Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical automatic transmission or 3 speed manual?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lloyd's paint & glass, Nov 21, 2020.

?
  1. Manual

2. Automatic

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. I've read on a couple of the recent threads about the Saginaw and Muncie 3 speed manual. Everybody tends to agree that a true hot rod is supposed to have 3 pedals right? I mean, that's preached around here ain't it? The issue is, when you do see a 4 speed manual transmission pop up on the list for sale, it's not cheap, rather it's damn expensive! And not all of us around here are retired engineers with a bank roll that would choke a mule :D so with the exception of the guys in the crowd that have health issues that affect their clutch leg, if you had your choice of putting in the 350th, or a 3 speed manual with a floor shift, what would you do?

2. Three speed manual all day long. I’ve had some pretty good automatics, but I enjoy shifting and I’d rather replace a clutch than rebuild an automatic. Shoot, I even love three on the trees.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

Yo big daddy....why not look into Saginaw 4 speeds? They are a cheaper alternative to Muncies or T10s....but I gotta say, being in Socal I'm pretty spoiled. I still run into $300-$400 Muncies at swaps here. It all depends on how much fun you have when you're driving. Is this for the panel you just bought?

4. 3 speed! Way more fun! I actually bought a 3-speed OD to convert my 56 to a standard. But, then I ended up with an old pu with a 3 speed to drive, so decided against converting a pretty original car... Pretty sure there is no fun difference between 3 or 4 speeds as long as you get to use a clutch and shift.

5. Man the cheapest 4 speed I've seen lately was $800. Average price is $1200. And you never see a Saginaw. I have 3, 3 speed transmissions. 2 are late 60's C10 pieces and one is from a 63 Chevy biscayne. I own them, have flywheels, shifters, etc... and I've been contemplating putting one in my 57 wagon, and using the automatic that's in there now for my wife's AD truck. But I feel like I'm pussing out if I do. I've come to the conclusion that I'm not spending the money on a transmission. So I wanted some of your opinions on what you would do in the same situation. Leave the 57 automatic, or go 3 speed manual on the floor?

6. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Three on the tree would keep 75% or more of people now from being able to drive it, just a clutch pedal would stop at least 50% or more!

That being said, unless I had everything for the manual, transmission, bell housing, flywheel, pressure plate, clutch, throw out bearing, pilot bearing, pedal and all the linkage and shifter and all the linkage, I'd have to go with the turbo 350. Lots of stuff to track down if it's missing.

I drive a manual all day, every day, and when I get into a personal vehicle, I'd just as soon let it shift for me. I love banging gears as much as anybody, have a OT Ranger with a 5 speed I drive sometimes, but hate it in town anymore. Not bad in light traffic, but a bitch redlight to redlight.

7. I only have one bellhousing, but I'll get another one and put a 3 speed in this El Camino I'm bringing home also!

loudbang likes this.
  8. I get your point. Fortunately I have everything I need, other than a new clutch kit. I'd feel the same if I didn't.

9. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

I'd make the wife's rig automatic and the 57 3 speed manual on the floor..

10. squirrel

squirrel

depends on the car....three on the tree is fun, but I've gone a lot faster with automatics

verno30, Tickety Boo, Baumi and 7 others like this.
  11. I'm glad you included this in your request. There are far too many people who equate automatics with lesser people - "If you're not shifting then you're nothing but {excrement}" - and similar less-than-intelligent comments. For anyone who even starts to think that someone who isn't driving a manual car is not a real man, then I'd like to introduce you to my friend the Army Ranger who lost his left foot to an IED in Iraq. Still is a hot rodder in spite of it!

And after two lower back surgeries, I'd like to chat with you myself...

12. I'm not putting it back on the tree. Even though it's one of the best theft deterrents lol. And I've never had a 3 speed floor shifter that worked "good" for busting second gear :rolleyes:

13. Hey I'm getting there myself brother. I get my knees aspirated and injected a couple of times a year. I have my days. I've beat the shit out of myself. Crawling on concrete for years. And if you think being a fireman is good for you, you're kidding yourself. 3 years and 9 months to go. But who's counting ;)

14. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

I'd go 3 speed over an automatic any day, but that's personal preference. Better yet if it has an overdrive!

