Register now to get rid of these ads!

autocad hot rod drawing f#$K up

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrodderhaag, Oct 2, 2011.

1. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

i spent all weekend drawing my 30 dodge in auto cad so i had a nice model to go off and measure.. countless hours drawing ,, only to oen it today and for some reason it didnt save properly. the preview for the icon is correct ( with all the parts) but the actual file isnt........... andi checked the propertys and it says last modified was when i save it.. wtf?!!!:mad::confused:

2. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

3. Find the .bak file and save it as a .dwg

4. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

gizmijoe.. you my friend are a very f-ing smart man.. haha after pissing with it all morning and almost throwing the computer out in the rain, i tried what u said and it opend right up!!! waaaaahoooo

5. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

the .bak file wasnt right either, it came up as an error

6. Go to your file folder and find the file with the .bac extension. Rename it with a .dwg extension and open it. It will probably not get you back to where you stopped but it will be within a few minutes of when you last saved.

Never mind I see that you already tried that. looks like you have a corrupted file, did you start with a fresh file or do a save as from another file and go from there?

7. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

Great!
    I tell my students all the time:
    The secret isn't knowing everything.. it's knowing where to find it.
    :)
    Glad I could help.

Now.... you gonna show us the drawing at some point?
    I can't draw a straight line with a ruler.

Joe

8. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

haha well if i can figure out how the heck to get the drawing up on here... i think you guys would like it.. by no means am i building a "r" rod.. more like a traditional but as best to my ability anyways,

9. rod rialto

rod rialto
    from rialto, ca

You should be able to click on "save as" and choose either .pdf or .jpg so you can post it here...I'm interested in seeing it too.

10. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

Cool.
    Worst case if you can't export it to a format we can all view on the board.. just display it on your screen, hit the "printscreen" key to copy it to the clipboard. Then you can paste it to paint or something. After that you can save it as a jpg.

11. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

12. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

theres actually alot of detail in the drawing.. every individual part is there.. waiting on my buddy to draw me a 392 blown hemi for it. then we will convert it all to a solid works 3d model

13. Morrisman

Morrisman
    from England

14. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

15. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Always good to do some designing early on. It can (and usually does) help to avoid problems down the road.

Such as...

You might wanna set your rear trailing arms closer to level.

Good luck with everything.

P.S. - And glad you got your drawing back!

Last edited: Oct 2, 2011

16. And make them longer.

17. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

any ideas and or suggestions are greatly appreciated guys.. thanks

18. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Try this. Begin a new drawing, and try inserting the drawing that won't open as a block. If that works, explode the block and save the file under the original filename.

To post on here, what I usually do is plot the drawing to .pdf with all the line weights etc. I want, then convert the .pdf to .jpg in Photoshop. That's more predictable than plotting direct to .jpg, which sizes the line weights according to the screen size rather than a physical page size. Then I upload the .jpg to Photobucket, whence I may insert it using the postcard-looking icon second from the right in the reply text window.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2011