Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods AV8 Radiator

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cobbie61, Jul 18, 2018.

1. cobbie61

cobbie61
    from oregon

I am ready for a radiator for my AV8 it is a 1929 Open cab pickup, I will be using a 1932 grill shell so the radiator needs to be 2 or 3" shorter, I am using a 8BA flathead engine. I am wanting to know someone that has used an aluminum and had good luck with the fit and function. I just hate spending $850 or $900 but, If i must swallow hard and buy a brass from Walker or another Mfg. I will. Looking forward to replies as I am sure there have been a lot that have gone through the same thing. Thanks in advance.

Cobbie61

2. oldsman41

oldsman41

If you have a good radiator shop close you might want to have them build you a rad. My 51 merc has a thick radiator i mean like 5 rows deep runs nice until the outside temp gets to 100 and I’m in town. She still runs at about 200 then but I’m not a fan of that high temps in a flatly

3. If you plan on keeping the roadster pickup bite the bullet and buy a copper/brass radiator,they are pricey but they last,the one in my avatar is a 30 year old Walker. HRP

ABONES likes this.
  4. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Also look into a BrassWorks radiator. They are in Central CA so closer to you than Walker and IMO an outstanding product. Probably about the same price as a Walker. I have a BrassWorks in my '39 p/u and I'm very satisfied with it as well as the assistance that Lee at BrassWorks provided to make sure that a 4 row would fit with the later model 8ba engine. Very knowledgeable and a heck of a nice guy as well.

5. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

4CF8B387-A389-40B6-9592-4DA05283831F.jpeg When I needed a radiator and wondered about the same issues, a call to Walker convinced me that was the way to go. Felt like I received their attention and expertise in a friendly manner.

6. 55styleliner

55styleliner

I have a 286" 8BA in my '28 with ZERO overheating issues!!! I have a Walker brass radiator and cannot recommend them highly enough. Worth every penny!!

7. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I did a flathead powered 29 highboy for a customer and I wanted to make sure the hood top flowed right so I built a plywood radiator form so I could get the exact measurements I needed then sent them to Brass Works and they built it to my measurements with mounting for the deuce shell. The radiator fit perfect and gave the car the look I wanted. It was pricey but the radiator was no place to cut corners