Register now to get rid of these ads!

average rim width people using in chevy cars?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Draginit1290, Aug 11, 2008.

1. Draginit1290

Draginit1290
    from Mesa, AZ

im just curious what the average rim width size people are running in the 49-54 belairs particularly..

ive seen some realy nice stances with many different wheels and tires combo but in 20 minutes of searching not a single thread mentions how wide there rim is with backspacing, etc... just tires sizes n such. thats the easy part..

-im about to buy wheels and thinking 15 x 7" all around but then measure in the fenderwells and cant visualize it,, is that too small? too big? i had 15x5" but wont work anymore due to disc conversions.
    thoughts? pics? do you know what someone is using?? thanks!

Last edited: Aug 11, 2008
  2. Tony

Tony

I'm running 15x6 on my 53 with a 2" reverse all around..
    I think the width look's good and the reverse give's it a bit of depth...
    BUT, with the car being lowered when i turn all the way the tire's will rub the fender lip a little..or a lot if i'm going into a driveway with a steep incline..........wouldn't do that if they were stock backspacing.
    And your's is MUCH lower than mine.. :)

3. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I am with Tony, I ran 6" on my 53 wagon and would go back to the same size again..

maybe a 5" front and 7 rear if you are going big and littles

4. atomickustom

atomickustom

I have 15x6 on the front of my car, and 15x7 on the rear. I like the 6-inch better - it just looks more "right." Plus they are super easy to find at any junkyard in the universe because a lot of Monte Carlos came with them in the '70s and most Impala/Caprices came with them in the '80s.

5. Draginit1290

Draginit1290
    from Mesa, AZ

well i was hopin to get a few more responses but it appears that the big/little is common practice. however i went ahead and ordered 15 x 7 all around with 4" backspace. i double checked measurements and cant see an issue. since i had previously cut all fenders to fit a 22 x 8" wheel/tire anyway and changed my mind to go whitewalls later in the build... they should be here end of this week, ill post the result for anyone else searching this sort of thing...

6. Terry

Terry

You didn't mention how wide your rear end is. I'm running 15X7s all the way around, but with 4.50 backspacing. I have maybe a 1/4 inch clearance on the outside fender, with a 60 inch (from wheel mounting surface to surface) rear end.

I'm kinda going through what your going through, only a different direction. I think mine look to skinny and want a much wider tire/wheel in the rear. But finding anything fat to go under that fender is tough. I looked at RADIRs 15X8 cause they have a 5 inch backspace, but that still adds 1/2 inch more out than I have now. I did notice that American racing Slat Flats have a 6.125 backspaced wheel, but I hate to but them since they sold out to China.

I may have to wind up doing some surgury to the brace on the fender, but I hate to.

7. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

8. Bazooka

Bazooka

I always run sixers...

9. slammed49

slammed49

I am running the stockers..I belive 15x5 or 15x5-1/2...hard to get the rear ones off at 5" lower,have to let the air out of the tire...no chance of rubbing anywhere though..

10. Draginit1290

Draginit1290
    from Mesa, AZ

haha, ya i know all about that!! i knew i couldnt be the only one. lol its gonna be worse now i went bigger. but i had no choice, gotta clear the rear calipers now...

btw, my 15 x 5" rims are for sale in the classifieds if anyones interested... there stock og's as far as i know.