Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Aviation Form A Gasket

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Truckdoctor Andy, Dec 29, 2018.

1. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

"Permatex #2..... Some of the best shit ever put in a tube."

Confirms my long standing suspicions!

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  2. aaggie

aaggie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I admit to being both old and a non-repentant Hot Rodder and growing up poor I learned the value of Permatex and reusing gaskets when they came off in one piece. Also have you ever smelled something that caused all sorts of memories to fill your head? There is nothing like the smell of hot Permatex on an exhaust manifold when a new engine is first fired up.

Truckdoctor Andy and porknbeaner like this.
  3. I use silicone sealant most of the time. The year an engine was manufactured does not dictate what you use for sealing it up.

That said I use Indian head a lot too or permatex aviation form a gasket when I do not have gasket shellac. Usually on around the water ports on my intake gaskets.

4. General Motors uses GMSC, General Motors Sealing Compound on all there gaskets. It looks like baby poop, smells like it, but stays flexible and cleans up with solvent.

5. F.Y.I., aviation sealer cleans up really well with a little denatured alcohol on a rag and will not harm the engine paint.

6. Ralph Moore

Ralph Moore

Goes great with flatheads! Wouldn’t put a stud in without it. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app