Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Auto racing 1894-1942

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kurtis, Jul 18, 2009.

1. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

It was a thrill for me just to have touched and sat in that car.

[​IMG]

2. Vitesse

Vitesse
    from Bath, UK

The dog's name is Tich, by the way. Bira often took him along as company when flying his gliders!

3. You did an admirable job, given that you had a powerful old Ford with questionable brakes. I think you did quite well, staying with the lead group. I particularly liked when you finally "worried" and ground down" the Lotus XI.

Great Job!:cool:

"Dawg"

4. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

Nuvolari

Attached Files:

5. FWIW: Rally Maestro Carlos Sainz tackles Autodromo Terramar and the Red Bull folks do a fine job of filming it in a captivating fashion. Click ' CC" for the English Translation...

http://youtu.be/H0frJrTduaU

More on it...

http://weburbanist.com/2012/02/12/tired-out-spains-abandoned-sitges-terramar-racetrack/

http://youtu.be/5OT69YFeako

6. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

I have no interest in an ad new Audis or drinking Red Bull

The shots of the old track are nice .......

7. Kume

Kume

Miss Fishers Hispano Suiza!!!
    Was watching this excellent Australian murder mystery last night and Miss Fisher was gadding about in a very smart Hispano - fell in love - with the car !! - can some one steer me in the direction of the best (most informative) publication on this mark. A fleeting scan of Wikawhatever indicates a great WWI aero engine heritage inventing the ali mono-block with cast sleeves and a crazy rifled crank shaft . Was there a track racing history associated with this classy Spanish automobile?
    Kume

Attached Files:

8. The37Kid

The37Kid

9. 36 Airstream

36 Airstream

Thanks for the great compliments. Yes it was a shame I couldnt get around the Lotus earlier and caught the front runners. They were only 5 lap races, I only needed another lap or two.

10. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
  11. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

Attached Files:

12. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

Geo Ham artwork of Bugatti Tank and Voisin Labratorie

Attached Files:

13. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

Nuvolari,1932 Alafa Romeo P3 in Black...

Attached Files:

14. saacha

saacha
    from cloud 9

For the Miller historians:
    Found bits and pieces of and old "Coche a la Vista" magazine published in Argentina 1950, I think, as there is no cover o date on it. Article written by a certain Luis Miguel Sanchez that says about Macoco Alzaga with reference to his Miller exploits in Monza.
    States that Macoco pulled off a lap record of 3 min 51 sec pre race, two days before the race Macoco puts the Miller into the woods, damaging front and rear axles, oil pump and clutch, chassis out of alignment, fire that was put out by Macoco, Larreta, Sivocchi, Bordolino and Murphy. Macoco and Larreta were taken to Milan hospital, and Isotta Fraschini factory took care of the repair of the car. Works were under the supervision of Hugo D'Anuncio and Ernie Brett (Miller mechanic). Car was on the starting grid with poor brakes and no second gear and poor clutch. There is a oil pump changed during the race according to the script. After the race Macoco places flowers on the grave of Sivocchi who had died two laps after helping the Miller Macoco fire. Must admit the text is more like prose so I must assume there are many boo boos in this information
    Photo attached from the same article.

Attached Files:

15. Vitesse

Vitesse
    from Bath, UK

16. ZigZagZ

ZigZagZ
    from LA

Does anyone here Parlez-vous Francais?

Recently I stumbled across an interesting blog. It featured a letter from 1916, and has references to race cars, blue prints, and cologne. I believe the letter is genuine. Would anyone here be able to provide a transcription? I do have a friend who is fluent in French, but she is on vacation in Lebanon right now, and won't be back for a few more weeks.

Attached Files:

17. ZigZagZ

ZigZagZ
    from LA

18. Kume

Kume

a naked Voisin

Attached Files:

19. saacha

saacha
    from cloud 9

Found another very clear picture of Macoco Alzaga Unzue and A. Larreta at the same site as the previous quoted picture .

Attached Files:

20. bugatti7

bugatti7
    from Germany

21. ZigZagZ

ZigZagZ
    from LA

Update: I contacted a pen pal who is connected with the Chevrolet Event in La Chaux-de-Fonds Switzerland. They are excited about the letter, and are going to have an translation available in a few days.

In the letter Louis asks his friend to visit the Lemoine Car Axle Factory near Paris, and see if they can make axles for both the front, and rear of his race car. He also inquires about the blue prints & prices.

More to follow...

22. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

Ballot 2LS engine in Marc's workshop.

Attached Files:

23. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

1921 Indy winner,Tommy Milton.

Attached Files:

24. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

Alfas

Attached Files:

25. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

Boardtrack

Attached Files:

26. saacha

saacha
    from cloud 9

Gill Scott
    Can some one show me a full picture of this car please, belive it is a Thomas special. First time I got to see the picture though this young lady had just sat in the car for a photograph, could not belive latter she had taken the first womans 120Mph badge at Brooklands. Honestly don't think I could handle such a car. all my admiration to Gill Scott.

Attached Files:

27. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

^ Man, that thing is built like a battleship! Gary

28. ttpete

ttpete
    from SE MI

1919 Miller "Baby Chevrolet" built for Cliff Durant. It was something of a flop.

29. Vitesse

Vitesse
    from Bath, UK

Yes, it's JG Parry Thomas' Leyland Thomas No 1. Different paint scheme, but the same car - JGPT at the wheel:

[​IMG]

After JGPT's death at Pendine, the car passed to his friend WB 'Bomber' Scott, Jill Scott's husband. They both drove it at Brooklands, but it no longer exists - it is believed to have been destroyed during the Luftwaffe bombing of London during WW2.

30. saacha

saacha
    from cloud 9

Thanks Vitesse, very nice of you, might you tell me what Leyland works were under the hood or bonett? Not a bus what?