Register now to get rid of these ads!

AV8s: Using an F1 crossmember with a t5 trans?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Just Jones, Jan 9, 2010.

1. Just Jones

Just Jones

Hey guys -

I've done some searching on this, but haven't really found any concrete info. Anyone out there done this? What mods did you have to do? Recommendations? Pictures?

My build: '29 Rpu with an 8BA to an S10 5 speed, then an open drive '46 banjo rear, all with a model a frame. Using stock model A front cross member and '40 ford rear.

Thanks in advance for any info you can share - Speedy

2. nifty

nifty
    from UK

Myself and Pete (good mate and extremely talented fabricator, lucky ain't I!) are in the process of doing something similar. '30/'31 Model A chassis that used to run a '39 3 speed toploader. Gearbox was shot so I decided I wanted to go 5 speed on the back of my Flathead. Ok so its not a T5 but a Toyota box. The F1 crossmember had to be cut out and Pete made up a new K member with gearbox mount.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not quite finished yet,some welding to complete and more fab to do on the gearbox mount, still have the prop to make up (the stainless tube is for mock up purposes). The rear wishbones are mounted to a ball joint.

3. Just Jones

Just Jones

Wow! Great fabrication, and great pictures! Impressive.

4. oldskool30

oldskool30

I did something like this utilizing the stock crossmember its behind a modified banger but should work if your using an "A" crossmember. It has a removable center to make removal a breeze

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

this was a 4 speed out of an 80's bronco II used a panhard bar mounted to this crossmember and the rear to keep alignment

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the other nice thing with the ford 4 speed was very little modification to the crossmember itself as shifter is about 3 inches back from original location

[​IMG]

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

Go over to the FTE, Ford Truck Enthusiasts' site,http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/ There a lot of people over there that are either in your situation or have done it.

If you're not a member you won't be able to use their search feature until you have at least 25 post but you can search the site with Google and find what you're looking for, just type in "T-5" and "crossmember" and you should get a bunch of links. If you're sure on how to use the Google features click on this link:

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/845102-forum-search-alternative.html#post7429325

6. Just Jones

Just Jones

I like what you guys came up with - I think what I am seeing is that T5s and F1 crossmembers really don't work too well together. Did some research, and found this F1 crossmember mod at http://www.secondchancegarage.com/public/160.cfm

After seeing the thread, I'd rather do what you guys did and just make my own xmember

Thanks big time for all the info and great pics you posted. Here are a couple from the thread I mentioned above:

Attached Files: