Register now to get rid of these ads!

Auto Parts Store War Stories

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by leadsled, Jun 9, 2009.

1. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

When I go to my local autozone, about the last thing I want to do with those guys is muddy the water by telling them I have a '51 Ford with a SBC in it.

So when they ask me for the application, I just tell them what they need to hear; the alternator is for a 96 olds aurora, or the brake calipers are for a 86 camaro z28,whatever it takes.

I just found a place near downtown LA that's awesome. They have a machine shop and at least 50 greasy parts books, which they don't seem to need anyway because if you tell them you need a shim for a ford 8" rear axle from a maverick because you're putting 96 crown vic disc brakes on it, well they knew where to look and had a selection of different sizes. :)

It costs more , but the service is more than worth it.

At the Autozone near the shop I try to avoid asking any questions if I can help it. They mean well but they just don't have the answers usually.

They're quick to let me look for my own stuff in the back, which is better for both of us.

Quick tip: They have lots of cool stuff on the shelves that never makes it to the floor. like *good* hose clamps, mastercylinder brake fittings, and oddball stuff like radiator flush kits, petcocks, boxes of brass fittings, etc, and of course brake and fuel lines.

2. 666Irish

666Irish

This has always been one of my favorite stories...

I used to work in a shop in Boston. We did restoration and repair on pre 1980 British cars. We had a local shop that would order anything and everything we needed, and kept in stock a lot of commonly ordered parts, just for us.

So one day my boss runs over there to get 2 wheel cylinders for a 64 MGB, which we knew that they kept in stock. There was a new kid at the counter that says they don't carry those parts, then admits that he has no idea what an MGB even is. To top it off, he treated my boss like an idiot (Kid drove a poorly constructed Ricer.

My boss grabs the manager, lets him know what is going on. Manager gets the parts, gives them to my boss, then informs the new kid that his schedule has been changed. He is to report to my boss at his shop at 9am for the next three days. He is to learn everything he can about British cars, and do my bosses bidding.

He turned out to be a good kid, with a real desire to learn. By the time he left, he knew all of the basics, and the shop was spotless!

3. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

because thats all you get for $5.15 an hour.

4. when i need a part i go online and do all the homework before i get in the car. make a call and see if they have it by getting a "physical check" and if i have to wait what seems like 10 minutes who gives a fuck because i'm sitting comfortably cruising the internet. being in a hurry is fine when your running a shop but otherwise chill out.

5. I needed a radiator hose for my '56 awhile back and it's 2" in and 2" out and has a 90 degree bend. I just went to NAPA's website and searched until I found one. Went to the store and told them I wanted a lower radiator hose for a 460 Ford pickup .. done deal ..

6. 666Irish, that is a good one! I was lucky enough to sweep floors at the local FORD agency as a 15 year old kid and learned so much from the mechanics. i was so glad when they needed help with something as a time to learn and prove my self as more than a floor sweeper! We need the apprentice ship job market!

7. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

1) i would have to agree, for the most part, NAPA is still very decent. Any parts store where you can't walk up and down the isles---because there are no isles---the parts people have to go in the back and get the parts for you is probably a decent parts store.

My (new) NAPA store was very knowledgeable and even trusted me (this is the first time i've ever done business with them) to order an alternator for me and they did not even ask for a deposit!

2) What's starting to be missing from the automotive scene is the older guy with a pipe (he's usually got a pipe or at least a cig) who REALLY knows cars, cusses alot, and if you're younger, he doesn't like you. He won't tell you he doesn't like you. But you can tell just through body language and other hints that he has contempt for you simply because you are younger and i think that's totally cool.

8. ron1970nova

ron1970nova

I agree that the stores are stocked full of rookie know it all wanna bees, but as stated some have the old guard that actually does know it all! But, do not go in and give generic info, saying are all the same may as well cut your throat, as we know most are not. It is the old addage...garbage in, garbage out! Help them to become an old know it all counterman, dont force them out! We all had to start out knowing nothing. Sure some will never learn and hopefully those go!

9. allengator

allengator
    from Keller, TX

OK... One more from the weekend...
    I asked for a round 14" x 3" air filter...
    Counter kid says what kind of car?
    I point to the chrome EDLB assembly behind him and say.. "Not for any particular application, I just need the replacement filter for those...."
    He says in a very pissy attitude... "Well what kind of car did you put it on?"

10. manyolcars

manyolcars

When did Ford pickups have a 460?

11. For many years! I know it was available through the '70s, at least.

12. OK, I have been in the parts business for 14 years and recently sold the store and retired. Hoorah for me. So I go into Advanced auto the other day and ask the clerk for a universal timing pointer for a small block chevy engine. The blank stare told me he was not with me so I told him " you know the little timing pointer that is attached to the timing chain cover down by the harmonic balancer". He replies " Sir, I have no idea what you are talking about"!! I thanked him for his honesty and left the store.

All my friends are constantly begging me to go back into the business. I can see why!LOL

Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
  13. manyolcars

manyolcars

thanks
    I will look it up
    I have a 60 F100 with a 1973 Lincoln 460

14. Of course the probly did! You changed the motor out from the original small-black chevy that they all seem to come with. Just messing with ya!

15. Now That's Funny!!!!

16. DEEPNHOCK

DEEPNHOCK

I have been in the parts business for 40 years.
    It saddens me to see what has become of a decent profession.
    Computers did this.
    Nowadays, if it is not in the F1 thru F9 key...You are screwed.

