Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods auto trans cooler fittings

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blackanblue, Apr 5, 2017.

1. blackanblue

blackanblue

So heres the deal, not really hamb friendly but could relate to other builds, I'm installing new rad in my 41 willys fabed a cradle and supports upper and lower hoses are perfect everything is great just like I planned, bbc with th400. However being an auto I need a cooler,which is in the rad great. The issue is the cooler lines into the trans are about 2 inches from the front x member, fittings are inverse flares and I cant get tight enough bend on the 5/16 steel tubing to get under or over the x member so I checked with the google gods and dorman makes an animal that would work 90 degrees for large $$$ so I considered using the flare nut and brasing a steel tube but then wont have swivel,,,any ideas, not an option to relocate the rad,,,,thanks.

2. Pat Thompson

Pat Thompson

Try tat new coated copper line. Bends a lot easier.

3. BJR

BJR

How about a picture of the problem, you will get more replies if we can see the problem.

mgtstumpy likes this.
  4. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

What kind of tubing bender do you have?

5. blackanblue

blackanblue

no pix the rad is out now, standard good tube bender, just cant get tighter bend with the inverted flare nut on, maybe the high dollar dorman fitting is the only option other than the micky mouse braseing option just asking if there was anyone had a creative solution,thanks.

6. what is a standard good tube bender? benders are not all alike... my Ridgid benders can make some real tight bends. how much room do you have?

7. ...don't use the cooler in the radiator, use a simple cooler mounted on the frame rail next to your trans, use short steel lines off trans and about 6" rubber to connect those to the cooler.

mcsfabrication likes this.
  8. How about an Edelman 822540 or 550 with a drilled out female inverted flare union silver soldered onto it after shortening the hose barb.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. I made a bender like this because I needed it right now for 2 bends- but you can buy them.
    These get the bend as close as you can to the fitting. Plus they make tighter bends along the line. The lower one works great to copy lines and I mounted it on vice grips :)
    image.jpeg

image.jpeg

10. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Pictures would have assisted but 2" from X-member doesn't sound right. Radiator fitting should be 1/8"NPT, why not use a right angle fitting? NPT to NPT or NPT to 5/16" inverted flare. That way you can route lines for clearance for low cost. I always run through radiator and auxiliary cooler.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    transmission-coolers-2.jpg

olscrounger likes this.
  11. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Can you make your bend with the fitting on then cut the flare off and flare again with the nut on and shorten it up?
    If your tubing clamp for the flare tool is thin enough it could gain the space needed.

12. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Doesn't anyone use Weatherhead fittings anymore?

The 90 degree, 1/8 male NPT x 5/16 inverse flare fitting is part no. 402x5, they also make a 45 degree version, part no. 352x5.

13. i think he is talking about the lines on the transmission , not radiator

saltflats likes this.
  14. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Oops, missed that. It that is the case then the case fittings are 1/4" NPS with parallel thread and washer for inverted flare and double flared hard line with tube nut (1/2 20 for 5/16 tube or 7/16 24 for 1/4 tube). Case is not NPT (Tapered thread) but NPS (Parallel thread). Banjo fittings might be in order with compression fittings for hard line due to space restriction?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Fluid lines will be 90 degrees to outlet with banjos and not like this example

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
  15. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

You're right, now that I re-read the original post. I think the case has 1/4 NPS (straight pipe thread), so those parts I listed won't work.

16. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

So can you go back and then forward?

17. You sure? I'm not. Wish we had a picture. Can't picture an x-member that close to cooler fittings. How would you get the pan off?
    Okay, if he is, he just needs a couple of fittings, either 45 or 90, that have the male flare on one end, and the female flare seat on the other. Just put them onto the case fittings , and run the lines around ..whatever.

18. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

19. He's wanting to use std. 5/16 flared tube (brake or gas line type) I believe.