Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Auxiliary engine to power supercharger - Chrysler powered dragster?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dave Downs, Mar 19, 2015.

1. Dave Downs

Dave Downs
    from S.E. Penna

Just found this picture on the 'Days gone by' picture thread.

Looks like a 2 cylinder engine mounted cross-wise to power a GMC blower. I don't see any fuel-delivery system (carbs or injectors) and the intake of the blower (facing forward) seems to have a screen over it. I also see a belt dive of some sort on the left side that looks like it could be turning an injection pump.

Anybody know anything about this set-up?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
    turboroadster likes this.
  2. Boy I would like to know more about that set up !

3. panheadguy

panheadguy
    from S.E. WI

That auxiliary engine looks like a "Coldwell engine" . They were used to power some of the first self propelled lawn mowers. The ignition is magneto and fires like a Harley ie. both cylinders at the same time but not on the same cycle, is water cooled and develops 5-6 hp.
    Very interesting setup but I doubt it would work very well since the boost would not be regulated with the main engine speed.

4. I wouldn't think 5-6 HP could possibly be enough to develop the required boost. The idea I see is to eliminate the parasitic loss of actually driving the blower and netting the entire gain of the boost instead of only a percentage.

5. R Pope

R Pope

In WWII there were experiments with bombers where an engine in the fuselage drove a big blower that fed the other four engines. Probably where these guys got the idea. I wouldn't think 6 hp gain would be worth the extra weight and complexity on the digger, though.