But, this is a war story thread, so....
    I went into an unamed auto supply chain store (I won't use the AutoZone name) once...
    I was looking for a clutch disc for a '56 Studebaker 3/4 ton pickup.
    I knew better than to tell the counterguy anything...
    (and I knew a 1967 Jeep had the sale 11" diameterx1" ten spline hub)
    So I ask to look at his clutch book.
    The guy tosses me over to the manager.
    The manager says he has no books as his district manager came in and told him to toss ALL of his catalogs out in the dumpster (and made them do it 'on the spot'....
    Then his DM chided them and told them if they cannot complete a parts transaction within three minutes, they should send the customer down the road.
    I said that his DM was a real dumbf%$k.
    Then the manager nodded and eyeballed me over yonder by d'ere behind the counter where he had stashed his recently recovered catalog rack way, way out of site.
    I did the reserach....he made the sale.
    I felt for the guy (and the crew) because they are trapped like rats inside that corporate auto supply box.
    And the good ones go ka-ching!
    Jeff:cool:

17. They have had 460's for years. I had an option to have a 460 in mine (1992) but I got a diesel. I'd say from about 1973 until they quit making them.

18. 56Chevy4Dr

56Chevy4Dr
    from Texas

From the mid 70's throught the mid 90's.

I could be wrong.....

I looked it up on AutoZone's on-line Web sites. lol :)

19. rustyford40

rustyford40
    from Mass Bay

Now thats funny and true

20. aussiesteve

aussiesteve
    BANNED

I went to NAPA today and guess what.
    Their computer was down and the dumb non english speaking person behind the counter couldn,t figure out how to look up parts in a parts book.
    So what does he do?
    Call another non english speaking guy in another store and have him do it.
    Talk about a deer in the headlights

21. I believe 1977 was the first year for a 460 in a pickup. Available in F150, 250 and 350. In 1980 the 460 was only available in F250 , 350. I think 1995 was the last year for the 460 engine.

22. My dad was on the road for work one time, and he stopped in at a junkyard to buy a gauge cluster for his '57 Chevy pickup. The guy at the yard cussed my dad out and refused to sell him anything because he figured since he was dressed in a suit and driving a new car, he could afford to buy new parts.

You gotta love those crazy old junkyard guys. :D

23. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

Around here, Carquest is about as old school as can be, but I did get a blank stare when I asked for eight r45ts plugs and a set of plug wires for a v8 with points and all straight boots. Fortunately the older guy handed him the book.

24. ghastlyone

ghastlyone
    from Beaver PA

I spent 3 years working for the MORONS in one of those chain parts stores. Pure hell. Other than myself there were only 3 other guys who knew anything worth-while, and they were all 60+, and part time. We had a regular customer who had a BITCHIN 32 ford, that was originally built up in 1956. It got put away in the early 60s and sat untouched until he found it around 2004. Flathead with Offy heads, 3 97s, etc... This thing was right outta HopUp. Anyhow, I was working one day and he came in all pissed off. He went on to explain to me that he had been there 4 times that day already trying to get his brakes worked out. Every time he was given incorrect parts. I talked to him for 5 min and realized why... The front drums on the car were late 40s chevy bits, and although he told the genius who was working that morning that, the kid just kept giving him any parts he could for a 56 ford whatever. He heard, "built" in 56 and stopped listening. And dont get me started on looking up parts in the books. Im pretty sure most of these guys cant read. I was the only person who could find anything in a book other than the manager who actually did know his shit.

25. Hoffy The Welder-Man

Hoffy The Welder-Man

I know this is off topic, One day i asked my friend when was the last time he changed his oil and he said that the dealership did it when they bought the truck i 92 and this was around 2006, when i finally got him to get what he needed i pulled the plug and the old oil was as gray as primer and ran like water. later days i one asked him to check his BLINKER FLUID and he actually jumper under the truck and acted like he was so cool.

26. Hoffy The Welder-Man

Hoffy The Welder-Man

no they go baxk to att least 68 and they also came in pasanger cars like lincolns

27. 56Chevy4Dr

56Chevy4Dr
    from Texas

Originally Posted by manyolcars [​IMG]
    When did Ford pickups have a 460?

Originally Posted by DonMan
    I believe 1977 was the first year for a 460 in a pickup. Available in F150, 250 and 350. In 1980 the 460 was only available in F250 , 350. I think 1995 was the last year for the 460 engine.

Even in 1973, you could get a 460 cid in any style “F” Series PickUp. Yep, the ½ Ton had it available too. The last available year was 1997.

FYI....
    56Chevy4Dr

Last edited: Nov 22, 2009
  28. Ron In the SHOP

Ron In the SHOP
    BANNED
    from california

We owned a 1973 F-250 with a 360 "FE" and another one with a 460
    and then got another in 1979 that had a 460.

have some fun and ask for a powerglide oil pan gasket for a 77 vega wagon with a 540 BBc in it and a nine inch ford rear in it......

29. I had come to an agreement (with myself mostly) that I can only buy my parts on line, because I have absolutly no patients for stupid people. now i knowlonger feel the need to insult them in front of there co-workers.

30. bonesy

bonesy

If you know the counter guy can only look up parts buy make, model and year - why give him other information and expect him to find it?

I feel for those guys. They are unskilled labor making min wage - because as a whole we don't want to pay the extra $0.12 per can for carb cleaner to support skilled counter folks.