Register now to get rid of these ads!

Aviation Gas

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Russ Gaylord Fontana, Sep 23, 2008.

1. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Back in the mid-late '80s my daily driver was a 1970 T-Bird with the 10.5 to 1 429. I used to fill up at the Portsmouth-Chesapeake airport in Virginia at $2.05 a gallon. The label on the pump said 110 straight octane and that 429 LOVED it! Idled nice & smooth and would roast the tires through first & halfway through second. Top end was way over the 120 mph on the speedometer.

2. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

At least in California the reason you are not allowed to run Av Gas in your street driven car is the tax on gas that is supposed to go for highway maintenance. Airplanes don't have to pay that 35 cents per gallon since they don't drive on streets much. The kicker is that the Calif. legislature has grabbed that money for the last 20 years or so and used it for ESL classes and other non highway things. So we get to pay other special road taxes. Then they make carpool lanes. Then they make the carpool lanes "High Occupancy Vehicle" lanes. Then they make them Toll lanes so we get to pay a third time for the same road. But save that Av gas. We need the tax.

3. The hot topic on Avweb a couple weeks back was the 'phase out' of 100LL. It appears it won't be available much longer, and that they aren't real clear on it's replacement.
    I loves me the smell of avgas though... nothing like being on the tarmac next to anything with a radial when it fires up! :)

JK

4. studhud

studhud

Rich
    I used to race two stroke jet skis and later helped tune for some AMA/AFM motorcycle guys that raced 125 and 250 gp bikes any ways did alot dyno work and fuel analisis I ran av gas 110LL it droped the flame temp on the EGT somethin like 30+ degrees trick raised the temp higher than the AV gas. ERC dropped the temp over 80 degrees in a two stroke we were able to go to smaller gets it was like free horsepower. As lean as possible in a two stroke without detonation and melting pistons is horsepower.
    Me likey the ERC
    Dave Hitch

5. buford36

buford36
    from Maine

Sounds like you were familiar with the AGE Shop ;). 115/145 for the MD3 power units and Mo gas for the Hi and Lo pacs. Refilled a few lighters dipping them into the MD3 tanks on a piece of safety wire. Oh yeah, the formula was 5 gallons of 115/145 to 10 gallons of Mogas gave you 15 gallons of Hitest:). Tom...

6. like it was stated above av gas is lighter you have to jet bigger. before we could get racing gas we use to mix 115/145 and methanol and acetone as they only checked the specific gravity (weight) it had to weight the same as pump gas and acetone added weight. then we went circle track racing ran 80% methanol and 20% gas and a little acetone to stop it from separating All was find until one day when the temp was in the high 90's and we ran straight alky and we were the only ones not running hot the tech inspector came to see why I told him and he was up-set and said we were only allowed to run gas I showed him to rules and under fuel there was nothing listed he said that for the next race at another track that night that we had to run gas that there would be an amendment to the rules in our first year in late models we finished 2nd in points and didn't make friends with promoters and tech inspectors,we studied the rule book and did what ever it took to be legal and win.

7. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

I run it in my 66' Olds and my Flathead. If I run Mower fuel (pump gas) it sounds like I'm dragging a log chain. AV Gas? No log chain, Starts better, better milage, bla bla bla.. It's not for everyone. The old stuff with high comp. loves it. Plus it smells cool.