Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Auto or stick...but with a twist

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by drptop70ss, Dec 31, 2019.

1. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

Well we are all getting older, and I am starting to build some cars that will not be on the "must keep" list so they will be sold off eventually to make some shop room. Next in line is a super solid 1939 Buick coupe roller that I will be making into a driver. Goal is to stick with original looking style including steel wheels and caps (may not be able to resist putting cragar SS wheels on it) but with a bit more muscle under the hood.
    Now for me the car screams to have a manual trans if only for the fun of driving it. Thing is what guys are going to want to buy a 39 Buick? Am I wrong to assume it will be someone from the crowd older than me (I am 52), and if that is the case, are the older than me guys here (60s and older) still banging gears or is the automatic is a bigger selling point? I plan on a hydraulic clutch so a heavy clutch pedal will not be an issue.
    I wouldn't even consider this a question, but the other day a guy saw my 51 F1 in the driveway and was all over it. Not for sale, but regardless when he heard it was a manual trans he said he preferred to have an automatic. Never heard that before!
    I know I will end up building the car for me the way I want it, but curious if anyone here has bailed on a car you liked because it was a stick.

loudbang and mad mikey like this.
  2. I am 69 and I still prefer a stick.

loudbang, Deuces, Cosmo49 and 2 others like this.
  3. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

cool...nice avatar, just sold my 61 bubbletop last week after having it 25 years. Yeah its a sport coupe but I call it a bubbletop :D

loudbang and Deuces like this.
  4. Stick for me,,,I’m 56,,,,, but I plan on still pulling the handle later.
    Auto is fine too,,,,I have OT dd,s that are both,,,but I prefer stick !

Tommy

loudbang, Deuces and mad mikey like this.

5. I still prefer a standard, but seems we are the minority anymore. My 15 year old son is putting a standard in his 63 Chevy pu and I figure he may be one of the only kids in his group of friends that will know how to drive a standard, especially on the column... My guess is that automatics are more marketable, but I like to build stuff that is fun.

Rickybop, loudbang and mad mikey like this.
  6. automatic. some of us old guys have hips, knees and ankles not suited anymore for a clutch.

j3harleys, dirt t, mgtstumpy and 4 others like this.
  7. I love a stick, have had my share and blew up some. The reason I have a auto in the coupe is it made the car more consistent in the 1/4 mile, and less breakage. It is a full manual race trans and still lots of fun.

loudbang, swade41 and guthriesmith like this.
  8. And, I don’t mean to say automatics aren’t fun too. My Chevelle that I raced was an automatic with a 3500 stall. It was sure fun too and I also get the part about automatics making more sense as my knees are messed up from years of abuse. I am just fortunate to still be able to drive standards so far.

Deuces likes this.
  9. Here’s my opinion
    0006DAB8-6C27-4F99-829D-49A404D264F2.jpeg

Dusty roads, loudbang, Deuces and 4 others like this.
  10. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

IMG_0663.JPG IMG_1336.JPG

Manual for me. In heaven they drive manuals and in the "other place" they drive "autotragics"!

Last edited: Dec 31, 2019
  11. 327Eric

327Eric

If you want to sell to a limited older demographic, put a stick in it. If you want a wider demographic, put an auto in it, and avoid graphics.

Hnstray and Deuces like this.
  12. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Automatic over a standard anytime

Hnstray likes this.
  13. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Auto probably aims it toward older folk that have some spare cash, quicker painless sale.
    If You already have an auto on hand then its a no brainer with less $ invested.

Hnstray likes this.
  14. southcross2631

southcross2631

Put a 12 valve Cummins in it and they won't care whether it is a stick or automatic. you have enough room under the hood.

ffr1222k likes this.
  15. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG]
    Maybe real hot rods have 3 pedals....but real hot rodders don't always have 2 good knees or a good back.
    I've built a lot of cars over the years...the majority being 3 & 4 speeds. My last 2 were automatics for the above reasons...I just can't deal that well with a clutch anymore.
    My vote is an automatic. Every one can drive an automatic...not everyone can drive a stick.

Also, it's easier to do a "smoky burn-out" with only 2 pedals:D

Hnstray likes this.
  16. BJR

BJR

I have had 3 speeds, 4 speeds, and prefer automatics. Now a days automatics shift faster than sticks, which was the big deal about having a fast shifting stick in a performance car years ago. Like was said earlier, bad ankles, knees, hips, limit your selling demographic if your car has a stick. I like automatics just because it allows me to enjoy the ease of the ride, easier to drive, and my girlfriend can drive it with no problem. 30 years ago I would NEVER have said this, but times change as age changes.

