Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects AV8 First Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ben Chirco, Sep 2, 2021.

1. Ben Chirco

Ben Chirco

J Ripper, thanks for the tip on moving the body back a bit to miss the fuel pump. I will look into how much.

I’m getting ready to set the engine and it’s final resting place. I am confident in the positions of the engine, mechanical fan, transmission, and radiator. I ordered a set of engine mounts and began looking at the placement of them. This engine came out of a car and does not have the water pumps with the holes to mount the engine. These pumps are bolted in with two bolts per side. I’ve decided against the truck water pumps because then I would need to change the crankcase pulley, the water pumps and the fan set up. I figured out a way to make everything work as it sits. I’m using the car water pumps and I need to make an adapter to tie the engine into these brackets that I bought.

As you can see in the pictures, I can’t get the brackets with the rubber bushings set up directly underneath where the motor mount is on the car, if i face them UP. In this picture I made an aluminum model of the mount as a mock up. I have cut about three eighths of an inch off the bottom of the factory bought Mount and I still am very very tight. So tight that it wont work.
    mount option 1.jpg

If I flip the bracket over, with the bottom as UP, as shown in this picture, Then I have plenty of room for the bracket to tie into the motor. If it’s properly welded, what’s the negative of me flipping these brackets?
    mount best .jpg
    All the welding will be done by a professional welder, if I don’t feel comfortable with my welding. I have access to a plasma cutter. All the pieces that I make to tie in these new mounts to the existing water pumps would be cut from the plasma cutter

What are your thoughts? I'm sure I’m going to get a bunch of different answers.

2. adam401

adam401

Yeah if thats what works weld em in.