Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Av8 suspension (you've got to see this)

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Apsencik, Jun 20, 2016.

1. dentisaurus

dentisaurus
    from Boston

The way Joe explained it to me was if I had original Ford spindles he would like to have them when he bent the axle as Ford's production method for the spindle could introduce a degree or two of variation from spindle to spindle. If I was using after market spindles he wasn't so worried as he had found less variation in those.

2. Maybe he has come across stuff I haven't; but a degree or two is a HUGE manufacturing tolerance. I mean stuff wasn't CNC'd, laser inspected, etc back then; but it was precision machined.

Think of the repercussions on the assembly line if machine work to that standard was acceptable.

Only weirdly machined spindle I ever came across came from a place with the initials; Speedway Motors (they took care of it; good service as usual).

3. dentisaurus

dentisaurus
    from Boston

I'm just going on what Joe told me but I could imagine you might see variations if spindles were made n different locations? If you were using spindles that were not a pair you might have some difference between the two? Or possibly I just completely misunderstood what he told me. Wouldn't be the first time. Either way, Joe has always delivered a good product to me that did exactly what I needed it to do.
    Sorry for dragging the thread somewhat off the topic at hand.