Register now to get rid of these ads!

Av8 rear end options/opinions needed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by devotion, Dec 12, 2012.

1. devotion

devotion
    from idaho

Collecting parts for av8 build. I currently have a few options... Motor is a 38,transmission is a 38 also. For rear ends I have a couple options that I have narrowed it down to. I have the stock Model a rear with torque tube and everything else. The 48 has no torque tube. The motor is stock 85hp. Model a rear could be fitted with the 48 brakes... If I went this route, drive shaft/torque tube can be left stock length? With the 48 brakes are ready to go, rear end is stronger, but it is 4 inches wider. Thoughts?

2. chopt top kid

chopt top kid

Unless you plan to run the stock four banger, you prolly should consider a '35-'48 rear banjo. The '35 and later rear axles all had a third support bearing on the pinion and are significantly stronger...

3. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

I have a Model A rear with '40 or '41 brakes, I can not remember which, on my '28 tudor. I have a 59AB and '39 transmission. The motor has a few go fast accessories. Have driven it for several years and have had no problem. I do keep it in mind when driving and don't abuse it too much. I have fenders and would not want the rear end to be any wider than what I have now.

Neal