Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical AV8 Tie Rod Length

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by KentF, Sep 20, 2018.

1. KentF

KentF

Hey guys,
    I'm building up an AV8 roadster with what I believe are 39-48 juice brakes.

I'm ordering parts from afar (different country) so that I can continue to work on it when I am back home, and trying to order a new tie rod from SoCal. The measurements I took when I was home said that it was 1220mm (48") from hole to hole, but the longest that SoCal has listed is 45 1/2".

Can someone help out and let me know if my measurements are way out, or is there a model that had a longer tie rod and I am correct.

I've attached a couple of the best photos I have of the setup, and will start a build thread at some point! Sorry for the average photos!

Thanks in advance for the help.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Tierod from spindle to spindle? If so....Did you include the length with the tie rod ends screwed on ?? ;)

3. KentF

KentF

Hey kadillackid,
    That was spindle to spindle, with the actual tie rod length of about 1100mm.
    Hmm, I just assumed that SOCAL measurement "C to C" (what does that actually mean?) was the total with the tie rod ends screwed in. If not then you have likely just answered my question thanks!

4. Means center to center to me.

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Tie rod with ends is going to be somewhat shorter than the center of king pin to center of king pin measurement. What steering arms you use are going to affect it too. Snagged this example from the SoCal page. TieRodDraglink.jpg

6. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Those SoCal dimensions, c to c (actually don't know how to do the centreline thing on the keyboard) are clearly installed length of the tie rod, and somewhat less than kingpin to kingpin. What say you Mr Ackerman?

Chris

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is what he is looking for, installed length. My question was asking if he was measuring king pin to king pin or steering arm hole to steering arm hole to steering arm hole. In theory the Ackerman (it seems that is the first thing bullshit artists bring up) should stay the same if the steering arms are actually designed correctly to work with the Ford spindles and the wheelbase of the car. That may change a frog hair or two depending on the axle width but shouldn't be noticeable unless things are way to hell and gone off. Unless he decides to road race the car one would never know the difference. You don't see guys buying different steering arms to go on a Model A chassis with a 103.5 wheelbase than the guys running a 32 chassis with a 106 inch wheelbase.

KentF I think I would email or call SoCal, tell them what I have and go from there.
    The other option might be to order the long plain steel one and if it is too long, trim the end with the right hand threads and retap it further into the tube.

Happydaze likes this.
  8. 3340

I would remeasure after engine is installed, because it may not clear the oil pan meaning a modified rod

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.