Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Auto racing 1894-1942

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kurtis, Jul 18, 2009.

1. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

How many of the driver's ran the race with the Claudel carb is still a mystery to me. Pete de Paolo, in his report of the race mentions that he and de Palma did make a pit stop to clean a dirty throttle but there is no mention of what brand the carb was. Being French, i'd take a guess and say the Ballot team most probably did run with a French carb.

The Claudel Hobson aero carb info i provided is top notch but it doesn't state whether the same model was used in autoracing. I have seen a vintage French motorcycle with a Claudel that looks very similar to the drawings but what looks to be the same on the outside isn't always the same as the inside.

2. Buildy

Buildy

T-Head,

I am enjoying the Duesy powered photos you are posting!

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  3. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mort Robert's car is so pleasantly nasty looking. I like it.

4. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

5. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

Duesenberg four cylinder 8 and 16 valve walking beam racing and aircraft engines.

The first two photos are of an eight valve racing engine with one camshaft.

The third photo is the exhaust side of the sixteen valve engine which has two cams and eight exhaust valves on one side of the engine and eight intakes on the other. Both sides are under covers, the intake side which also serves as an intake manifold. Two of these engines survive one in a Duesenberg racing car and the other in the Kline Car which was a special.

The last two photos show illustrations of the 16 valve aircraft engine they were developing.

Attached Files:

• de1.jpg
      de1.jpg
      File size:
      100.8 KB
      Views:
    • de2.jpg
      de2.jpg
      File size:
      108.7 KB
      Views:
    • de3.jpg
      de3.jpg
      File size:
      158.4 KB
      Views:
    • de4.jpg
      de4.jpg
      File size:
      452.8 KB
      Views:
    • de5.jpg
      de5.jpg
      File size:
      329.8 KB
      Views:
  6. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

7. onelung

onelung
    from Adelaide

From the web...

Attached Files:

8. onelung

onelung
    from Adelaide

This one, also from the web...

Attached Files:

9. ehdubya

ehdubya

Yes the axle is quite different, there's so many cars of the period had such similar radiators, it does look to be cross flow but they may be stiffeners. I thought they looked like 'the sons of millionaires' who might go stropping down braodway. It's a pretty big expensive looking car for those young fellas. They appear to be outside a dealership or garage.

Pimlico maybe, a Thomas set a 50 mile record there in 1906. There doesn't seem to be much info on the racing there on the web. Cedrino was killed in the Briarcliff road race in front of the Pimlico hotel which seems to have been widely misinterpreted as the track.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
  10. ehdubya

ehdubya

Attached Files:

11. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

[​IMG]

As an aside, the car on the pole position is driven by one certain Harry Hartz, then all of 18 years old!

12. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

Harry Hartz I believe is also in this lineup I submitted before, for a cycle car race from Tacoma. Look at the #4 which appears like third sized Mercer.

Attached Files:

• 22.jpg
      22.jpg
      File size:
      196 KB
      Views:
  13. twin6

twin6
    from Vermont

Here's something for the lads in the southern hemisphere: Selwyn Craig is behind the wheel of his 3rd series twin six Packard which he named the Mountain Road Special after the road he lived on, and which he raced on Muriwai Beach on the west coast of Auckland, NZ. Craig won the first beach race for the NZ Cup in 1922 with the car. Onlooker with suspenders is Wizard Smith, Australian world speed record driver.

Attached Files:

14. Buildy

Buildy

I wonder if any of these Cycle car racers in the photos have survived to the present day?

I`d love to see that "Baby Mercer".

15. gearguy

gearguy

I believe Don Edmunds has one. There was a photo of him sitting in one, possibly in Jack Fox's Mighty Midgets book.

16. jimdillon

jimdillon

Twin Six glad to see you posted that. I was going to scan it and throw it out there myself for any comments. Thanks-Jim

17. twin6

twin6
    from Vermont

Re: post 2075 and the Waterman Benz. Here is a photo of the same car, date and location not known, but probably taken in the 1950's. Compare the engine with the photo T-Head posted.

Attached Files:

18. Buildy

Buildy

I can`t imagine the thrill of running that piece of racing history at the Speedway,esp at racing speed.
    You are a lucky man.

Here is one car that survived those racing days,as so many of the others didn`t.

19. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

this was recently auctioned "1908 Isotta Fraschini Tipo FENC Semi Racer – Sold for $166,500. " anyone know the history behind this car?

It didn't happen to come through Dragone?

[​IMG]

20. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good looking special?

[​IMG]

21. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

I think this is what they meant in racing when they mention putting your butt on the line. This is quite the bob job. Most of them were made from Model T's although the only thing I can positively ID here is the T rear axle center section and tubes. The backing plates and brakes are not Ford. It looks to have a conventional gear shift so it is either an add on to a T or a some other make of car or a total special. The gas tank appears to be in the cowl.

I wonder if they changed the wheels and plowed with this thing during the week and went racing on the weekends?

Attached Files:

• butt.jpg
      butt.jpg
      File size:
      110 KB
      Views:
  22. Buildy

Buildy

That one even has a passenger seat in it.

I am fascinated by the old Bob-tailed racers.

Minn 1922 plates on it.

23. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

that rear axle is not even T(the center section is not riveted) probably Chevy, and are those blocks of wood? :eek:

24. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Isotta KM4: (edited)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

This is simply phantastic information, thank you! :)

I was obviously wrong with my guess, but it's interesting that I have Hoyt in the ex-Benedict #39 in my data base, I just didn't know it was the d'Alene car. I may be able to add a few titbits about the racing career (did you know the car was blue for many years?) when I find the time.

[​IMG]

Interestingly, this very picture once prompted an exchange with Gary Doyle, who thought it showed perhaps the old "Meteor Special". I pointed out to him that the Meteor had a straight frame, while this here was obviously a drop-frame. Little did I know that BOTH cars went through Jim Benedict's hands at the time! :cool:

26. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

This is a photo of Jimmy Benedict at Readville in the Duesenberg Meteor in 1924, captioned Readville.

Attached Files:

27. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

I hope this will not cause my departure from this thread but this is a photo of Fred Duesenberg's motorcycle. He built it and if not the whole thing at least the engine in 1902. It had a rotary valve system which was kind of novel at the time.

Attached Files:

28. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

this one was also pulled from a yard in NY:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

29. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

30. The37Kid

The37Kid

[​IMG]I wonder if this is the Ray Gilhoolie car that he ran in the 1914 INDY 500? If so it is in that 1923 Pottstown photo I have. the tail section is different now than in 1914, but how many of these cars were here. Wish George still had it too.