Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Auto racing 1894-1942

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kurtis, Jul 18, 2009.

1. MrFire

MrFire
    from Gold Coast

2. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

Don Hartness in what appears to be a later version of his Overland "Whitey".....

[​IMG]

3. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

4. -Brent-

-Brent-

Don't know anything about either of these photos, nor am I sure if they've been posted yet. However, the first one of the Alpha (?) is pretty amazing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

5. WOW t-head!

Thanks for the post regarding the specs on the Sir Malcom Campbell Bluebird!!

That was quite an effort and is MUCH appreciated!

That's what makes this thread so fantastic. People giving of themselves for the benefit of others.

Thanks again!

JG

6. ehdubya

ehdubya

Wizard Smith lifting a wheel in the 370 HP Rolls powered Cad 'ANZAC'.

Attached Files:

7. MrFire

MrFire
    from Gold Coast

8. Vitesse

Vitesse
    from Bath, UK

The caption on the first one is correct: Varzi in the 1930 Targa Florio, which was really the last of the old-style road races, over unmade roads through towns and villages.

The second picture is fairly well-known. Again from the Targa Florio, but this time 1923. Also an Alfa Romeo, the RLTF model. Driver is Antonio Ascari (father of Alberto) and the guy hanging off the side is the great driver/engineer Giulio Ramponi, at that time Ascari's riding mechanic.

Ascari had been leading when the car broke down within sight of the finish line - after frantic repairs he got going, but for reasons unknown those two "helpers" hitched a ride on the back. Ascari had apparently won, but the officials insisted that he should return to the point where he had broken down and do it again legally. Some accounts of this say he reversed all the way, but I'm of the opinion that this is almost certainly a mistranslation.

Whatever the truth, by the time he had done that, he had been passed by his teammate Ugo Sivocci and had to settle for second place.

9. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

Now that is a GREAT photo.....

10. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

think that pretty much hits the nail on the head.

11. HarryPallenberg

HarryPallenberg

Hi, pretty new to posting on these boards... been a lurker for months....

I am producer at KCET - PBS in L.A. and am working on a documentary film based on the Harold Osmer book WHERE THEY RACED. Its all about the lost racing venues, backyard tinkerers and larger than life characters that made in sunny Southern California a motorsports mecca. From the very earliest days thru Santa Monica road races, Legion Ascot, the board tracks, Gilmore, Lions, Carrell, Paramount Ranch.... and more...

We have already shot interviews with Richard Parks (son of Wally), Chuck Griffith (ran Pomona Drag for 19 years), Greg Sharp (NHRA Museum), Judy Thompson Creach (Mickey's ex-wife), Danny Thompson (Mickey's son), Tom Malloy (his father built Carrell Speedway) and Harold Osmer (he wrote the book)...

I am ALWAYS looking for more photos and or home movies of all these tracks - the earlier the better. This thread is HUGE and filled with so many photos. Wow. Hard to find time to soak it all in.

Please check out www.wheretheyraced.com for more info or email me at [email protected] if you might be interested in helping to to 'curate' this thread for me.

12. noboD

noboD

Welcome Harry. That sounds like a very interesting documentary, hope it's shown on the right coast.

13. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

Welcome Harry.

Sounds like alot of hard work, especially the earlier material, but it will be well worth the effort in the end and i look forward to a great doco. Hopefully it can be shown downunder.

14. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

A couple of photos from Brooklands.

Selwyn F. Edge in a Spyker during a record run. I suspect this was a 24hr race of some sort.
    The second photo is a mystery. Aston Martin maybe?

Attached Files:

15. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

Fontane in a Lozier that went out with engine troubles during the 1912 Grand Prize Race at Milwaukee.....

[​IMG]

16. Vitesse

Vitesse
    from Bath, UK

This was a successful attempt on the 24 Hour record, carried out on July 19-20th 1922. All 24 hour records had to be set in 12 hour stints, as night running was banned at Brooklands shortly after Edge's 24-hour run in a Napier in 1907. A replica of the car can be found at the Autotron Museum at Rosmalen:

http://www.ritzsite.nl/Spyker/07_spyker.htm

17. Vitesse

Vitesse
    from Bath, UK

Definitely. This is "Bunny" on a record run on May 24th 1922, when it was driven by Sammy Davis, Clive Gallop and H Kensington Moir: Davis is the chap in dark overalls next to the lady in the cloche hat and I think that's probably Lionel Martin leaning on the tail of the car.

