Register now to get rid of these ads!

AV8 build rear fenders to close to tires. advice needed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BillyBobsSpeedShop, Mar 9, 2013.

1. BillyBobsSpeedShop

BillyBobsSpeedShop

So I finally got my tires and wheels on my car and noticed that my rear fenders could possibly rub my tire if I was to hit a curve and or a bump at normal speeds. I deffiently dont want to damage my fender so I was thinking of making or buying a spacer for the spring to raise the car. I am running a model a coupe rear spring with a spring behind setup on a 40 banjo rear. I have zd the rear of the frame 2 inches. I was thinking of making a 3/4-1inch spacer.to go on top of the.spring to raise the car to have better clearance with the tire and fender. I still have to put my my interior, seat, doors and myself in the car and i am 6'4 265lb so I figured the car will settle where.i want it with the spacer.

Has anyone done this before? Or how should I raise the rear up? Also does some one make aspacer like this?

Thanks

[​IMG]

2. I made a spacer like that by taking a few leaves off a spare spring (the top ones) and shortening them with a cut-off wheel so that they're a bit longer than the u-bolts spacing. I dismantled my spring and attached them with the through bolt so they became part of the spring. I did it twice just trying to nail the exact stance and guard clearance I wanted. Hope this makes sense.

3. a sedan spring has 10 leafs
    just swap that out
    tk

4. BillyBobsSpeedShop

BillyBobsSpeedShop

I was thinking a sedan spring would be the thicker but I.dont have one. Does making the spacer sound like a bad idea?

5. TERPU

TERPU

The spacer will be fine.

Tim

6. BillyBobsSpeedShop

BillyBobsSpeedShop

7. BillyBobsSpeedShop

BillyBobsSpeedShop

I keep bottoming out. I purchased a new spring and have a set of shocks on the rear but spring has Settled and tires rub when taking turns and seems that drive shaft is bottoming out when going over bumps at speeds. I'm thinking of adding leafs to the this new spring and maybe a shock with a helper spring or something. Any ideas would be great not sure where to get shock with helper springs on them?

8. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just do the spacer...Sheesh!

Or...Un-zee the frame one of those two inches.

Or...Remove and dismantle the spring, take the 4 main leaves to the press, and arch them up 1/4" every 2".

Go to Pick & Pull, remove an Anti roll bar and its brackets from a Ford F-150.
    Install it on the rear...no more rubbing tires on fenders in a turn, 'cuz no more body roll.
    Oh...and add a 3/4" thick short-leaf spacer, as suggested above.
    You COULD get some more leaves and add them, trimming the lengths to fit between existing leaves...