Register now to get rid of these ads!

Australia's hot rodding pioneers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by unclechop, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Smooth Customs

Smooth Customs

Keel wheels were made by the Leek family, and were sold from their home in Kingsgrove.
    Very nice wheels for the day.
    Have not seen a set since the early 80's.

2. Doc Flathead

Doc Flathead

It's a forward gear, Bob; look at the smoke coming from the rear of the tyre. There was just a good tail wind blowing the smoke away from the car!!!

But who cares; 40 odd years on, while ever there's rubber out there someone will be trying to light it up!!!

3. bobhoneybrook

bobhoneybrook

You may be right Doc, it sure looked strange to me!

4. bobhoneybrook

bobhoneybrook

Glenc, that custom you spoke of from Campsie could have been Ron Wickham's Twin Spinner. It was origonally light brown and had fake exhaust outlets in the sill panels, had a lot of grey primer on it as well. If I could post a pic I would, somewhere I have a shot or two of it. Ron lived in Brighton St Campsie up the road from John Walker of Hot Rod Lincoln fame.

5. unclechop

unclechop

here are some pics of the keel composite wheels
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. unclechop

unclechop

Here's a pic of an old workmates super modified circa 1969.
    was 8ba powered then later jag 6
    [​IMG]

7. bobhoneybrook

bobhoneybrook

What is the history of these two Modifieds? Where did they race? what was the owners name etc etc.

8. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Awesome thread, great stuff

9. unclechop

unclechop

Keith and allan Keating,
    They raced mainly at kembla grange but i think at the showground etc.
    They were scratch built in their back yard simultaniosly(spl) Keiths had the 8ba then a 3.4 jag w trip 2" su's.

10. this is a great thread! here is one.

Attached Files:

11. unclechop

unclechop

Wow.
    That is my new background.
    Any info?

12. Sorry mate no info on that shot just came out of a box.

13. Here is a shot from the drags and one from the farm. A sharp reminder from the yard don't mix business with pleasure, the old man had to knock is first born on the head!

Attached Files:

14. unclechop

unclechop

Wow a kangamoo!
    On a side note in custom rodder-where did your old man get the registration for each specific year figures from?
    also no subs reminder is there a 4th issue soon?

15. Do you mean his (ef 1932) plates?
    Goes to print this week, all reminders and chopped show posters will go out soon. Cheers

Attached Files:

16. unclechop

unclechop

No in the mag there was the number of us made cars imported to aus for each year.
    Cover looks good.....again!

17. i'll get back to you on that one.

18. zomb1e

zomb1e

any pics on the black HR ute used to drag race in the western suburbs of melb early 70s? motor bike carbs ( 4 or 6 i think?) jag box very fast car....

also the "MECHANICAL APE" v8 VW kombi same era?

19. choptop4

choptop4

Great storys!I coming down in November to have a look.Staying with my mate George.He lives just north of Sydny, across the bridge.He's going to take me to all the shows we can fit in.And swap meets.See you all then!

20. Dirtynails

Dirtynails
    from garage

21. flatoz

flatoz

22. Hahahaaa..........Corey you crack me up, there is no way the owner of that bucket would let anyone near it let alone your son.
    Didn't you see the fence around the car.
    Damn kids now a days have no respect................LOL

23. kevron

kevron

hi sorry i have been away for a short break just like to let you know tony andrews is alive and well ithink he introduced himself to me at wintersun 2008 when enquirring about my topalino sedan delivery body he said he was thinking about getting back into nostagic drags

24. I know a lot of well know American cars, especially race cars, have gone to Australia, and I was wondering if any of you know if any famous Aussie cars have come this way and stayed, I know I have seen some early Holden and other Australian cars on here and other places on the WEB that really looked good and would be a real different rod for the States, just curious

25. Doc Flathead

Doc Flathead

Until recently not much more had been done towards the restoration of the Seaward Customline, but several weeks ago we obtained a donor car - a '53 - to provide body structural parts for the resurrection.
    We have decided to restore the car as it appeared in Australian Rodding World, May 1965, for several reasons, but mainly:
    The disposal of the final front guard/ bonnet combination gives us no accurate reference for its reproduction; Photographs show quite clearly that it was assymetrical left to right, and the drawer pulls of the grille seem to have been installed in a rather random fashion. To correctly reproduce the final form these inaccuracies would have to be reproduced; we are quite sure that they were not intentional. A similar condition exists with the rear "orifice".
    The workmanship and accuracy of the first modifications - rear doors and quarters - appears to be quite good, and photo's of the first mods to the front end show a thoughtful blending of components to achieve a nicely balanced appearance; one which we believe that we can correctly reproduce and show Don's original vision for the car.
    One question: Does anyone know which engine it was fitted with when it was featured in Australian Rodding World? We have a choice of 8BA or the Y Block that was fitted in its final form.
    Smooth Customs, do you still have contact details for Don Seaward? There are many things about the car that we would like to know.
    Does anyone else out there have recollections of the car, photo's, further features in magazines,etc? anything at all will be helpful.
    Must post some photos.

26. G'day Gary hope all is well over there,Post some more pic's
    of the ole girl when you get a chance.Tony aka ksk.

27. Doc Flathead

Doc Flathead

Hi Tony,
    Good to hear from you. Things pretty good here; still working on our same projects - the end could be in sight for a couple of them, got to make room for the Customline!! Hope all going well with you. Will check your website later, I'm off to work - me, retire? What's that??!! Gary

28. fullhouse296

fullhouse296
    from Australia

Keely wheel centres were cast by the late Ron Belshore at Kingsgrove .He raced a hot flatty powered speedboat at Georges river,that was race prepped by the Waggot boys .

29. Captain Chaos

Captain Chaos
    from Missery

Heres a few tanks I spotted in a shed on my trip down under.
    We went to the Fri. night cruise and a car clubs dance on sat. where the Flattrakkers played .
    I flew 13,000 miles to look at cars LOL

Attached Files:

30. Diggin' this thread. Project sounds good Doc.
    Here's a nice looking sectioned Humpy for you Rustygem. It's an old feature ('75? - Aust. H- Rodding Review). It says the owner/ builder was a fella named Rob Burns. 4 doors, good shape- turbo'd 215 Buick V8. I've pasted this article in my ' more please' profile album.
    Can anyone shed any light on this car ? Where is it or what became of it ?

The other two pics are of cars a lot of older fellas here may recognize.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 26, 2009