Register now to get rid of these ads!

AV8 Project... Been Done countless times, but I'll ask anyways.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tank, Jan 6, 2010.

1. Tank

Tank

My current project is a 30' Model "A" Coupe on original rails. 59a engine, 39 Trans, 40 rear w/closed driveshaft. All the typical stuff. Been pretty smooth sailing so far. Trying to figure out my center crossmember/trans mount. I want to mount my pedal assemby off of this also, which leads me to my problem. I have an original 40 pedal assembly. The pedals are WAY too wide and tall to fit in the space I have. Is it worth my time to modify these to work, would they even work properly if I modified them? Or is there a better Ford assembly to use in this project? I have the Tardel Book, he uses 32 pedals I believe. I havent found any of those lately... What are you using in your AV8? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

2. I used F-1 pedals and cross member in mine.

3. walter

walter

I used a 32 Ford Cross member and sectioned it down to fit the A rails as well as using the 32 Pedal assembly and modified it like Tardel says. Fits perfect EXCEPT you must locate the crossmember in the same position as Tardel does or the pedals will not be in the corect position in reguards to the body. In this location it makes the engine fan to radiator very tight.

4. the-rodster

the-rodster

Ditto.

Rich

5. kirby1374

kirby1374

6. Tank

Tank

I positioned my engine and trans in the location Tardel says. Didn't have to cut the firewall that way. I don't have the fan situation dialed in yet, but youre right. It's a VERY tight fit. But a fit none the less. Guess Im too cheap to buy a real K-member to cut up. So I made my own. Not exactly like Tardels, but it works.

7. barry wny

barry wny

I had '49 F1 pedals & master cyl., used the '37 clutch linkage, had to make a mount for the pivot ball & pedals. I used a '46 car X member. The pedals will have to be "coaxed" into a comfortable foot location with torches & such.

Attached Files:

8. walter

walter

I am going to move my radiator ahead about one inch just to have enough room to run all stock ford parts. I wil be making a full hood for the car anway.

9. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

The pre-40 clutch linkage does not use the pivot ball and cross shaft. That setup is 40-48 car and 40-47 and later pickup.

32-39 clutch linkage uses a lever mounted to the clutch release shaft through the bellhousing.

10. Elrod

Elrod

Using 39 pedals with 40 Ford X-member. going to have to heat the clutch pedal and bring it in a little though to make it work.

11. NoSurf

NoSurf

I used pedals from a '47 ford car. Heated and bent to fit. Crossmember fabbed out of 2x4 tube ala Pierson Bros coupe (until I switched to OD).

12. Fabbed mine out of 2x2x3/16. It mounts the trans, the pedals (unknown origin) and the anti-chatter rods.

13. flatford39

flatford39

Ford F-1 cross member & pedals in A frame. Pretty easy to do and the pedals are a bolt in to the F-1 crossmember.

14. Tank

Tank

Cool, thanks guys. This gives me some direction, and a few things to think about. Sure I'll be asking a few more questions as this project progresses. So be prepared... Chris's thread is awesome! Not sure how I missed that one.

15. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Lucky you! Most guys who think they have 39 pedal setups with the hollow shaft and lever clutch arm inside have the 40 or later setup with the solid shaft and ball pivot setup!

16. barry wny

barry wny

That's right, I forgot when I stripped the '37 case to put in the gears out of the '46 side shift trans, I also changed the clutch fork shaft to use the later linkage. And I had a '49 pickup top (where the pedals came from)so the forks would work.