out things he didn't have to go buy !!! Lot's of time's= He now knows why so much stuff is ,in,under an around.
    Need to follow the path around things.

Attached Files:

F-ONE likes this.
  13. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

We all have the same money holes that we spend money on:
    1. Tools and the experience to use them
    2. Car parts, need to have (brake lines, lights, fuel line and tank ect.)
    3. Car parts, nice to have (tri-power carb set-ups, headers, custom wheels)
    4. Paid labor - taking to car to a shop to have the top chop, rather than doing it yourself.
    So if you want to save money and get something done, stick with buying the required tools, gaining experience, and doing your own work. Stay away from buying car parts that you don't need at that point in time. Stay away from vehicles that are out of your skill level. If you don't enjoy working on cars, just buy a completed one and enjoy it.

1959Nomad and F-ONE like this.
  14. topher5150

topher5150

Unfortunately I fall into this because I have to buy parts when I can get a good deal on them not when I need them. I was able to get a large workbench with shelving in the shed got some sammich baggies and a sharpie and started reorganizing everything. I still have a handful of parts that I really have no idea what they are for

F-ONE and TrailerTrashToo like this.
  15. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I like to have spare parts for every vehicle I own,I do not like them being down for very long. I am going to the local old junkyard this weekend and get some spare parts and some others I might use in the future,in 10 years when I need that part it could be gone or that junkyard closed so if I have the money I will get everything I think I might use now while the getting is good.

F-ONE likes this.