Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Auto racing 1894-1942

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kurtis, Jul 18, 2009.

1. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

??Around the 1920 and a little up,it looks like many are using the same wheel with nockoff hub,what is that from if anything?:confused:

2. Chebby belair

Chebby belair
    from Australia

Great thread! Can anyone recomend some doco's?

3. miller91

miller91

A most remarkable entry in the '06 Vanderbilt Cup. Listed as a Frayer Miller, it DNF'd after 4 laps due to the fan failing. Like an early Porsche air cooling fan? New one on me.

[​IMG]

4. miller91

miller91

An absolutely stunning shot of the internals of the Miller 91 front drive, the '26 Indy entry driven By David Lewis.

[​IMG]

5. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

Found some more pics of the Clement-Bayard but no info. Also some extra pics of the Premier. Both are listed as 1903.

Attached Files:

6. Eddie Rickenbacker?

7. jimdillon

jimdillon

Kurtis, Scott Notebooms (sp?) on this forum discussed the connection of Rickenbacker to the Frayer Miller. Frayer was his mother's maiden name and he has dug up some history of the racing side of his family as well as this car. Pretty neat car-Jim

8. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

Yep. A very young 16 years. Imagine being a ride along mechanic at that age. :cool:

9. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

wow, never knew that they builts cars before 1932.

10. The37Kid

The37Kid

Note the cone on the front of that manifold, part od some Areo package I'm sure.
    [​IMG]

11. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

that particular fairing, covers a pair of vertically mounted spare wheels. Great in theory, bad in paractice. Ostensibly one the major contributing factors to the Peugot loss the '14 GP at Dieppe, was all that wieght mounted nice and high/ out behind/ above the rear axle center line.

12. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

This car just boggles the mind. It was built primarily to tackle the French domination of racing at the time. And it succeeded by winning the French GP, the Kaiserpreis Cup in Germany and the Targa Florio all in the same year. Three were built and driven by what could be considered the best drivers at the time. Felice Nazzaro, Vincenzo Lancia and Louis Wagner.
    1907 FIAT F2: features include
    4Cyl. 16.286cc
    130HP @ 1600RPM
    Hemi chambers
    centre location spark plugs
    Bosch magneto
    90 degree V over head valves...
    and pistons weighing 5kg/11Ib each.
    It is said this car was reaching speeds just a nick over 200km/h at the French GrandPrix with Nazzaro driving.

Attached Files:

HiHelix likes this.
  13. The37Kid

The37Kid

Two Clement Bayard cars from the 1907 GP the four was driven by Alesy the six by Shepard

Attached Files:

HiHelix likes this.
  14. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

Clement Bayard was an interesting fellow. He was the only competitor to protest at the 1904 Vanderbuilt Cup, saying he was held up at one part of the course. He was eventually denied giving Panhard the win and France the trophy.
    His son was killed in practice for the French GP eventually discouraging Clement from further racing exploits but he did make aero engines and eventually planes.
    Now onto his name. Bayard was a famous Knight from the 16th century who helped defend Clements home town so he inturn adopted it.

15. The37Kid

The37Kid

Is George Wingard a HAMB member, is there a website to his collection? This thread gets better every day! Thanks for the Clement Bayard history Kurtis!

16. miller91

miller91

That Vanderbilt ride as a mechanic was his first I believe? A remarkable person with a life Hollywood couldn't dream up. Here are some more in his Mason, Peugeot, Maxwell days. Anyone hazard a guess on the car with the hood off that he is showing off?

17. The37Kid

The37Kid

Quick guess on the V8 with the hood off is Cunningham (pre Briggs) worked on one years ago, nice high quality car.

18. The37Kid

The37Kid

[​IMG]Wonder why they ran wood wheels on this car?

19. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

I'm only guessin' here, but i was thinkin' lightweight. ???

20. miller91

miller91

Look who's behind the wheel.

Algonquin Hill Climb June 1912.

[​IMG]

21. miller91

miller91

Look at all the spares he is carrying, palm trees in the background. Which track? Pre 1915, maybe required lots of tire changes and they tried the split rims as a strategy? Those wooden wheels wouldn't be necessaily light, either...

22. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

1914 American Grand Prize. Santa Monica California.
    Retired with broken crank.

23. jimdillon

jimdillon

The car with the hood off appears to be a mid-teens Cadillac V8. V-styled engines were still a novelty at the time and they were probably admiring the technology.

The car with the wood wheels is probably pre-15 and the Rudge Whitworth wheels were not too plentiful in the states at that time. Some of the wire wheels were not as great on some of the rough roads so they have stuck with a sure thing more than weight savings (strictly a guess though). I see you included the pic of the masks they wore with the tube so they could communicate with each other at speed (out of his autobiography). Great pics though-Jim

24. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

Some more Rickenbacker.. I think this guy needs to be discussed about in a little more detail for some of us who lack the information.

Attached Files:

HiHelix likes this.
  25. miller91

miller91

26. miller91

miller91

27. miller91

miller91

A neat atmospheric shot of the Duesy shop, is that the Milton twin-engined LSR back there?

[​IMG]

28. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

These are my two favorite photos of Milton. I sometimes wonder what he's reading.

Attached Files:

29. The37Kid

The37Kid

[​IMG] This photo bothers me, I once had one of the intake manifold pieces that bolts to the block. Never knew what it fit it is out it eBay sales of the past.

30. The37Kid

The37Kid

Tommy Milton in his MILLER at Charolle October 22, 1924

Attached Files:

HiHelix likes this.