Register now to get rid of these ads!

AV8 torque tube question...??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rob Paul, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Rob Paul

Rob Paul

Ok. AV8 roadster. 39 banjo rear with cut down torque tube and shaft.

Where the driveshaft pins to the pinion I used a 1/4" bolt and welded the nut to it. Well it snapped it. Not sure why. I would have used the pin and peened it over, but the one I got from Macs is not long enough. Its a 1.7" pin, and in needs to be more like 2".

I know I shouldnt use a bolt, but it really should work if set up correctly.

I think mabe the shaft is bottoming out in the ujoint bolt driving the shaft backwards and shearing the bolt.

Why?? Im not sure. The shaft is the correct length in the torque tube I think. I can get the bearing, speedo gear and snapring installed.

Any advice?

What else can I use other than trying to find the correct pin and waiting for it to come in the mail.

Rob

2. Ole don

Ole don

Wait for the correct part. Install it correctly.

3. Search is your buddy,,,,, does the drive shaft stick out from the tube ? if so how much?

4. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

Somebody out there (Maybe in Fordbarn land) knows how far the driveshaft should stick out beyond the edge of the torque tube bell. Too far and it does, indeed, hit the head of the U-joint bolt. In My case, where we cobbled up a combination of parts to fit a '32, the shaft was in contact with the bolt and induced a thrust on the transmission output shaft. Over time it essentially destroyed the transmission.

5. barry wny

barry wny

I tried a roll pin &broke it, coupler fit too easy on the pinion.I had a piece of about 5/16 rod, not hard, belt sanded until it almost fit, drove it through peened both ends. Coupler is softer so if it fits loose at all, get another coupler, I was going to get one from mac's but found an oldie that slid on hard. Shouldn't bottom out if the shaft is right, I recall I made mine after checking a unmolested assembly, believe it was or 3/8" longer than the bell. Still got one I could check

6. Rob Paul

Rob Paul

With the torque tube and shaft put together the end of the shaft is inset about 1/4" from the edge of the bell.

7. barry wny

barry wny

That 1/4" should be OK, If you have a snug fit on the splines try making a tight pin.

8. jetmek

jetmek

i tried a bolt once also...it doesnt work the harder the bolt the faster it breaks you need a soft rivit thru there to comform to slop and misalignment of the 2 parts

9. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

The end of the shaft should be 1/8th inch short of the end of the bell. I use a roll pin in mine with safety wire.