Altogether, "Bunny" ran for over 16 hours that day, breaking 10 World and 22 class records over various distances, including some of Edge's which had stood since 1907. Edge was actually at Brooklands as well, overseeing a record run by AC, which took place simultaneously with the Aston Martin attempt.

18. memaerobilia

memaerobilia

At well over 5000 posts on this thread, I "tried" to see if this one was posted yet. It comes from a collection of photos of the 1921 French Grand Prix, which was won by Jimmy Murphy in one of the Duesenbergs. It is one of my favorte photos. The story of the battered and bandaged Murphy,(from waist to shoulders,) leaving (escaping?) the hospital just in time to get to the race course and proceeding to win against a seriously hostile French crowd has been covered earlier in the thread. Every time I watch a Sunday Nascar race, when they call a yellow flag for a tiny piece of debris on the track, I think of this photo, and similar photos from Alec Ulmann's collection, on the 1921 Grand Prix race. Just look at the loose stones all over that track on those OLD-style, thin tires! A stone went through Chassagne's gas tank. Boillot's Sunbeam had to change 9 wheels and Seagrave changed 14! One of the flying stones knocked out Segrave's riding mechainc for "several minutes!" Murphy took the lead after a stone went through Boyers radiator and the engine blew up. Finally, the battered Murphy, having driven though the race over that rough surface, had a stone go through his own radiator and another punctured his rear tire with almost two laps to go (11.5 miles per lap!) but somehow survived and kept running to become the winner. Not sure which of the Duesenbergs this one actualy is. But you can also see a hose coming out of the top of the radiator and fastened to the lower, outer frame. In the actual photo, you can see steam coming out of the bottom of the hose. Gives a new meaning to "Those guys really had stones" doesn't it?:)

Attached Files:

19. HarryPallenberg

HarryPallenberg

Kurtis & noboD - yes lots of work... and even if it does not play on TV down under or n the right coast - there will always at least be DVDs. I'm only on like page 10 of this thread and page 50 something of the History of LA thread.... these boards are a major time suck!

20. ehdubya

ehdubya

Kurtis mentioned a 'Bunny' car in Paris earlier...
    [​IMG]

and I posted pics of the Lionel Martin prepared 1912 GP cars Bunnies V and IV, so it's hard to imagine this car emblazoned AM1 was "affectionately known as" 'Bunny' in 1922. Could this be the real Bunny in the middle :confused: ...and what's that closest :D

21. Vitesse

Vitesse
    from Bath, UK

22. ehdubya

ehdubya

Last edited: Nov 13, 2010
  23. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

24. Howard Kroplick

Howard Kroplick

I thought the board would enjoy this brief 1997 film from the Henry Ford Museum
    on the winner of the 1908 Vanderbilt Cup Race- Old 16 Locomobile:

http://www.vanderbiltcupraces.com/index.php/blog/article/sunday_november_13_2010\
    _film_paul_newman_and_old_16

The film by Academy Award winning producer Sue Marx was narrated by Oscar winner
    and racing enthusiast Paul Newman. It incorporated historic race footage of the
    1904 Vanderbilt Cup Race and 1997 footage of Old 16 being driven around
    Greenfield Village in Dearborn, Michigan.

Enjoy,

Howard Kroplick
    East Hills, New York

25. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

26. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Not all fast cars are large

Attached Files:

27. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

Only in Eastonia would they race a Model T Ford with four passengers......

[​IMG]

28. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

29. ehdubya

ehdubya

Fantastic graphics T, Nu Man's car looks like Bowden's Flying Dutchman

+3 touring car racing, when did it die out in the states? +3 Hillclimbs were popular once too eh?

A 1905 Harlem grid and Jerry Ellis and chums with their Apperson...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 15, 2010