Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Automotive Inspired Indoor Light Fixtures

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrodladycrusr, Jan 7, 2011.

1. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

As some know I've been remodeling my kitchen, almost done in fact. I'm working on some ideas for custom automotive inspired lighting for over the Craftsman toolbox island and the car hood dining table.

I saw the following pieces at the Barret Jackson auction last year but of course they were out of my price range. I'm looking for ideas for lighting besides these. Anyone have photos to share whether it be automotive inspired lighting in your home, shop, office or photos you've captured on the internet, I'd just like to see some other ideas.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. retro54

retro54
    from PA

Picture number 5 looks very do-able for someone with a little bit of mechanized know-how...

Hard to beat simple... porcelain shades... photo below seen on Barn-light electric's site.

[​IMG]

3. schwerko

schwerko
    from bristol ct

4. How about some pictures of your kitchen now? I caught your hand rail. I would love to see more

5. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Patience grasshopper, let me get a couple more things buttoned up and I'll post a thread.;)

6. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Very cool area of a very cool garage. I saw them redo that hot rod mag garage on one of the HGTV programs. I was really impressed, lots of neat ideas. I'd love to do something like that whole picture in my basement.

As far as the porcelain shades, they are a dime a dozen. I've got one thats sconce style on the front of my house over my porch. My kitchen deserves a couple of unique light fixtures to balance the room. :cool:

7. Thinking off the top of my head....what about 6 or 8 spot lights with the arms still on them attached to a center pole of some sort (a wishbone, set of 4 links, etc.)?

8. I've often thought about using tail light bezels for light sconces. Then take the original lenses and make a mold, then vacuum-form new ones using clear Lexan. There are tons of cool bezels out there, just choose one that you like and go from there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. T Fritz

T Fritz

Tourque tube floor lamp
    Banjo housing table and table lamp
    Stainless conveyer belt driv cog desk lamp

Some of the auto related interior decorations I have constructed.

Fritz

Attached Files:

10. Gman0046

Gman0046

Whats next? An inner tube vest?

11. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

Not nearly as elaborate, but I picked these up at Spencer's in the mall on closeout. $3.50 each for the singles. $7 each for the duals hanging over the tables.

Attached Files:

12. Denise, no photos, just an idea in my head. How about several individual drop fixtures of 1932 Ford (what else??) headlights pointing down towards the countertop. The drop tube could be readily available chromed ceiling fan extension tube mounted through the back of the headlight. Or you could use chrome flexible headlight conduit if you could find it in longer lengths. Original Ford headlights (or other years and makes) shells aren't too hard to come by and the the stainless will polish nicely but the orginal mounting stud would have to be removed and covered up. Use the original retainer and lense with flourescent (circular or compact type mounted sideways) for nice bright light. Other styles of lights could be Guides (w/o turn signals) or others with that bullet style. Bulb placement would be easier in those, too. Just a thought! And IMHO the Barrett-Jackson stuff looks to gaudy and pretentious anyway!

A quick check of the classifieds showed 3 '32 shells for a $100 http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=546864&highlight=headlights
    and a set of '62 Imperial headlights
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=442434&highlight=headlights
    and some Guide/BLC headlights
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=537699&highlight=headlights

Last edited: Jan 7, 2011
  13. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Some 20s/30s style headlight buckets hanging down would look cool.
    Heres a couple more thoughts,just use your imagination I guess.
    I tried:rolleyes:

Attached Files:

14. Trencher

Trencher

yeah, and like the air cleaner trio of lights originally pic'd...you could hang three headlights from a chromed, drilled, dropped axle...

I'm still in the middle of a "normal" kitchen that has cost me nearly $30,000 and I've done all the labor! my wife has also put her foot down about car stuff in the house...so no cool living space for me :(

15. that fixture with the chromed leafsprings would have to be a heavy......... youd have to tie that into a 10x10 or something

i cant wait to see the final pics of your kitchen

16. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

17. rooman

rooman

Denise,
    this one is a table lamp and a bit heavy at 70 plus pounds (ex John Force crankshaft).

Roo

[​IMG]

ps Do you need a paper towel holder? I am doing another batch of these which use 'big show" fuel car rods.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
  18. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky