Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage avoid I70 if going to Bonneville

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 911 steve, Aug 4, 2021.

1. 911 steve

911 steve
    from nebraska

I70 is closed in Glenwood Canyon western Colorado due to mudslides. DOT says it will take at least 2 weeks to remove debris. some places the mud is 10ft deep. then the roadway will have to be evaluated for damage. the detour routes you north on 2-lane highways & add 4 hours to the trip.

fiftyv8 and Hamtown Al like this.
  2. If I remember, there's not much else going that way that isn't going to add 4 hours to the trip anyways, but good to know....thanks. Beats sitting in one place for 4 hours like I did on my roadtrip to Florida when a loaded cement truck rolled, killing the driver and covering all 3 lanes. I was only a mile or so behind him, had nowhere to go.

fiftyv8 likes this.
  3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I saw that on the news this week and while I know it is one of the major east - west routes for folks going out of Denver I didn't think about guys going to Bonneville that way.
    Going from the Eastern and Central US states there are a lot of potential routes that look great on a map and may have great scenery but are real time eaters when you are trying to make fast miles to get there. I found that out while driving from McGregor Tx to Bonneville in 1988. I got there when I wanted to on Saturday Morning but think I drove 30 hours straight to do it. My dad was with me but wouldn't drive because the speedometer wasn't working.

Looking at the Denver to Wendover options going by 70 takes an hour and a half longer if you aren't towing anything and don't stop except for gas and food. A lot less boring route if it is open though. I've driven from Ogden to Cheyanne several times and there are few drives that are more boring and some rigs with small gas tanks may have to watch their gas stops pretty close. The speed limit is 80 though. Denver to wendover .jpeg

Last edited: Aug 4, 2021
    fiftyv8 and Hamtown Al like this.