Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Auto meter rev control

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cjo13, Jan 21, 2019.

1. cjo13

cjo13
    from SD

My 65 Plymouth drag car has an old auto meter sweep tach and a auto meter rev control mounted under the dash. Does anybody know if I should try to figure out how to hook it up to my B block? I am putting her back together with a 383 and a 4 speed as this was how it was ran at one time. I need to rewire the car as it has sat outside for years and most of the insulation is shot on the wires. If someone has a clue how to hook it up I will give it a try after I get the engine broke in.

Thank You in advance!

CJO 13 D55D5646-D99F-4964-8F19-CC160AE3449E.jpeg

2. squirrel

squirrel

might help if you post a few pictures of the various parts....

3. squirrel

squirrel

is it one of these?

vintage-1960-s-auto-meter-rev-control-model-452-limiter-box-fomoco-chevy-mopar.jpeg

if so, it looks like you wire the tach to the METER connections, both (+) and (-), and the coil (-) terminal to the DIST PRI connection, and ground to the GRD connection.

4. Sorry I cant help you with a wiring diagram, but a rev limiter is cheep insurance against over-reving your engine. Broken drive line parts or missed shifts while racing can end in disaster without one. I know my ass has been saved more then once on the street and drag strip. Nice Mopar by the way.

5. cjo13

cjo13
    from SD

It is one like that. Has anybody used one, or know much about them. Are they safe to use or are they very crude and unreliable? An electronic dist and msd soft touch is not that expensive if this may cause issues.

CJO13

6. squirrel

squirrel

the correct thing to use is one of the old Moroso mechanical rev limiters....with a cable drive tach, and the drive splitter.

But real men don't use a rev limiter. I've never had one on my Chevy II, it runs 10s most of the time, and gets a bunch of street miles, and it's still alive. Granted, I had to replace the intake valves about the same time I finally fixed the shifter, but I didn't blow it up.

427 sleeper likes this.
  7. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Can I be correct then? Wow that would be a new one! Gary;););) rev limiter1.jpg rev limiter2.jpg

squirrel likes this.
  8. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Sure trying to be correct and forgot pictures of the rev limiter! Gary correct old.jpg correct.jpg correct old t.jpg correct ojd tach.jpg

Deuces likes this.