17. connielu

connielu
    1. A-D Truckers

My wife insisted that my daughter know how to drive a stick. Put what ever transmission will sell the best if that is what you are going to do with it. My knees , back, hips, and ankles hurt from arthritis too but my ride has three pedals.

Sent from my SM-G965U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

18. I had an automatic “hot rod” once...once!:D

Deuces likes this.
  19. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

I always prefer the manual, but keep in mind the car will look like this if I use the stock wheels. Suspension and drivetrain will be upgraded. Not selling right away, just not on the keeper list, but hey that could change once I drive it

09297ABA-F8C2-4107-BB0A-D26C2100B949.jpeg

20. My advice is to write down these stick shift promoters here so when it's time to sell they can be the first ones you call, they can put their money where their mouth is, unless they are all talk.
    Your safe bet is an automatic, you'd reach a way bigger audience, throw a shift kit and a little converter in it for spirited driving.
    I drove truck in the city for a living, the last thing I wanted to do was shift more gears on the way home, I wanted to have a beverage (be it hot or cold) and a relaxing ride. My current stable of cars are automatics for that very reason and a dose of bad left knee (wonder how I got that), one is a full manual reverse valve body so I do have to shift every gear on it, the others have shift kits so I have a choice of shifting if I want or let it do it's thing.

Hnstray and RJP like this.
  21. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey Scotty, From your avatar, I would think you'd be a "Powerglide guy":D:eek::D:eek:

scotty t likes this.
  22. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I'm 82, have a handicapped placard for parking, walk with a cane, and my truck and my DD are automatics. But my "A" Hiboy SBC powered roadster has a 4 speed and my '40 Ford coupe is powered by SBF and has a 5 speed. The roadster tag reads "3 PEDLS" and the coupe reads "3PEDLS2".

Rickybop, Ned Ludd, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  23. After 55 years of 4 speeds, I grew tired of it and put an auto in my last build, the 34 truck. I still have 4 cars with straight shifts, but I drive the autos more.

24. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

[​IMG]
    THIS^^^^^^^

scotty t and ffr1222k like this.
  25. LWEL9226

LWEL9226
    from So. Oregon

I prefer a stick.... My knees prefer an auto....

LW

26. Budget36

Budget36

I would just build it. My 24 YO daughter has handed me a winter project since I have her engine out...ditch the 700R4, and put in the T-56. My opinion if I was in the market to buy something would be what engine is in it. I'd run away from a flathead V8 with a C4, I'd be more interested in a 6cyl with a manual.

Thing you have to remember, since it sounds like your building it for sale, is there is an ass for every seat. Some asses take longer than other to find your seat you're selling.

27. Hombre

Hombre

I could write a couple of paragraphs about bad knees, bad ankles, bad hips and still not cover it all. My Hot Rods will always have 4 Speeds when it's up to me. The day I cannot shift anymore I will give it up. Now with that said, automatics do have a place mostly for those that complain a lot about there bad parts. Manuals are a huge pain in the ass if you have to drive in traffic, that's the worst experience there is Traffic and a manual. I don't do that traffic thing but I am lucky I live out in the country, there you just add a little more torque when you build the motor, hell that feels better anyway, and watch out for cows and horse's.

I am a old guy and I built my cars for me and the way I remember things back in the day. Then a Hot car was a 4 speed. Automatics were for the Mom's and the Grand Folks. I'm keeping it that way for ME.

I don't flip me cars so what sells and what doesn't is simple not in the picture for me.

Rickybop and Deuces like this.
  28. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Auto in my 35 and 46, stick in my 64. My DD is also auto. Now that I'm officially OLD (60) I know that I don't have the same physical attributes that I did years ago, stick is fun however when I get out after a drive my body reacts to having pushed the clutch pedal in and out. All those years of abuse and contact sport are finally catching up with me.;)

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  29. If I'm gonna build a 39 Buick coupe for myself, it's gonna have a manual transmission just because I prefer it that way. If I'm gonna build that same coupe to sell I'll put an automatic in it. I realize I'm in the minority when it comes to transmission choices, especially for Buicks and I'm ok with that.

scotty t likes this.
  30. Phil P

Phil P
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This automatic for resale isn't new. I was ordering a new pickup in 1977, the sales man and I were going through the option list (remember when it was pages long and you could order 1 thing and not have to take a package:rolleyes:?) When we got to the transmission the salesman told me the auto will be easier to resell. I told him I was buying the trunk for me not that guy.;)

Phil

thirtytwo and Hombre like this.