Register now to get rid of these ads!

Auto Magazines filed Bankruptcy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Buick59, Apr 29, 2009.

1. OK Stuart Smalley:p

2. eye bone

eye bone

Ah! The good ol' First Amendment at work! Cool! (& just in case someone miss-interprets that statement as some kind of cynical joke! It's not! I mean it!)

3. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

This thread has gone full circle, huh? How many times are we/I going to do this?

1. Someone posts a jab at the magazines.

2. Ryan gets all emotional and starts rambling along like he's anything more than just some dirt bag kid that's into cars.

3. Ryan gets all kinds of phone calls from people that wear ties (and are really mad) as a result.

4. Others begin to take sides.

5. Thread turns into mash potatoes without the gravy.

6. Kirk! speaks up like he works at a real magazine. :)

7. Some guy named Jim thinks it's all about him. His feelers get hurt.

8. Ryan is all like, "But, wha... I'm trying to make a point here!"

9. It ends... and nobody really cares anyway.

It's just old cars fellas... Old cars. And, at the end of the day - they rule.

I'm gonna go check the mail box - maybe the December, 2009 issue of R&C is here.

4. eye bone

eye bone

I got my R&C it's a good one!

5. KIRK!

KIRK!

One of these days I'll be a real boy. :D

6. Cabana Boy to the stars!?

7. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

Wouldn't be a party until I cried in the corner! :(

If anything I'm glad it brought Rob out of seclusion to remind where my place is. ;)

8. NoSurf

NoSurf

Now that's some funny shit right there.

9. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

I just wish JimA would hurry up and write that Early Times book he's been talking about. :D

10. jangleguy

jangleguy

Shouldn't the Jan. '10 issue be out by now? It's been, like, forever...

11. Chebby belair

Chebby belair
    from Australia

12. FritzTownFord

FritzTownFord

13. eye bone

eye bone

14. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

Hey, a great step forward is that I work in the same building with an Early Times legend and longest running active member.

When things settle down I want him to give me the FULLLLL Long Beach rod & kustom history story. Early Times is a HUGE part of that story. Book companies other than Steve Coonan didn't see the potential in a book about one club. I think the Long Beach story might be a better angle- but let's not make this about me ;)

15. I wish Germ would reappear just for this thread.............

"I'm a rock star with a huge cock so it;s easy to snort cocaine all day with magazine editors, make phone calls, and then cancel my own tours after ticket sale receipts fall in my lap....."

16. 1beatnik

1beatnik
    from indiana

Those mags have alot of history, but suck now, its to bad. The Rodders Journal, and a couple other are the only ones worth subsribing to. HOT ROD lost its luster long ago. VIVA LA HAMB

17. frank spittle

frank spittle

I am one who cannot give up print. I read the morning paper everyday and subscribe to several mags including Hot Rod. Have since the '60s.

18. KK500

KK500

LOST THE PLOT!!!!!!!
    Hot Rod and Rod and Custom want me to renew!!???!?!
    Not a chance, have u seen the photos of hybrids and imports in the news pages?? A tech article on fuel injection that shows an air filter connection made from an ACE Hardware clothes dryer elbow??!???! :eek: WTF :eek:

Church, Fuel and TRJ for me.

19. RichG

RichG

Well, that just SUCKS! I'm out.

20. HotRodWillys

HotRodWillys
    from California

I like my printed magazine material too.I keep the older and recent favz on my coffee table & desk.The internet is cool too because we can all post any hour of the day on this site and other sites,you cant do that in a published magazine so I think we need both.Just think if one of them goes away? I have a friend that repairs news rack machines for the Chronicle and other papers and he's worrying about the news papers going out of business.I dont agree with the old slogan "out with the old and in with the new" but I will admit I have unconciously stopped picking up classified add papers like the Bay Classifieds and Diablo Dealer like I used to when I want to look for cars & parts for sale.Im probably missing out on things but those papers are also free and over run with new car adds now.
    I found my old front engine dragster in the Bay Classifieds 8 years ago and was the first person to call.These days you're lucky if you get to be the first person to find a treasure online because you're now competing witht he world,not just your local area.
    I also heard that Primedia is selling off all of their magazine group to pay off debt and focus on its free auto & real estate guides.
    We need more mom & pop kind of people running these magazines instead of the greedy corporate billionairs.
    Keep on keepin on.

21. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

If its there you should BURN IT! :D

22. Mojo

Mojo

I like holding those magazines in my hands, I need that tactile experience. I wish someone would straighten out the websites. I read some article in hotrod or whatever, it says "hey check our website for more about this car". I go look at the site, and I can never, EVER find that content.

23. :D Remember what Groucho Marx said " I would'nt want to have anything to do with a club that would have me as a member" (or something dang close to that). :D

24. R&C Lee

R&C Lee
    from SoCal

Any day now and you can bet it'll be worth the wait.

25. Bigdaddy

Bigdaddy
    BANNED

I have had a rod and custom sub for sometime...can you explain to me afew things let me first mention R&C and Rodders Journal are they only mags I subscribe to

** the urgent mail that says your subscription is coming up and there is really like 6 or 7 issues left

**why do people that are re-subscribing get the same rate as the new subscribers.

**when I call in I am talking to someone who is at a call center and says they have nothing to do with the mag they were just hired to pick up the phone and resolve things

26. Oh gotcha, totally agree. Speaking as another longtime VBB site operator/owner, the # of visitors to a site like this or my old ones are staggering when you compare it to the number of subscribers for a given print magazine. The bang-for-buck is much better with online forums with a lot of traffic. Most forums are under monetized too.

27. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Damn straight!

28. 5window

5window

The one that gets me is when it costs more to renew than a new subscription does. I ran into this with CarCraft and just got a new script-cheaper to let a few issues overlap and give the extras away.

I had an automatic renewal for a sports mag and then got an offer for a new script at half the price. A phone call got me the new rate as a renewal.

29. KIRK!

KIRK!

There's a HUGE difference between visitors/impressions and quality views.

Do you have a MySpace page? Do you see those ads in the side column that get hundreds of millions of impressions? Have you ever bought any of the stuff they sell? Me neither, but I certainly have ordered lots of stuff from magazine ads.

30. Buick59

Buick59
    from in a house

Ouch!

Thats Ok I've been blacklisted anyway from that company. And you know I speak the truth when it comes to the ad vs edit stuff.