Devin

15. goldmountain

goldmountain

Most of my cars have manny trannies but it has been over 40 years since I've had one with a 3 speed. I could go back to three on the tree, I suppose.

16. vickckik

vickckik

When I started playing with cars, 4 speeds were found in trucks. The guys my age bought floor shifters if they could. Three speed on the column never stopped any of us from racing. When I finally got a good Hurst shifter I never had any trouble bustin' second. As a matter of fact I almost completely quit blowing trannys.

17. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'll have to do some digging, but I "THINK" I have a clutch pedal for a 57. Let me know if you want it and I'll start huntin' for it. :D

18. Yeah see what ya have

loudbang likes this.
  19. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm too drunk to go crawlin' through the attic now, but I'll get on it first thing in the morning! LOL!!! :p

20. Yeah keep your drunk ass off the ladder man lol. I've got remnants of the clutch pedal that came out of my car, but it's not much.

21. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Right on Man! What are you gonna use for a bellhousing?

22. squirrel

squirrel

The most fun part of having a 4 speed is pulling that 1-2 shift. You just don't get that with a 3 speed, even with a floor shifter...unless you play with the shifter quite a bit, and reverse stuff.

Then, it could be fun

23. I've got a 10.5" bellhousing that came with the 283 I bought a few months back. I assume it's good, haven't inspected it

loudbang and 427 sleeper like this.
  24. primed34

primed34

All the cool kids have four speeds. I have a four speed in my '55 and a kitted 350 in my '34. I can't get excited about a three speed manual.

Sandgroper and ekimneirbo like this.
  25. gene-koning

gene-koning

My coupe has a "modern" 5 speed. They tend to be less costly then the performance era 4 speeds. The shift pattern on a 3 speed usually sucks, but if you start with the 3 speed, its pretty much a trans and shifter change if/when you stumble onto a 4 or 5 speed.

I drive my coupe a lot, there are days when I really just want to get in it, put it in drive and enjoy the ride. Heavy traffic with a stick just isn't fun. The "new" build will get an automatic. Between those days in traffic, or those days I just want to cruise and enjoy the ride, or those days my left knee isn't happy with me, or those days my wife would like to drive he coupe all add up to good reasons for an auto trans in the "new" ride. I'm well past the point of having to prove my manliness to anyone. Gene

26. bchctybob

bchctybob

I'd swap in the 3 spd and look for a good used Hurst Competition plus shifter. Stay away from the cheap shit shifters, especially if you like to "bust second" once in a while. Adjust it carefully, including the stops. Most of the old three speeds (non-synchro first) can't take a lot of abuse, the later ones (syncro first) are better for that but if you have to buy one then you might as well spring for a four speed. Sounds like you have some choices there.
    As to the 3 spd vs automatic, it depends entirely on what you do with the car. Shifting is fun and definitely gives that Hot Rod feel, but a good automatic that can bark the tires when it shifts is fun too.

Tickety Boo and loudbang like this.
  27. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

If I could pick up all the needed parts ( trans, bell housing, flywheel, etc) for a 440 mopar cheap and a little more room I'd have one in my 31 tudor.

loudbang likes this.
  28. jaracer

jaracer

I had a couple of cars with 3 speed OD. They were fun to drive. 2nd gear OD was fun around town. You can also easily shift without using the clutch below the OD cut in speed.

Cosmo49 and loudbang like this.
  29. Did a bit of street racing when I was a kid. Had a 55 Ford with a Ford top loader 3 speed. Switched out a worn out Foxcraft floor shifter for a new Indy floor shifter. Good positive shifts and shift stops (that's important). Broke a lot of rear ends banging it into second gear. I'm going to put a 3 speed top loader in my '50 but it'll be on the column this time.

I've had a lot of fun banging around a 3 speed in my time. I've got bad knees but I'm not racing, just cruising around. :cool:

Cosmo49 and loudbang like this.