Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Auto racing 1894-1942

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kurtis, Jul 18, 2009.

1. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

I need to go visit perhaos He'll let me take photos

Remember He is proud of his skill not his situation. I would rather never own the machines than pust him..... The machines are all German and some have been there and pushed him pretty hard

2. ebtm3

ebtm3

Doug-- Thanks for the Moyer tip--will write it down

Jim--Would love to see pix of that shop--but how about starting a new topic?
    We have overrun this one with OT stuff

SORRY GUYS- BACK TO AUTO RACING!!!

Herb

3. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

No apologies needed Herb. The recent posts fit in just fine.
    Keep those stories coming gentlemen.

4. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

[​IMG]

We have a post up on The Old Motor with photos by professional photographers Sean Smith and
    Alan Gosley showing Peter Giddings and Peter Greenfield in their Alfa's at the recent Vintage Festival
    at Lime Rock Park pre-war race. You will also find links to some of the other photos and action at the
    beautiful track during the recent 2012 Vintage Festival 30.

[​IMG]

5. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

Thanks for sharing this here David. I have to say it's a joy to see those two guys steering a couple of very valuable pieces of art the way they were originally intended to be driven.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
  6. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

Glad you enjoyed it, you should see, here and smell them in action...An unbelievable show.

7. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

Peter brought his Tipo B to Phillip Island's Historic Races a couple of years ago and i think last year also. Unfortunately i didn't get to make it on both ocassions but i'm quietly confident he'll bring either car down under again in the near future. Are you reading this Peter?;)

Information on both cars... http://petergiddings.com/Cars/TipoB5006.html
    http://www.petergiddings.com/Cars/TipoC50013.html

BTW David, i love that Rolls Royce you just posted on The Old Motor. Yum!

8. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

The chassis for Peter's car may still be deep in the ground behind the railway station in JB

9. Entlebucher

Entlebucher

Very interesting thread!

Don't know if it fits in here or if someone allready posted it:
    Fiat S76 from 1912, with a 4cylinder, 28 liters:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

Yes, the S76 has been posted here before. The 'Beast of Turin', as it's affectionately called, will once again terrorize every dog and child on the streets of Europe thanks to Duncan Pittaway who is going to extraordinary efforts to stay true to the original factory drawings in the recreation of the mammoth machine as we speak.

Follow the link below to see more photos and artwork by Stefan Marjoram and a few comments from Duncan on the progress.
    http://theoldmotor.com/?s=fiat+s76

11. Entlebucher

Entlebucher

Thank you for the info Kurtis! What a great Project. And what a great blog!

12. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

[​IMG]

We have a detailed post up on The Old Motor about the early Cameron and believe this may have been one of the companies first racing cars. Stop by and check out the post we have up on this very interesting car with walking-beam valve gear.

[​IMG]

13. ebtm3

ebtm3

A 4 cylinder "Red Bug"!

And set up for long distance racing--look at the size of that tank!

And the racing brakes--WOW!

Herb

14. The37Kid

The37Kid

Stole this off eBay, I've never seen a two man Right Hand driver MILLER before. I have no connection to the auction, car raced in Europe[​IMG]

15. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

[​IMG]

Just a week ago a rather incredible gathering of some ten "Silver Arrows" occurred at the 2012 Goodwood Revival held at the Goodwood Motor Circuit
    and to honor it we wanted to do something special. We have included many of Stefan Marjoram’s fine photographs of the cars along with three professionally done videos, two by Mercedes-Benz and one of a supercharged Auto Union warm-up for you to enjoy. Stop by and see it at theoldmotor.com

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. saacha

saacha
    from cloud 9

That is Macoco Alzaga and Rodriguez Larreta in caption 8205.

17. Vitesse

Vitesse
    from Bath, UK

The Miller 122 raced by Zborowski in 1924 was - and still is - RHD. As Saacha has identified Alzaga - who also drove a Miller in 1924 - as the driver here, I'll hazard a guess that this picture also dates from 1924 and may even have been taken at Higham, Lou's country estate.

I can't find a picture of Alzaga in action in a Miller though.

18. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

For whatever it's worth, I have an old grainy photo of the Count in the RHD Miller at the '24 GP de l'A.C.F.

Attached Files:

19. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

SORRY but whenever I hear someone say "COUNT'' I think Soupy Sales and ''one two three four'' :)

20. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

Best picture I've seen yet of the Alzaga GP Miller! Many thanks for posting, and also thanks to Charles for identifying the mechanician - was he somehow related to postwar driver "Larry"?

Pending detailed examination of the picture, if it is indeed the Alzaga car it went back to the States in late 1923, and was converted into a bob-tailed single-seater to race at Ascot Speedway. We actually discussed this very car some time back in the Sprint Car thread, but at the time I misidentified it - by now, I have a much clearer picture of the Miller '183' histories. This car was last raced by Eddie Hearne in about 1926, before I lose track.

21. saacha

saacha
    from cloud 9

Yes indeed Mr. Ferner, "Larry" is his son.

22. saacha

saacha
    from cloud 9

Vitesse, my memory plays tricks on me, sorry. Bellow is photograph of Maccoco Alzaga in action in a white? Miller, the last one in the row. This comes from book " Fuerza Libre" page 332 by my very patient friend Guillermo Sanchez, book that I strongly recomend on racing cars in the Pampas. The caption in the book states Beverly Hills 1923.29-11 that agrees with Michael Ferners information.

Attached Files:

23. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

That number four car sure shows some experience? doesn't it....

24. The37Kid

The37Kid

Another eBay MILLER photo, this one was taked in Italy. [​IMG]

25. Vitesse

Vitesse
    from Bath, UK

There's a slightly better version of that picture - and others of Zborowski's Miller - on Motorsnaps.

26. Vitesse

Vitesse
    from Bath, UK

Very obviously the same location as the other one which, given that this appears to be Murphy's car as used in the Italian GP in 1923, suggests it ought to be at Monza.

I therefore withdraw my suggestion it's at Higham :D

27. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

[​IMG]

It's actually #14, a Duesenberg, and the assigned driver was Dave Lewis.

Thanks again for that picture - it's another I hadn't seen before, ¡mucho gracias! While I agree, that looks like the Beverly Hills track, I do not agree with the date - I'm sure it's a publicity photo, taken several days before the actual race. For one thing, that doesn't appear to be the start/finish-line, as there would have to be the press boxes in the background - unless they had already been removed by that time. Also, Alzaga didn't compete on race day; his car was driven by Leon Duray instead.

Next car behind the Duesenberg is the "Wade Special" Miller '122' of Harlan Fengler, easily identified by the missing louvres on the hood and the specially shaped radiator intake. Then, a standard bodied 1923 Miller '122', of which there were only seven built. One was rebuilt into the "Wade Special", two others became "HCS Specials", also with special radiators, and the other four remained in "Durant Special" configuration until the Beverly Hills race - or so I thought! This one appears to be of a different colour, and the Durant emblem appears to be missing on the scuttle. Unfortunately, I can't ID the driver, maybe it was a "stooge" anyway. The fourth car, of course, is Alzaga's Miller, still in Monza configuration and colours, but already carrying #16 for the LA race.

28. chuxx

chuxx

Hope these pictures have not been posted here before. I figure they fit right in.

Attached Files:

29. hddennis

hddennis
    from Georgia

Anyone recognize these guys from my latest eBay purchase?

Howard Dennis

Attached Files:

30. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

Michael, is this the referenced thread? post 8509
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?p=4677037&highlight=bob+tail#post4677037