Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical AV8 Hood Question

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by FlatJan, Oct 11, 2014.

1. FlatJan

FlatJan

Hi
    haven´t found anything specific so here´s my question:
    i´d like to know what kind of hood should i use as a basis to modify for a 28 A-framed av8 roadster with 32 grillshell.
    i think enlarging a 28 hood is a lot of work to make it turn out nicely.
    is a 30/31 or a 32 hood better if i want to modify it to run a full hood on my project?

thanx Jan

2. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Anything 32 is going to be $$$$ and I don't know how long they are. My 31 is 31 1/4" from firewall to grille shell. I have a 28-29 hood laying here that I just measured and it's 28 1/2" so it would need to be lengthened about 2 3/4". My buddy has a 29 roadster on a Duece frame and he had to lengthen his hood 3". It's about the only option.

3. trucker1

trucker1

If you mount the shell in the shell in the model A location the hood will fit with just a little difference in the curvature you can hammer out. Check my album, it's a 32 shell on a 29. Glynn.

4. trucker1

trucker1

Oh forgot another thing your new 32 style radiator will need to be built shorter to match the height of your model A radiator, You will then need to trim the bottom ends of the side aprons the same amount of difference. I think mine was 2 inches but double check yours. Glynn.

5. My experience with different grille swaps on my model a is that when you get the radiator/ grille to the right height the hood just goes right into where it needs to be. Then you just hold it down with the latches

6. FlatJan

FlatJan

@Mike: Ok this means i can keep my original hood and you think it will fit?