Register now to get rid of these ads!

Av8 drive shaft torque tube

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by devotion, Dec 9, 2012.

1. devotion

devotion
    from idaho

Gathering parts for the 1930 sport coupe. I have a 48 banjo rear, 1938 flathead motor, and a 1938 transmission. The question is torque tube/drive shaft options. I have read on the hamb somewhere that the model a torque tube should fit fine on the 38 transmission, but is different where it would bolt up to the 48 BANJO.. Or did I read that wrong? If I pick up a torque tube/shaft from any v8 should it fit both the 38 trans and the 48 rear? I wouldn't mind doing the open drive conversion on the rear, but where does that leave me with the tranny end of things?

2. the bearing end race on the '48 rear is a larger diameter than the earlier ones,so you'll run into an interference with the older torque tube/flange and the pinion flange on the '48.Does that make any sense??

3. devotion

devotion
    from idaho

So looks like I have to track down a v8 tube/shaft... Are there any differences between the 38-48?

4. the common torque tube setup is from a '33-'34 ford passenger car,due to the fact that the driveshaft is the same diameter and not tapered like in the later ones so it's easier to shorten,also theres no center bearing support like the later ones.Even with the '33-'34 driveshaft/torque tube setup you'll have to clearance the pinion flange area on the torque tube flange about 1/16-1/8" for pinion bearing race clearance.

5. the trans mount bell flange is the same from '38-'48 the real difference being the pinion flange diameters due to larger bearings used in the '46-'48 rears.You can get a '38-'42 torque tube,knock out the center bearing support,shorten it to fit your car,get a 3/16" wall tubing from your steel supply house,cut the u-joint spline area of of your solid shaft,weld it to your new hollow driveshaft,buy a spline adapter at Snyder's,Mac's and weld it to the other end an your done...You'll still have to clearance the pinion flange diameter to work with your '48 rear though

6. devotion

devotion
    from idaho

Just out of curiosity... Is there an open drive shaft conversion for the transmission end of things?

7. F1 any toploader 3 speed,1/2 ton were open drive '46-'52

8. devotion

devotion
    from idaho

I was hoping you would say 49 car because I have one laying around!

9. coachrandy

coachrandy

I have a newly rebuilt open driveshaft trans, I need enclosed.